Canon EFS 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) - AutoFocus Problem

stan2606

Jan 2, 2006
Hi everyone,

My Canon EFS 18-55mm Kit lens' AutoFocus is not working properly: the focusing ring only turns in one direction but not the other. Not sure if it is caused by the AF motor.
Have anyone else come across this problem? Is it true that AF problems are common for this kit lens?
It is not under warranty anymore. So I am wondering if it is worth sending it to CSC for checking (wonder if it costs money for checking only without repair) and repair.
I would really appreciate your comments!
Thank you and have a pleasant day. :)

Hi everyone,

My Canon EFS 18-55mm Kit lens' AutoFocus is not working properly: the focusing ring only turns in one direction but not the other. Not sure if it is caused by the AF motor.
Have anyone else come across this problem? Is it true that AF problems are common for this kit lens?
It is not under warranty anymore. So I am wondering if it is worth sending it to CSC for checking (wonder if it costs money for checking only without repair) and repair.
I would really appreciate your comments!
Thank you and have a pleasant day. :)

I just confirmed with CSC, assessment will be free, so I will only need to pay for the repair.
Changing the AF motor will cost $90, after which the motor will be covered under a 3-month warranty.