Canon EOS 1D MkII N

Status
Not open for further replies.

justyn

Feb 4, 2006
www.just-photography.com
Hi All
I've just picked up the 1D MkII N and I am still playing with it to discover all that it can do. Can any other owners enlighten me on whether there are any relaly clever tricks it can do, or problems to look out for?
Thanks
Justyn

justyn said:
Hi All
I've just picked up the 1D MkII N and I am still playing with it to discover all that it can do. Can any other owners enlighten me on whether there are any relaly clever tricks it can do, or problems to look out for?
Thanks
Justyn
The only clever trick I know the 1DMkIIn can do depends on how many clever tricks THE OWNER wants it to do. :bsmilie:

cf 11 set to chioce 2

personal function - disable hunting of lens

load a custom curve

throttle maximum fps down to 6fps

etc etc

Join the photoshoots, and shoot more with the camera. Read the manual. Then you'll be able to answer your own question.

Most of us don't own this camera so can't give much practical advice.

Then again, you seem to already have an impressive portfolio, so I guess just read the manual and play with your new camera.

It is most ridiculous that a buyer of the Canon EOS 1D MkII N does not know what this cam can do .......:bsmilie:

justyn said:
Hi All
Thanks
Justyn

Will get jeer at for such question from a 1DM2 owner.

Canonised said:
It is most ridiculous that a buyer of the Canon EOS 1D MkII N does not know what this cam can do .......:bsmilie:

How nice to see such helpful comments. I wonder how many times you knew EVERYTHING about a new camera BEFORE you bought it.

Of course, I know enough about it to use it properly, but there ALWAYS some things that the manual doesn't fully cover or something that people have discovered that are useful tips or something that has gone wrong and may be worth looking out for...

If anyone else (thanks to User111) has anything constructive to offer I'd love to hear it.
Justyn

The only thing ridiculous is this comment.

Did you know everything about cars before you learned to drive? Did you know everything about Photoshop, or whatever software you use for PP before you started using it, my guess is that you still don't know everything, sure you might know 'enough' to do what you want to do, but could you learn more to do things quicker, smarter, better? My guess is that you're still learning. Knowing how to take a picture and knowing how to make the most out of a new camera are not the same thing.

If you don't have anything constructive to add then go read another thread.

Canonised said:

cyber_m0nkey said:

Did you know everything about cars before you learned to drive? Did you know everything about Photoshop, or whatever software you use for PP before you started using it, my guess is that you still don't know everything, sure you might know 'enough' to do what you want to do, but could you learn more to do things quicker, smarter, better? My guess is that you're still learning. Knowing how to take a picture and knowing how to make the most out of a new camera are not the same thing.

Hi man, boy you are right!

The CF11 is quite serious issue...disable it.

Does the 1dMK11 non 'N' allow custom curve download like the original 1d?

Could someone be sweet and kind enough to pm me on the steps. I knew how to do this easily with the D2h I used to own. I feel Canon's interface is somehow more complicated...

cyber_m0nkey said:

:thumbsup:
cheers!

The other thing that you might want to do is to use number 3 in C.Fn-04.

That is one really useful thing that I did when I was using my old cam. Something like a child proof function too.

The vertical shutter button is rather sensitive on a 1dmk2. U may like to test whether Canon has improved it on the "N" version.

NorthernLights said:
Hi man, boy you are right!

The CF11 is quite serious issue...disable it.

Does the 1dMK11 non 'N' allow custom curve download like the original 1d?

Could someone be sweet and kind enough to pm me on the steps. I knew how to do this easily with the D2h I used to own. I feel Canon's interface is somehow more complicated...

Yes you can download custome curves into the MkII, but this has been replaced 'picture styles' for the MkIIn (ala 5D).

Not sure how to download the curves to the camera, but I think it is done using the DPP software.

But on the other hand, there is not too much point in uploading curves for the Mk2.

I didn't upload any while I was using it.

NathanLogic said:
The vertical shutter button is rather sensitive on a 1dmk2. U may like to test whether Canon has improved it on the "N" version.

I suspect not. Of course, one of the ways to make it less sensitive is to turn the vertical grip off.

agape01 said:
But on the other hand, there is not too much point in uploading curves for the Mk2.

I didn't upload any while I was using it.

Custom curves don't even apply if you only shoot RAW.

Also, from what I have read Canon has made the shutter button on the vertical grip less sensitve - 1 of the 11 'major' ;) improvements

cyber_m0nkey said:
Custom curves don't even apply if you only shoot RAW.

Also, from what I have read Canon has made the shutter button on the vertical grip less sensitve - 1 of the 11 'major' ;) improvements

Alrighty... then I hope that you enjoy uploading curves that would be useful in your photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.