Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

Mar 17, 2003
Bukit Timah
buzz.clubsnap.org
Anybody uses the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ? Any comments? Any pros or cons? heard the push pull mechanism sucks in dust...is it true? This lens was released in 1998 ...any chance it might get replaced by a ring mechanism any time soon?;)

Originally posted by Buzz
Anybody uses the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ? Any comments? Any pros or cons? heard the push pull mechanism sucks in dust...is it true? This lens was released in 1998 ...any chance it might get replaced by a ring mechanism any time soon?;)

not that anyone knows of a replacement anytime soon.

the other common complaint is that the lens hood locking mechanism isn't very secure.

I love it, especially on a 10D. No need for a TC and loosing 1-2 stops and I get 640mm at the long end!

Push-pull? I'm not sure when it will (ever) be revised. So far it looks pretty clean after 1.75 yrs of use.

If you like wildlife and such, it's a wonderful lens to consider!

Originally posted by Harlequin
Overall this is one great lens except for the price.

obviously you didn't ask the price of the 70-200 f/2.8L IS... :D

Yes...it quite good...sharp at both 100mm and 400mm(personal opinion)....esp with the IS....at 400mm with the 10D is like 680mm....use it and you will know why pple complain of giddiness when using it.....some pple like the 70-200mm IS USM (more expensive) and then use the 1.4/2.0 extender combination....

was thinking about the push and pull ....its quite fast if you get used to it....if it is replaced by a ring mechanism...must twist many times to zoom in and out....by that time subject is not there any more;)

AdamGoi: wow...1.75 yrs and no dust....goodie....:)

I have been using this lens for 3yr now,
Its actually one of the only crap L lens that Canon ever produce,
the push pull design and the lens lock barrel its the main culprit.

Optical wise its OK, but i prefer to get the 70-200 2.8 with TC.

For those of you thinking of getting this lens, be prepare to sent it in for service/repair every 6mth if yr lucky

I used to own this lens a few years ago. My sample was very good - optically excellent. However it was quite bulky since it extends out at 400mm and the balance is really awkward. Dust was not too much of a problem though I've seen it inside the lens. I prefer the 70-200/2.8 IS or non-IS for its zoom action and better balance. I have never had a problem with the 100-400 and it never needed servicing.

Yes....the dust and servicing part seems to be rather inconsistent with users of this lens....some say its a vacuum for dust...others say never had dust problems...:dunno: is it a QC(quality control) problem?

Originally posted by Buzz
Yes....the dust and servicing part seems to be rather inconsistent with users of this lens....some say its a vacuum for dust...others say never had dust problems...:dunno: is it a QC(quality control) problem?

I think it has also gotta do with its users too! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.