Canon EF 70 - 200mm F/4 IS USM or F/2.8 IS2 USM for traveling

Which lens will u choose for traveling

Results are only viewable after voting.

If you are going to take same landscape like mountain ranges it will be useful.

I only use 1 lens during my Mt Kinabalu trip. And that is a 17-40mm. It is more then sufficient for my needs.

Like I mention. Mountain scapes to me looks nicer on UWA shots then zoom shots.

Zoom too much, you will omit the clouds, and the surroundings of the ranges.

And your zoom shoots will not bring u much memories of the "perilous" journey you took to trek through the mountains.

Weight is also an issue when u trek on mountains and you may not have so much space to use your zoom lens to shoot and end up missing some shoots.

Last edited:
For travelling, I'll definitely go as light as possible. If you have to bring a 70-200mm, then go with the f/4L IS. Unless this is an all-out photography trip, of course, in which case you can bring whatever equipment you want.

Sidetrack - For 70% of the price of your 17-55mm f/2.8, you can have the 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6. You trade a bit of IQ and some speed for lightweight and wider range. Can consider.

For travelling, I'd bring neither. Rather bring my Tamron 17-50 and enjoy the trip.

Travelling, normally prefer wide angle. But if once in a lifetime trip, will drag the 70-200 2.8 II along. Heavy but very good lens.

for me during travelling, usually it is EFS17-55 or EF24-105....

I have lugged 70-200 f2.8 before for trips, streets n landscapes alike. Really personal preferences. Teles can make awesome landscape shots as well. I m dreaming of a 100-400 for my next trip.

Ryan

Light is good.

If you're only bringin it as a backup... Then just bring the 70-200 f/4 IS