Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro OR Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8

Lindaypp

May 27, 2011
Asia
Gentlemen,

I bought Tamron 90mm yesterday but have a week to change it to the Canon. Therefore I am having mix feeling between those 2.
Please advice between Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro OR Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8.

Price different is 300 SGD.
Tamron 90mm: 540 SGD
Canon 100mm: 840 SGD

*Not refering to Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro*

Thank you very much !! :)

Cheers,
Linda

Last edited:
Are you able to go test out both lenses?

Are you able to go test out both lenses?

Guess I can if I request from the shop.

*Good idea but I am reading up some online research about those 2 still*
Thank you :)

This is something I am also very keen to find out as well since I am intending to get my own macro lens soon.

What are your thoughts on using the Tamron 90mm lens so far? :think:
Is this lens good enough to capture your macro subjects as you desire?

Personally, I am currently leaning more towards the Canon 100mm after reading online reviews and such, but I would sure like a personal opinion on this matter :bsmilie:

This is something I am also very keen to find out as well since I am intending to get my own macro lens soon.

What are your thoughts on using the Tamron 90mm lens so far? :think:
Is this lens good enough to capture your macro subjects as you desire?

Personally, I am currently leaning more towards the Canon 100mm after reading online reviews and such, but I would sure like a personal opinion on this matter :bsmilie:

Many of my friends use the Tamron 90 for macro and they are able to capture exactly what they want. For $300 price difference I would prefer the Tamron 90

Many of my friends use the Tamron 90 for macro and they are able to capture exactly what they want. For $300 price difference I would prefer the Tamron 90

Thanks for your reply Spree! Seems like if the Tamron 90 is good enough, the extra cash could be put into a speedlite instead.
This is something for me to consider on :)

Would agree with spree. Read many good review for tamron 90mm macro.

With the money saved you can get a external flash

And there you go your ready for macro

If $$ not in the equation, without a doubt it's canon. 1 important feature that many like in a macro lens is the barrel doesn't extend out when focusing. The canon AF is faster and quieter. But with $300 difference, it can sway either way depend on individual.

Using the tamron and I love it to death. Of cos, if u can afford the canon, would rather u get the L version. Sometimes the weather gets a little wet and when you're outdoors shooting macro the weather sealing will come in handy.. A little bit more than none. :bsmilie: welcome to join me next time I go if you wanna try out my lens. :)

I am using the canon 100mm macro (non-IS), loved it... very very sharp lens. It was between the canon and tamron at the time of my purchase, when I test out both lenses, I don't like the Tamron (not its image quality though, just that its barrel extended).

Anyway, both lens are pretty amazing, you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Btw, this is a good read;

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/can-tam-macro/

Last edited:
Is it important to have IS for Marco lens?

You can actually get a grey set sigma 150mm macro for just a little more than the canon 100mm macro. Good optics and comes with hood and tripod collar.

No shop will do any calibration anyway.... It's a matter of how would a calibration job be honored. Free? No pay? Or someone else pay?

Yea what I meant was how would the shop cover the calibration. Sigma's calibration is $150 every time you do it without warranty, not worth it if the shop doesn't honour the calibration

Cowseye said:
No shop will do any calibration anyway.... It's a matter of how would a calibration job be honored. Free? No pay? Or someone else pay?

Base on my knowledge, shop only warranty on defect & malfunction of lens.

SamTac said:
Base on my knowledge, shop only warranty on defect & malfunction of lens.

Bad calibration is a form of defect and malfunction. Some grey product shop also claim this will be covered.

Will the shop do the calibration for you?

Some will not, some will exchange, some will send back to their supplier for calibration, some will ask you to go calibrate and claim the cost from them. It all depends on who you get it from.

IMHO, ff bf issues are not really malfunction. It is more like your tolerance problem. What doesn't work on your camera body might work perfectly fine for others.

Anyway local set for the sigma 150mm is almost $300 more than a grey set, so even if you need pay for calibration, the savings is still there. I bought a local set for fear of af issue but the focus was perfect out of box and that was the only copy I tested. In hindsight, I should had bought grey and send it for calibration because back then calibration was just $80. I really think af bf issue is more likely to happen with larger aperture lens like f/1.4.