Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
You have seen the pics of the camera, here are the specifications:

Improvement that I like...

0.2 sec startup time vs 10D 2.5 sec

65ms shutter lag, 115ms mirror blackout time (1D has shutter lag of 55ms and mirror blackout of 87ms. For 10D, they are 190ms and 240ms respectively) :eek:

5 fps @ 23 frames* (jpeg) vs 3fps @ 9 frames on 10D
* Up to 44 frames when using Sandisk Extreme CF) :eek:

Robgalbraith tested that the CF write speed for 20D with Sandisk Extreme can be as high as 5.636MB/s, that's faster than D2h (5.088MB/s) & 1D MKII (<4MB/s) :eek:

Faster X-sync shutter speed - up to 1/250 sec

Black & White mode - can customise color filter and toning

USB 2.0 - Great for Zod, who want to use remote capture

New BG-E2 battery grip - includes a six AA battery magazine :eek: (how i wish 1D has that!!)

New Li battery, BP-514 supplies 10.3Wh vs BP-511's 8.1Wh (With Digic II, battery life will be even longer)

Multi-controller 'joystick' - nine-way joystick for panning during playback, AF/WB selection, now you can chimp faster than ever

9 AF pts - definitely faster than 10D, -0.5EV sensitivity, compare to 10D's 0.5EV

new Precision Matte focusing screen, better than 10D

Smaller than 10D by 6 x 2 x 3 mm and lighter by 105g :eek:

Street price - US$1500, cheaper than 10D and only 1/3 of MKII (US$4500) !! I really wonder how Canon able to do that.

More preview:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/20d-part1.shtml
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6458-7153

New Canon Speedlite 580EX

Improvement:

Smaller, lighter, more powerful (GN58)

Zoom linked to sensor sizes* (takes into account the FOV crop caused by a D-SLR sensor)
AWB switched to flash WB* (causes the camera to switch to flash WB in certain circumstances).

*These features only works with EOS 20D, EOS-1D Mark II (firmware update necessary) or later camera models ;(

580EX_top_02.jpg
580EX_top_06.jpg

Nice, the +/- button is replaced by a dial similar to the cam body

access.gif

New battery pack CP-E3, battery life increase by 20%, recycling time reduce by 25% compare to CP-E2. Also, a speedlite bracket SB-E1.

More details can be found at Canon webpage
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/580EX/index.html

Quote from Canon Press Release
Canon's new Speedlite 580EX flash and Compact Battery Pack CP-E3 will be available in October for estimated selling prices of $479* and $220*, respectively.

Thanks Wai

You have made my Fri morning wonderful :)

More news ... Michael Reichmann previews the 20D in the Luminous Landscape. Link here.

haha the cat is out of the bag finally officially...

the improvements look really impressive.

Very solid specs and costs less than 10D.The 20D looks like a solid backup camera for Pros using 1-series.

CP-E3 is interesting, with more power, seems like less of a need for 3rd party battery packs...

I think every D60/D30 user should be upgrading ;)

0.2s startup time from sleep and off mode..!!!OMG! :bigeyes: finally they close up that gap between N and C DSLRs :)

Amfibius said:
More news ... Michael Reichmann previews the 20D in the Luminous Landscape. Link here.

Something interesting...

23 frames buffer from spec. but able to shoot 44 frames (Large jpeg) in a row with Sandisk Extreme CF

however RAW only 6 frames, less than 10D? :dunno:

Also, a wireless photo transmitter for the 20D and EOS-1D Mark II is planned, is expected to connect through the USB 2.0 port on the EOS 20D.

Sounds familiar? The N brand has that too :think:

The 20D seems like a major upgrade to the current 10D. Not just an evolutionary improvement as most on clubsnap has predicted. I believe this camera defines Canon's confirmation of how it has decided to segment the DSLR market. The mount configuration has also finally been decided (apparently up to mid range DSLR for EF-S mount). The EF-S lens classification is similar to the current EF mount with plasticky low end plastic mount and mid range gold ring USM metal mount versions.

With the vast improvement in large file handling, I can see all 1D series aligning to full frame in the near future, even sports models. A new semi-pro range will fill the 1.3X gap vacated by the 1D sports series.

Canon has programmed 1.6X and 1.3X crop into their latest Speedlite 580EX. I guess these 2 CCD formats are here to stay.

I predict the following classification:

Amateur class (1.6X, consumer EF-S) - eg. 300D US$1,000
Serious amateur (1.6X, mid range EF-S) - eg 20D US$1,500
Semi-Pro (1.3X, EF) - yet to be announced US$2,500
Pro (no crop, EF) - Future 1DS and 1D MKIII US$4,500

Just a prediction. The low to mid range system has finally stabilised enough that we can know what to expect. It remains to be seen what the semi-pro series will bring.

I really wonder if the price is wrong. U can get 3 sets of 20D at the price of MKII, and what you miss out are 45pts AF, 8.5fps, 1.3x FLM, better built (weather seal) and better WB.

However with 20D you will get faster write speed, AA battery pack, 9-ways joystick, smaller & lighter body.

hi there, is there any mention about an improvement of dynamic range of the CCD? increase in DR would be nice, not just the resolution. :)

i estimate the retail price of 20D to be somewhat at S$2200. current price for 10D is S$2460, checked 2 weeks ago at MS colour. :devil:

The question sure to spark is from 10D users if they should upgrade, if $$$ is not a problem. Seems that quite a few major changes over the 10D, if you happen to read the preview pages in dpreview.com. If $$$ not problem, should upgrade and keep 10D as backup.

I have $$$ problem, so sure no upgrade for the time being. :cry:

I dunno abt the retail price, but it looks certain that with the up in features from 10D, there will also be a reduction in the retail price in Singapore.

Review on DPreview covers everything..... looks like we'll see plenty of upgraders soon.

nightpiper said:
hi there, is there any mention about an improvement of dynamic range of the CCD? increase in DR would be nice, not just the resolution. :)

i estimate the retail price of 20D to be somewhat at S$2200. current price for 10D is S$2460, checked 2 weeks ago at MS colour. :devil:
that's pretty cheap for 10D!! wonder what is the current sellers of 10D know that or better still, does the buyer for the 2ndhand 10D knows that...

ScoobaKev said:
Review on DPreview covers everything..... looks like we'll see plenty of upgraders soon.

well...not really, still waiting to see more photo sample

such as comparison of noise level, colour, WB, AF speed...etc

Wai, agree with you. The 3 samples posted on the official Canon website is probably insufficient to reach a definite conclusion on the improvements in noise level, WB etc.

the flash looks interesting!

they should have make the flash usable for the older models as well, right? is that another marketing tactic to dump the olders cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.