Canon EFS 17-85mm IS USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanycjw

Dec 25, 2008
Singapore
Hi bros/Sis

Has anyone of you uses the "Canon EFS 17-85mm IS USM" lens??

I want to buy a walk around lens and wonder is this a good choice?

Can anyone please upload one or two photo to see (possible link me to the EXIF data)

Presently, I have 18-200mm and most of the time don't need that much zoom.

Thank you lol.......Thanks again

i owned the 17-85 before changing to a 17-55.

the 17-85 served me well. no dust issues. pics on my copy were 'ok' sharp in my opinion. indoor use is quite difficult without a flash.. if its not too dark, the IS really helps.
i tried my friend's 18-200 and wasnt too happy with the IQ..

i do quite a bit of low light shooting so changed to the 17-55. the 17-55 is sharper than the 17-85. if u can save up, the 17-55 would be a better buy.

i owned the 17-85 before changing to a 17-55.

the 17-85 served me well. no dust issues. pics on my copy were 'ok' sharp in my opinion. indoor use is quite difficult without a flash.. if its not too dark, the IS really helps.
i tried my friend's 18-200 and wasnt too happy with the IQ..

i do quite a bit of low light shooting so changed to the 17-55. the 17-55 is sharper than the 17-85. if u can save up, the 17-55 would be a better buy.

Thankyou for reply, I have 18-200mm and same feeling that it wasn't sharp enough. My is Sigma DC OS.

You mentioned 18-55, is yours IS version, I ask about 17-85mm cos' it has a longer reach.

Do you and anyone have other recommendation for a sharp copy maybe others brand?

Thanks so much:)

The Canon EFS 17-55 F2.8 IS USM is a different class from the kit lens EFS 18-55 IS.

If you're very concerned about the reach, there may not be a suitable alternative in the same price range. If picture quality is most important, the 17-55 is probably the best choice. Else, if on a budget, the 18-55 IS should be good enough. The picture quality should be comparable to the 17-85, althou the 17-85 have other advantages like a longer reach, better build, USM, etc.. and a much higher cost.

Was my lens when I had 40D. Excellent range, great IS and good USM system. Bad distortion and poor CA control at wide end, and a rather slow lens. Nevertheless, I believe many have captured great images with it. With that, I can only recommend you to get this lens at 2nd hand as it's resale value isn't good.

Thankyou all Bros..

I will take advise to look for a second hand (used) 17-85mm cos' need the extra reach.
Also noting that this lens does not have a good resale value.

I Thanx again for great feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.