Canon DSLR 550D Overheated

Darbee8

Apr 21, 2010
SG
Recently I realise that my camera get overheated very fast. If i'm not wrong, about half an hour after using it. Any ideas of reducing it?

Recently I realise that my camera get overheated very fast. If i'm not wrong, about half an hour after using it. Any ideas of reducing it?

You using live view or video?

Both.

For shooting, no, mine don't over heat.

But for video, yes, it overheated before by showing a logo of high temperature.

did u video longer than the duration time mentioned in the manual.. ?

Maybe I'm using live view, after about half an hour the warning sign came out, than it won't allow me to take any pix.

did u video longer than the duration time mentioned in the manual.. ?

I don't think I exceeded, cos' is only about 5 - 10mins video.

apsc sensors are prone to overheating, not much to do but lessen the amount of time using LV and video. Better learn to use OVF though.

I don't think I exceeded, cos' is only about 5 - 10mins video.

Maybe you filming something so hot... the camera cannot take it. :bsmilie:

I should try it out sometime to see if my 550D has the same problem.

apsc sensors are prone to overheating, not much to do but lessen the amount of time using LV and video. Better learn to use OVF though.

FF is less prone to overheating?

I shot a walkabout of 7-8 hrs using the viewfinder, no signs of overheating.

During the YOG opening ceromony, I shot a video of around 15 mins. Camera LCD turns to be very hot that I removed the batteries and let to cool down for 1/2hr.

Canon 550D's live view focusing is so slow, I only use it for landscape shooting and video.

Though it's viewfinder is only 90-95% coverage, I would wish a 100% view finder coverage like the 5D or 7D.

More work and bigger function require more power which in turn generate more heat. Video needs scanning of APSC sensor which requires power and so produces more heat. Therefore, using VF instead of LCD helps to reduce consumption of power and heat and retracting LCD
away from the camera body provides ventilation.

Wonder overheated will shorten the life span of the camera, each time my cam gets hot and i'll switch it off wait till it cool down.

if dslr, be it ff or crop body, are prone to overheat when shooting in video mode, that how did those guys shoot the entire show with 5dmkll? eg, roystan's old places.:dunno:

if dslr, be it ff or crop body, are prone to overheat when shooting in video mode, that how did those guys shoot the entire show with 5dmkll? eg, roystan's old places.:dunno:

There are a few things that can be done to help. Maybe they shoot short takes and switch off live view in between takes. Maybe they have more than one camera so they can let the hot one cool down and continue shooting on another camera. Maybe they use a battery grip instead of internal battery, which reduces the amount of heating. Maybe they shade the camera from the sun when shooting outdoors.

Some behind the scene from "Catching Spider II" shot with Canon DSLR and Legria.

http://www.reddotphoto.com.sg/forums/entry.php/3-Canon-EOS-7D-HD-recording-for-Mediacorp-Production-Fighting-Spiders-season-2

Wonder overheated will shorten the life span of the camera, each time my cam gets hot and i'll switch it off wait till it cool down.

I'm sure it does.

In the past, when we buy used camera, we used to check the shutter count. Now, the shutter count is not a good indication of how well-used a camera is.

I'm also glad that I paid for the extended warranty. :)