Canon DSLR Advice - Keep it or bin it?

mistry

Feb 11, 2013
Singapore
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some expert advice, as I have been to many stores in Singapore and received inconsistent and competing information.

First of all, I own a Canon 450D, EF-S17-85 F4-5.6ISU lens, and EF 50F1.8II lens.

I purchased the kit back in 2009 when my first child was born, and have enjoyed using the equipment, however the EF-S17-85 has caused me a lot of issues, and has been repaired by Canon ($$$), and now does not auto focus. Due to this, I've just stopped using the 450D, and prefer using my Iphone 5 (which I'm not proud of).

I want to get back into using a DSLR, and want some advice on whether I keep the camera body, and buy a nice piece of glass, or whether I dump the whole thing and purchase something new, (I would like the ability to take video on my DSLR, but not essential).

I do take care of my equipment, (dry box etc.) so am very disappointed that the EF-S17-85 has caused me some many issues, and it has put me off Canon, however I do not want to write off my investment in the camera body just yet.

I want to take photos of the children (hard to keep them still), take good photos in low light (indoors), and take outdoor photos when I'm on holidays, (i.e. temples, people, buildings). I have done a lot of research and believe the following lens will suit my needs:

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Thoughts from the experts on the above, or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some expert advice, as I have been to many stores in Singapore and received inconsistent and competing information.

First of all, I own a Canon 450D, EF-S17-85 F4-5.6ISU lens, and EF 50F1.8II lens.

I purchased the kit back in 2009 when my first child was born, and have enjoyed using the equipment, however the EF-S17-85 has caused me a lot of issues, and has been repaired by Canon ($$$), and now does not auto focus. Due to this, I've just stopped using the 450D, and prefer using my Iphone 5 (which I'm not proud of).

I want to get back into using a DSLR, and want some advice on whether I keep the camera body, and buy a nice piece of glass, or whether I dump the whole thing and purchase something new, (I would like the ability to take video on my DSLR, but not essential).

I do take care of my equipment, (dry box etc.) so am very disappointed that the EF-S17-85 has caused me some many issues, and it has put me off Canon, however I do not want to write off my investment in the camera body just yet.

I want to take photos of the children (hard to keep them still), take good photos in low light (indoors), and take outdoor photos when I'm on holidays, (i.e. temples, people, buildings). I have done a lot of research and believe the following lens will suit my needs:

Thanks in advance!

I still have a 450D in my dry cabinet, was my sisters she doesn't use it anymore. Occasionally I'd still take it out to shoot, I think 450D still can make it.

For videos since not essential, can always use your iphone5. Should be no issues.

What problems have you encountered with the 17-85? If you really want to replace it I'd go with the 17 - 55, won't go wrong.

I still have a 450D in my dry cabinet, was my sisters she doesn't use it anymore. Occasionally I'd still take it out to shoot, I think 450D still can make it.

For videos since not essential, can always use your iphone5. Should be no issues.

What problems have you encountered with the 17-85? If you really want to replace it I'd go with the 17 - 55, won't go wrong.

Thanks for the respond. The lens does not auto focus and I have to put it in MF mode, and I don't want to take it into Canon as the first service cost be around $400.

Thanks for the respond. The lens does not auto focus and I have to put it in MF mode, and I don't want to take it into Canon as the first service cost be around $400.

did they tell u what was wrong?

Might wanna give forum member fatigue a try.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

If you decided to sell away everything. To be fair. You can look into other brands and not limit yourself only to Canon. Unless you really like or due to other personal reason.
I cannot advise whether you should sell it to get a newer and better body or to continue using it. But i guess.. If the body is still working fine. Perhaps you can hold on to it as to safe yourself some costs.

As for the lenses..i would definitely recommend the second 1. 17-55mm F2.8. Because. This lens is light, fast, sharp and have IS. Also..it is somewhat created for non Full frame cameras. So why not. Focal length is very usable too. From wide to tele. By using the first lens means you would probably had to stand far away from your subject and its F4..(so not that fast compared to F2.8)

They said it has something to do with the AF motor, it was a while ago so can't remember. Ok, I'll try to reach Fatigue.

Thanks

Canon 650D or 60D. Canon's new EF-S 18-135mm IS F3.5-5.6 gives a range from 29mm-216mm in 35mm format. You only need 1 lens that can cover wide to telephoto range.

If want full frame, consider 6D but maybe it cannot use EF-S lenses.

Last edited:
Efs 15-85mm is also an gd lens which able to let u save some $$ compare to the 17-55 is usm , maybe adding a flash for indoor .

If you are determined to stick with yr 450D, then the 17-55 wld be my pick too.

best solution for $100 - buy a kit lens 18-55. Don't need to spend so much, reasonably good image quality (for its price). Or stick with your 50/1.8. can use $ for your kid's future

The 450d is a good camera. I swear by it. ;) I let mine go for a Pentax k-5 because I needed something a bit more powerful, technically, for exhibition works.

cheaper alternative, go for tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Canon's entry level DSLRs are not going to focus as fast as their mid-range DSLRs. I don't think you need the top of the range which would do even better, but it really depends on your children. Not all kids are the same, some are quieter and less active and would be much easier to capture... Some are really full of energy!

As for image quality, I'd say the technology from 450D era has improved since then, but you should only consider switching camera bodies to a more updated version (be it XXXD or 60D or 7D) if you are unhappy with the image quality at higher ISOs. Low ISOs up to ISO 200 I doubt much has changed.

Based on your short description, maybe the 60D will be better, and if your kids are really active, even 7D. Glass will of course also help, so it really really depends on your budget and what is your main gripe with the current set of pictures that you have. :)

Thank you everybody for your advise. I have had Canon service all the equipment and it's back up and running.

After thinking thru the options, I'm strongly thinking about selling the canon equipment, and purchasing a Olympus OMD EM5, with a 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 and a Panasonic 25mm 1.4 lens.

Reasons being, a lighter and smaller camera option would allow me to take this camera with me to more places than the Canon DSLR. I also belive the quality it comparable to a DSLR.

THoughts?

Thank you everybody for your advise. I have had Canon service all the equipment and it's back up and running.

After thinking thru the options, I'm strongly thinking about selling the canon equipment, and purchasing a Olympus OMD EM5, with a 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 and a Panasonic 25mm 1.4 lens.

Reasons being, a lighter and smaller camera option would allow me to take this camera with me to more places than the Canon DSLR. I also belive the quality it comparable to a DSLR.

THoughts?

i go for EM5 + pany 12-35mm f2.8 (based on my shooting style)

get the E-M5 and prepare loads of sweets to calm the kids down before you take photos of them.

in terms of IQ, the E-M5 can certainly fight the current APS-C DSLR. this was the main reason why i sold my 7D after i got the m43.

THoughts?

Don't. It is not the same. As much as I like MFT, it is in principle a stunted child. It's future growth is like that of a dwarf.
When young like now, MFT looks cute. As time passes and full frame digital SLRs grow beyond MFT's self-inflicted limitations, you will begin to feel the difference.

There is only so much a very small sensor can do. In the long run you will lose out.

The smaller models of digital SLRs are not that big.

When manufacturers are able to market a reasonably priced full frame mirrorless compact with interchangeable lenses with in-body-antishake; 40 megapixel sensor with low light sensitivity. Then the MFT will start to look inadequate.

Take note that usually DSLR wins in terms of AF speed.. You might want to consider that if your kids are very active :)

Don't. It is not the same. As much as I like MFT, it is in principle a stunted child. It's future growth is like that of a dwarf.
When young like now, MFT looks cute. As time passes and full frame digital SLRs grow beyond MFT's self-inflicted limitations, you will begin to feel the difference.

There is only so much a very small sensor can do. In the long run you will lose out.

The smaller models of digital SLRs are not that big.

When manufacturers are able to market a reasonably priced full frame mirrorless compact with interchangeable lenses with in-body-antishake; 40 megapixel sensor with low light sensitivity. Then the MFT will start to look inadequate.

with a child, you gonna lug around many things, and on top of that, is your camera gears.

no doubt FF DSLR has the ultimate advantage in IQ, but if you cannot bring the camera out due to its weight and size, then there is no point debating about limitations or what not.

many a time, the weakest link actually lies in the user and not the gears.