Canon EF 50mm f1.8 Mark II - Do you always shot at f1.8 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdster_heng

Dec 5, 2004
Hi,Guys.

Hope someone can shine some light on me.

When using such len. do you always shoot at f1.8 ?

I had shoot all this images on f2.8 and find that images was not so sharp as I would expect (image seems 'soft')

Can someone give some comments on this.

Thanks alot

4210422500_06df332e5d.jpg

4210425256_285f005c4e.jpg

4209661167_7809e4443d.jpg

Strange. This lens is supposed to be quite sharp from f2.5 onwards

Ya. Or is it because the way I focus / compose the image?

Understand the sweet spot for this len is from f2.8 to f7.1

Front or back focusing? Can you confirm that it's focusing, where it's supposed to?

Picture 1 (Flower) - When I review the image on the camera, the focus dots were on 3 flowers, which I feels it is quite sharp

Picture 2 (book) - The focusing is on the wordings on the book

Picture 3 (lady with book) - Focusing on the book

well, in the first place have you tried taking at f/1.8 before? what do you make of the difference?

Used to own this lens and i rarely shoot at f/1.8 cos it's soft. So usually f/2.8 onwards.

Haha, nope, didn't try it a f1.8 before, intend to do some shots with the same scene but with different f-stops soon (f2, f5.6, f7.1, f8), what you guys think???

But what is your observation/experience you guys have with this len ?

But,guys. so far from the comments, it seems like this len offer "QUITE" sharp images, am i right to say that ?

So is my expectation too high ???

Although I still intend to continue 'testing' this len and hopefully find its sweet spot. .

But,guys. so far from the comments, it seems like this len offer "QUITE" sharp images, am i right to say that ?

So is my expectation too high ???

Although I still intend to continue 'testing' this len and hopefully find its sweet spot. .

It's only 'quite sharp' at around f/2.5. And nope, your expectations are not high.

With the lens, I normally shoot at F2.8. That the reason nowadays I used mainly the 17-50F2.8 instead. :)

Hey, guys since I am already shooting at f2.8, what is the next few f/stops which i should try.

f2, f5.6, f7.1 ????

Hey, guys since I am already shooting at f2.8, what is the next few f/stops which i should try.

f2, f5.6, f7.1 ????

You should state what you want to achieve. What's the point of the different aperture settings? Do you know how it affects the image? If you want to test the lens you better get the lens test charts and conduct a structured and methodical test in defined conditions rather than random snaps where additional errors can easily affect the results.

Portrait w/ landscape - f8 ??? (So that foreground & Background is in focus)

Portrait only - f2 or f5.6 ??? (Wants to blur out the background but have sharpness in the foreground)

Portrait w/ landscape - f8 ??? (So that foreground & Background is in focus)

Portrait only - f2 or f5.6 ??? (Wants to blur out the background but have sharpness in the foreground)

Do note that these also depends on distance of yr subject to the background and u to yr subject, and also focal length of yr lens.

check for AF accuracy issues firstly.

For this lens, i feel that beyond f/2.5 it is ok. Using wide open usually results in slightly off-focus esp at close distance.

Hmmm...Have U tried SPOT METERING n SPOT AF at f2.8?

From the pix, seems like it's on Local AF with Multiple Metering Mode in Use hense a NOT SO SHARP Image...

correct me if I'm Wrong....:eek::embrass:

Hmmm...Have U tried SPOT METERING n SPOT AF at f2.8?
From the pix, seems like it's on Local AF with Multiple Metering Mode in Use hense a NOT SO SHARP Image...
correct me if I'm Wrong....:eek::embrass:

Just tell us how the metering will affect the AF accuracy. Curious :)

Hi all, I am rather new to DSLR and was currently looking and thinking of getting this lens too.. was reading ard and got to see all your comments and pts.. Could you please emphasis more on the SPOT METERING n SPOT AF? Dun quite understand on this.. thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.