Canon EL1 Speedlite

Ah Keong

Dec 3, 2014
South
Canon has released a powerful new Speedlite with a rechargeable battery, an LED modeling light and new Xenon bulb and EOS M50 Mark II mirrorless digital camera
B&H Photo is pleased to share that Canon has announced a new powerful on-camera flash unit with a Xenon bulb for consistent output and a rechargeable Li-ion battery that will enable up to 335 flashes per charge. Designed for professionals and advanced amateurs, the Canon Speedlite EL-1 provides a Guide Number of 197' at ISO 100 and 200mm, which is comparable to that of the 600EX II-RT Speedlite.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201013006173/en/

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
SGD$1,500 for a flash is for the professionals and rich hobbyists.
Canon may need to make small and medium sized flashes in this new series as this one may be too big and it is not for everyone.
If I am not mistaken, Xenon tube has been used in flashes of various brands for a long time.

Reactions: Ah Keong

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Given the hefty price tag, it won't sell well.

one eye jack

Jun 11, 2011
Given the hefty price tag, it won't sell well.
I beg to differ. Let's say for a Canon user or pro, this lithium flash is the answer to having a big battery tethered to your flash and body. Precisely it is lithium powered the advantage is faster recycling flash time to full power. If you are an event or wedding photographer it will mean getting the moment rather than waiting for the conventional battery powered flash to recharge for the next shot. Technically no flash is too big as the higher powered flash gets to fire more often thus not missing any crucial moments which the photographer is not likely to miss.The reason is ttl flash computes the actual light output need which is not always full power.

Now we all know the chinese manufacturers have produced their lithium battery version in the V860 series but how well it works on a canon camera is another story but at a fraction of what canon sells it for. Well at least the canon pros have something they can rely on?

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
You are speaking for the professionals. How much revenue do sale of this flash from Pros contribute to Canon? I can tell you that it is very little.

This flash may suit the pros but definitely not for the mass market.

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Given the high price tag, it will help China made flashes more sellable to the masses. Thanks to Canon.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
There is a reason for existence for this flash. And that is why Canon made it.
Must have been based on feedback from professionals.
For example if one is a White House official photographer or the Vatican official photographer.
Any organisation that has a big budget can buy this flash.
Usually flash is used to photo high profile events. Like example - Trump and Kim Jong Un signing a document in Singapore.
As a news photographer you cannot ask the VIPs to wait for your flash to recharge or to pose again.
Big media companies like CNN, Reuters have big budgets to buy the equipment they need.
For hobbyists, it may be exceeding our requirements.

I find the very low power ratio interesting.
Normal flashes can go down to about 1/256th power.
This flash can go to 1/8192 power.
Again this must have been based on feedback from professionals for very special/scientific reasons.

Power ratios are controlled by the flash’s duration. Not by the intensity of the light.
At full power it may be 1/800sec.
At the 1/256 power ratio settings a flash may be 1/30,000th sec.

At 1/8192 power what is the flash duration?
Wow... is it 1/200,000th sec or even shorter?

I think there is a Technical Use for this feature.

Last edited:

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
There is a reason for existence for this flash. And that is why Canon made it.
Must have been based on feedback from professionals.
For example if one is a White House official photographer or the Vatican official photographer.
Any organisation that has a big budget can buy this flash.
Usually flash is used to photo high profile events. Like example - Trump and Kim Jong Un signing a document in Singapore.
As a news photographer you cannot ask the VIPs to wait for your flash to recharge or to pose again.
Big media companies like CNN, Reuters have big budgets to buy the equipment they need.
For hobbyists, it may be exceeding our requirements.

I find the very low power ratio interesting.
Normal flashes can go down to about 1/256th power.
This flash can go to 1/8192 power.
Again this must have been based on feedback from professionals for very special/scientific reasons.

Power ratios are controlled by the flash’s duration. Not by the intensity of the light.
At full power it may be 1/800sec.
At the 1/256 power ratio settings a flash may be 1/30,000th sec.

At 1/8192 power what is the flash duration?
Wow... is it 1/200,000th sec or even shorter?

I think there is a Technical Use for this feature.
Definitely. There are reason(s) for Canon to develop certain products such as for Olympics, and so forth. Having said that, whether such products contribute to the bottom line is another story. For this hefty flash, only some PROs and rick kids will buy.