Canon EOS 350D at Comex

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeyt

Aug 8, 2006
Woodlands
Earlier went to Comex and saw this promotion for Canon EOS 350D with kit lens 17 - 55mm going for $1399 which come with the following freebies
1) 2 x 1gb memory card
2) 1 EOS bag
3) 1 Tripod

Optional to purchase Canon EF 75 - 300mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens @ $199 ( Usual Price $430)

I am intending to purchase the bundle which include the 75 - 300mm lens. However I am not sure is it worth the value and worth to buy or nt.

I also want to enquire about the 75 - 300mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens. Does that means that when I mount this lens on my 350D, the aperture that I can set is within the range of f4.0 - f5.6 or?? Sorry, I am new to this. And also the kit lens that come with it. Its 17 -55mm, but what is the aperture?

Thanks for your kind reply and help.

cheeyt said:
Earlier went to Comex and saw this promotion for Canon EOS 350D with kit lens 17 - 55mm going for $1399 which come with the following freebies
1) 2 x 1gb memory card
2) 1 EOS bag
3) 1 Tripod

Optional to purchase Canon EF 75 - 300mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens @ $199 ( Usual Price $430)

I am intending to purchase the bundle which include the 75 - 300mm lens. However I am not sure is it worth the value and worth to buy or nt.

I also want to enquire about the 75 - 300mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens. Does that means that when I mount this lens on my 350D, the aperture that I can set is within the range of f4.0 - f5.6 or?? Sorry, I am new to this. And also the kit lens that come with it. Its 17 -55mm, but what is the aperture?

no... f4.0 is the largest aperture you can use at 75mm of the zoom range and as you go further to 300mm, the largest aperture availble is f5.6. and the smallest aperture thru out the zoom lens should be ranging around f22-32 depending on lens.

Hi cheeyt

I think the kit lens is 18-55mm not 17-55mm.. 17-55mm will be more ex than the whole 350D set liao..:) For the 75-300mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens, you can still use the full set of aperture range from f4.0 to f32 but just that the fastest aperture u can use at 75mm is F4.0 and at 300mm will be F5.6.. Now its a gd time to get 350D as 400D is released, the price has dropped liao.. If you like the camera then get it.. Its a gd camera at a reasonable price..:)

cheeyt said:
1) 2 x 1gb memory card
2) 1 EOS bag
3) 1 Tripod

No, IMO i don't think you should buy the 350D. The 400D is much better for that kind of money. You're already paying $1399+, whats $300 more for such upgrades? Forget the lens package as well, unless you don't mind OOF pics.

This is a question of how much do you want to expand into photography. If you are keen and want those professional pics, I suggest you buy better lens... The kit lens (while it produces reasonably well pics with its price) isn't really that fantastic...

Nonetheless, these packages are there to 'bluff' the newbies. Anyway, there's a cheaper option. Buy the Body else where without the freebies (so cheaper), and buy a kit lens at $70and a 75-300 at ~ $170-200 from our B&S. Can save you around 200 or so

ExplorerZ said:
no... f4.0 is the largest aperture you can use at 75mm of the zoom range and as you go further to 300mm, the largest aperture availble is f5.6. and the smallest aperture thru out the zoom lens should be ranging around f22-32 depending on lens.

Ok. If that is the case. f4.0 - f5.6 is how big the hole open correct.

So where the f22 - 32 come from? Noob la, sorry.

cheeyt said:
Ok. If that is the case. f4.0 - f5.6 is how big the hole open correct.

So where the f22 - 32 come from? Noob la, sorry.

You can change the aperature size using the camera. The smaller the F number, the bigger the hole. Human eye has been tested to be around F1.3 and every increase in F stop is an estimated 2x the amount of light entering

Some lens require bigger F number to achieve sharpness

panzerpunk said:
No, IMO i don't think you should buy the 350D. The 400D is much better for that kind of money. You're already paying $1399+, whats $300 more for such upgrades? Forget the lens package as well, unless you don't mind OOF pics.

This is a question of how much do you want to expand into photography. If you are keen and want those professional pics, I suggest you buy better lens... The kit lens (while it produces reasonably well pics with its price) isn't really that fantastic...

Nonetheless, these packages are there to 'bluff' the newbies. Anyway, there's a cheaper option. Buy the Body else where without the freebies (so cheaper), and buy a kit lens at $70and a 75-300 at ~ $170-200 from our B&S. Can save you around 200 or so

Totally agreed. You should get the 400D afterall the 350D is phasing out liao. Then look around Buy & Sell for a good second lense and you should be on your way to shoot liao. BTW, the 400D also comes with the kit lense, 18-55mm. However, you'll have to wait for your 400D to arrive as I don't think the have ex-stock at the fair. It's for advance booking.

Forget about the EF75-300mm. Top up a few more ten buck and get the Sigma 70-300 macro 1:2. You wont regret it.

Thanks for everyone reply. Guess I also reply to what you have asked too.

I am keen in photography but still in the learning stage, budget wise also quite limit. I am currently using a fixed lens SLR. However I wish to upgrade and saw the promotion by Canon. The reason why I take EOS 350D is the reviews were pretty good.

I am unable to come out the straight cash to pay for it, saving still not enough. Thus using friend credit card to pay. As it is 24mths 0% interest installment plan.

Last but not least, if I can go until f22 - 32, it will be overriding the lens function using the camera mode. Cos going to get tomorrow that why. I really appreciate everyones reply as it is a valuable information to me.

Thanks once again.

cheeyt said:
I am unable to come out the straight cash to pay for it, saving still not enough. Thus using friend credit card to pay. As it is 24mths 0% interest installment plan.

Just a word of advice... I think they have a service charge or something if you're not using NETs and are paying via Credit Card.

Besides, its not advisable to pay by Credit Card.. the interest is the highest amongst all interests

cheeyt said:
Last but not least, if I can go until f22 - 32, it will be overriding the lens function using the camera mode.
What do you mean by this?

panzerpunk said:
Besides, its not advisable to pay by Credit Card.. the interest is the highest amongst all interests
It's the interest rate free instalment plan with the bank so u cant cancel ur card for 24 months. :)

sumball said:
It's the interest rate free instalment plan with the bank so u cant cancel ur card for 24 months. :)

Ok. Just wondering if they can allow me to change from 24mth to 12 mth.. haha

agree!
why go for 350D if 400D is on it's way there?
since u're forking out a little over thousand over 350D, why not fork out a bit more for 400D especially when u're paying a few hundred more to get a brand new model with supposed to be better technology-driven DSLR?
but at the end of the day, it's your choice and i'm just giving my fair share of opinion :)

sumball said:
What do you mean by this?

Guess I couldnt explain myself well enough. But if I buy the camera. Pretty well i guess would figure out what you guys are trying to tell me. Thanks.

Get the 350D.. It's worth it. Spend the extra $300 on stuff like dry cabinet, memory cards, and your flash, better lenses. Forget the 75-300 canon lens. 2nd hand it's worth only about that price ($199). Save the $$ for getting a flash, or a Sigma 70-300.
Spend your money this way, you're gonna get alot better photos than if you spend the extra $300 on features you don't need (which are nice to have).

Of course they can. But buy if u are sure u can repay ya. :)
cheeyt said:
Ok. Just wondering if they can allow me to change from 24mth to 12 mth.. haha

whacker said:
Totally agreed. You should get the 400D afterall the 350D is phasing out liao. Then look around Buy & Sell for a good second lense and you should be on your way to shoot liao. BTW, the 400D also comes with the kit lense, 18-55mm. However, you'll have to wait for your 400D to arrive as I don't think the have ex-stock at the fair. It's for advance booking.

I agree to it and was also quite tempted to it when I saw the price for it. However I am kinda off in the learning stage and actually intent to get a D50 before this Comex had came.

So what the 70 - 300mm f4.0 - 5.6 good for? Just wondering before i get it.

unseen said:
Get the 350D.. It's worth it. Spend the extra $300 on stuff like dry cabinet, memory cards, and your flash, better lenses. Forget the 75-300 canon lens. 2nd hand it's worth only about that price ($199). Save the $$ for getting a flash, or a Sigma 70-300.
Spend your money this way, you're gonna get alot better photos than if you spend the extra $300 on features you don't need (which are nice to have).
Hi Unseen, it's me. How are you doing?

Yes, agree with getting 350D. Actually, can get used from CS around $1k.

btw, none of the extra features of the 400D will allow you to get better images. not a single feature which you might consider spending extra $300 for.
Get yourself a flash, or larger memory card, or better lens..
They'll get you alot further than going around tooting a 18-55 kit lens with no flash and a limited 1gb card.. If you're interested in photography, you'll have to consider a off camera flash at least..

Status
Not open for further replies.