Canon EF 70 - 200mm F/4 IS USM or F/2.8 IS2 USM for traveling

Which lens will u choose for traveling

Results are only viewable after voting.

SotonG5983

Feb 8, 2009
Tampines
Hi all, would u carry a EF70-200mm F/4 IS USM = 0.76kg or EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS USM = 1.4kg for traveling?

Hi all, would u carry a EF70-200mm F/4 IS USM = 0.76kg or EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS USM = 1.4kg for traveling?

I'd bring the 70-200 f4L IS.

The f2.8L IS II is a monster of a lens. No question about that.. no joke to carry it around the whole day.

going US so wan to bring as backup.

Personally i find the 70-200mm range very useful and indispensable, especially for portrait shots and street shooting; for capturing those candid moments of strangers and friends alike, allowing you to shoot from a distance.

It's definitely more useful than just a backup. :)

im bringing my 70-200mm 2.8 is to japan. IMO as long as you're used to it, it shouldnt be a problem.

2.8 for the better subject isolation qualities :D

And end up like one post which I read.

Goes something like this "He went around and shot wide open for his entire travel, ended up when he came back and reviewed his photos, no one was able to tell where he shot those photos." :bsmilie:

And end up like one post which I read.

Goes something like this "He went around and shot wide open for his entire travel, ended up when he came back and reviewed his photos, no one was able to tell where he shot those photos." :bsmilie:

Epic story haha

this range is useless for travels.

i brought my 17-40, 35, 135 for my HK trip and only use my 135 once.

Personally i find the 70-200mm range very useful and indispensable, especially for portrait shots and street shooting; for capturing those candid moments of strangers and friends alike, allowing you to shoot from a distance.

US streets may not have so many places for u to camp and zoom with this lens.

TS u better do some research on this if u want to do some street shoots.

for me i dun use zoom to do street shoots, i prefer a wide lens to go up close to my subjects and shoot.

F4 IS for me even if I had the choice.
The F2.8 II is heavy, if I wanted to lug around that kind of weight, I would take a 100-400L, more flexible. :bsmilie:

Its not true that this range is "useless". When you need it, you would beg to have it. It all depends on your photography style. I was in Guilin last Dec and was on a "mountain" at the right time to shoot the setting sun. The f4 IS was good, but I had to add a 1.4x converter to get the additional reach.

Not trying to be rude but this kind of posts always never fail to amaze me.

You mean one decides on what to bring for travel based on a poll?! So if there are more votes for the f/4, you'll bring it? And if f/2.8 "wins", you'll rather choose f/2.8? Based on how many sample size you're taking for the poll to be justified? And whose opinions?

Come on, surely you have the greatest power to decide what you want! Who the heck knows where you will be going to shoot, what is it for, if you mind the weight, if you need the f/2.8, etc etc etc.

Pardon me, sounds like OT here but it's actually not. But it looks like you're not certain what you want to do, not just with the lens but maybe what to shoot. Get that right first and you'll get your answer.

my qs is do you have both of the lens already or you haven't bought yet?

Big white lens shooting strangers in the US. Really don't think that's a good idea. People you shoot might confront you, police might think you're a pervert (if you shoot near a park) / terrorist (if you shoot around buidlings)

I think its a no brainer...if its just travelling for holidays, the F4 IS of course! do you really need the F2.8 on holiday?

this range is useless for travels.

i brought my 17-40, 35, 135 for my HK trip and only use my 135 once.

If you are going to take same landscape like mountain ranges it will be useful. 70-200 f/4 will be more viable as it's much lighter for your travel.

Its not true that this range is "useless". When you need it, you would beg to have it. It all depends on your photography style. I was in Guilin last Dec and was on a "mountain" at the right time to shoot the setting sun. The f4 IS was good, but I had to add a 1.4x converter to get the additional reach.

yes you are right, depending on your photography style.

i only use 70-200 when i shoot portraits.

landscape wise, UWA shoots always look nicer to me.