Canon EF 50mm F1.4 Disassembly Procedure

Bro Fatigue, where to buy this spanner? I cant find it and hardware show dunno what I'm talking about.

That spanner has interchangeable tips but not available in SG. It cost around $90 to $110 plus shipping from Japan. Taiwan version is a bit cheaper

Edmund Optics sells this kind of spanners:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/browse.cfm?categoryid=776

I just upgraded to a customized heavy duty spanners. Best spanner so far.

Last edited:
thanks pal.

Thank you very much.

I got my lens apart, cleaned it by getting all the dirt and water out, put it back together and just have two issues.

1. The focus isnt working properly now. It will only focus on items that are within 3-4 feet of me or closer and this is even in manual mode.

2. The very first two little screws you take out that hold in the sensor wont go back into the holes flush so with them in, I cant mount it to the camera.

So do I need to take this thing back apart to fix the focus issue? Could something possibly be out of line?

Can I continue to operate the lens once the focus issue is corrected without those two screws in the sensor?

Thank you very much.

I got my lens apart, cleaned it by getting all the dirt and water out, put it back together and just have two issues.

1. The focus isnt working properly now. It will only focus on items that are within 3-4 feet of me or closer and this is even in manual mode.

2. The very first two little screws you take out that hold in the sensor wont go back into the holes flush so with them in, I cant mount it to the camera.

So do I need to take this thing back apart to fix the focus issue? Could something possibly be out of line?

Can I continue to operate the lens once the focus issue is corrected without those two screws in the sensor?

1. Review procedure on pictures #10 and #11
2. You should see the holes of the contact pin terminal (the black plastic that has the contact pins / Is the the part you refer to as sensor?)before putting the screws.

Fatigue, you are amazing! You saved my lens. If I can follow this tutorial and have never touched a camera lens before owning my first one four months ago and fix it, I think anyone could.

The issue with the focus was of course exactly where you said and the problem was I had the white things screwed in too tight not allowing the movement needed for focus. Loosened them up some and it works like a champ.

Those last two screws that secure the connection still wont go in, not sure why but it has a built in peg that holds it in place and I hope with that along with the metal bracket, it wont go anywhere.

Thank you again for this amazing tutorial

Last edited:
Hello fatigue,

I have tried out on the 28-105 mm lens but i stopped at the AF/M switch. Possible to show a clearer pic on how you remove the switch? thnx.

Also, will the lens out of alignment if we disassemble and put them back?

Those last two screws that secure the connection still wont go in, not sure why but it has a built in peg that holds it in place and I hope with that along with the metal bracket, it wont go anywhere.

Fix the connection (plastic that holds the terminals) first before the back cover so you can easily fix the screw. Once it's fixed, just snap the back cover

Hello fatigue,

I have tried out on the 28-105 mm lens but i stopped at the AF/M switch. Possible to show a clearer pic on how you remove the switch? thnx.

Also, will the lens out of alignment if we disassemble and put them back?

There's a small plastic catch, disengage then slide.
The key is to put it back exactly like the original so the alignment will not be affected.
You need to put markings

hey new here.. i was wondering if you can go straight to the focus ring by removing the 3 screws in the front of the lens? or do i have to start from step one? and would i be able to blow the dirt thats stuck under the focus ring off this way? or any other ideas? any input would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advacne
-wai

hey new here.. i was wondering if you can go straight to the focus ring by removing the 3 screws in the front of the lens? or do i have to start from step one? and would i be able to blow the dirt thats stuck under the focus ring off this way? or any other ideas? any input would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advacne
-wai

Minor dust doesn't affect your photos.
Just ignore the dust, not worth opening the lens.

I just got this lens and it has the same problem. I would like to fix the problem but the pictures in the thread are not showing up. It only shows the clubSNAP logo.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So,
If someone sell the lens in clubsnap, with fungus with a cheap price just grab it and clean the fungus by myself....:bsmilie:

Thanks for providing such good info to the community :)

Hello Fatique,

thanks for your tutorial. I'm trying it out at the moment, for my lens wouldn't focus anymore and i think the focusring is the problem. However, I have a question. How do i remove the FCP from the FCB? I have no knowlegde about these things and don't see how i can dismantle without damaging. How you can help me out!

edit...
Oh I see..

Last edited:
Thanks bro fatigue, it's an eye opener!

This is absolutely fantastic... U r the man....
Great job and thanks for sharing :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My lens wont focus properly and stutters, have to engage the auto focus a few times before it will focus.

Have opened it up to check but the holder is not bent. An idea what else is causing this fault?