Canon EOS 1000D

Status
Not open for further replies.

cqprime

Dec 8, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Hi to All Seniors

I just got a new canon camera with 18-55mm and 70-300mm lens... Where can i read up to learn more of how to handle my camera and new lens. I am totally new to Canon DSLR and never played DSLR cameras before.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have tried first before you buy? If you're not ready for a DSLR, you should have thought hard about it first.

Anyway, try reading your manual. It has a lot of tips. Also, you can borrow a book from the library. And read the newbies guide stickies here in the forum.

Thanks William and Rashkae, i go explore around the clubsnap forum too

Last edited:
From what i read around here, many go for Canon or Nikon but u are different..what made u go for Sony Camera?

Maybe you should have tried first before you buy? If you're not ready for a DSLR, you should have thought hard about it first.

Anyway, try reading your manual. It has a lot of tips. Also, you can borrow a book from the library. And read the newbies guide stickies here in the forum.

Congrats on your purchase.

If you are totally new to digital photography, other than your manual, go read the notes for newbies. It's contains useful information on the "what's" and the "how's".

Have u start shooting with your camera? Go and try it out, find out what you like to shoot and what are the characteristics of your cam.

Most importantly, have fun. :D

the stickies for newbie is very useful
:devil:

Well today raining whole day or else i be out there trying my photo...nothing to do but snap photos of my dogs.

Congrats on your purchase.

If you are totally new to digital photography, other than your manual, go read the notes for newbies. It's contains useful information on the "what's" and the "how's".

Have u start shooting with your camera? Go and try it out, find out what you like to shoot and what are the characteristics of your cam.

Most importantly, have fun. :D

Not true.

Raining does not mean cannot shoot. Check out some of the thread here. Got people shoot at home and get very nice pics. Apple, plants, water droplets from tap, toilet insects, pets, etc. Now raining right? How about the water droplets on the window?

I have even brought my cam to void deck to shoot insects.:bsmilie:

Well today raining whole day or else i be out there trying my photo...nothing to do but snap photos of my dogs.

Very true too...well i reading up lots of info...kanna overloaded...

Not true.

Raining does not mean cannot shoot. Check out some of the thread here. Got people shoot at home and get very nice pics. Apple, plants, water droplets from tap, toilet insects, pets, etc. Now raining right? How about the water droplets on the window?

I have even brought my cam to void deck to shoot insects.:bsmilie:

Anyway, try reading your manual.

Hmmm... Canon has been massively advertising for this camera with the phrase "Manual not included". So there is a manual after all?

From what i read around here, many go for Canon or Nikon but u are different..what made u go for Sony Camera?

Many reasons actually... I normally wouldn't really want to answer this as it usually results in a flame war, but since you asked... :)

1. Ergonomics. I just loved the way it felt in my hand. Fits like a glove.
2. Ease of use. Sony's joystick-based controls are now starting to be copied by others, such as Canon. and it's sooooo easy to use.
3. Built-in image stabilization - IS with all lenses, even the fantastic old Minolta lenses.
4. Great image quality - sharp, great contrast, class-leading resolution.

To add: when I first decided on a DSLR, I researched the Canon and Nikon models as well, and from a feature perspective, narrowed it to one Canon model (was the 350D then I think) and a Nikon (D70 I think). But after trying them, I felt the nikon was more comfortable. Then i passed by a Sonystyle, saw the A100 and gave it a try. Loved it so much I decided to research on it, and found it has what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Many reasons actually... I normally wouldn't really want to answer this as it usually results in a flame war, but since you asked... :)

2. Ease of use. Sony's joystick-based controls are now starting to be copied by others, such as Canon. and it's sooooo easy to use.
3. Built-in image stabilization - IS with all lenses, even the fantastic old Minolta lenses.

Heh maybe I turn the question around why did you pick Canon and only considered Nikon as alternative , while there are Pentax , Olympus , Sony in the market ? ;)

Think most Sony users like the ergonomics and the ease of use ( even on low end camera) of their DSLRs. Thats what won me over to Sony.

Having said that , other Brands have their own appeal and can take great pictures , so really , its depends on the individual's reasons for getting a particular type of camera =)

Having said that , other Brands have their own appeal and can take great pictures , so really , its depends on the individual's reasons for getting a particular type of camera =)

Exactly... Most importantly, make up your own mind... It will be *you* that uses the camera, so get the one that feels right. Don't ask others to make your decisions for you.

Well i did consider Sony as i was in a Sony concept shop in AMK and i found the information in the shop informative.

My dad was using Nikon manual cameras when i was a kid and i love playing with the old Nikon camera....so i put Nikon into consideration. However a friend told me the Nikon lens is costly...that was his one off comment.

And i consider Canon because of a friend is using the Canon DSLR older model and the photos were well taken.

I went to Sony concept shop three times the final time was in suntec, for me i like to be served and explained by the shop staff....if they dont bother i dont bother to buy n give comms to people whom dont deserve it. But if indeed if they bother to serve me i would consider Sony vs Canon. lol

Well now my research for camera purchase choice is done, moving next to understand how to use it.

To add: when I first decided on a DSLR, I researched the Canon and Nikon models as well, and from a feature perspective, narrowed it to one Canon model (was the 350D then I think) and a Nikon (D70 I think). But after trying them, I felt the nikon was more comfortable. Then i passed by a Sonystyle, saw the A100 and gave it a try. Loved it so much I decided to research on it, and found it has what I was looking for.

How do you end up manage getting the lense first? Inheritance?

Not to question your ability but I said this before you "waste money" in this current hard time.
You said you never played with DSLR before I think you should go for prosumer camera. If budget is a constraint, go for second hand.
Why?
DSLR is not for everyone, some people get frustrated with the many options, end up forgetting to set correct options, take bad pictures and dump the DSLR.
Or go totally P-mode Auto-all, which defeat the purpose of using DSLR.

If you really want a pro-sumer camera and complain that the lense cannot be changed, check out Panasonic G1. This is not DSLR (no mirror) but you can change the lense, unlike other prosumer camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.