canon DPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted illusion

Dec 4, 2008
hi, under warm white floresence light in raw.. do i select tungsten to make it white balance... cos i chose tungsten, the skin tone is way out...

is there any website with step by step guide for DPP...

thks...

hi, under warm white floresence light in raw.. do i select tungsten to make it white balance... cos i chose tungsten, the skin tone is way out...

is there any website with step by step guide for DPP...

thks...

dont worry about the white balance when you shoot in raw because you can always set them when you process using camera raw.

histogram is from 0-255 meaning 0 is your black and 255 is your white. dslr cams always have some problems with highlights so you better watch out about that.

when you set your WB in camera make sure you put a color sampler on the image and find something that will read in between 0-255 so i guess thats around 127.5, it doesn't have to be exact but it should range from 126-128.

your RGB should be in this level if you found an area in your image that reads in this level you can now pick your WB tool and hover on that spot.

dont worry about the white balance when you shoot in raw because you can always set them when you process using camera raw.

histogram is from 0-255 meaning 0 is your black and 255 is your white. dslr cams always have some problems with highlights so you better watch out about that.

when you set your WB in camera make sure you put a color sampler on the image and find something that will read in between 0-255 so i guess thats around 127.5, it doesn't have to be exact but it should range from 126-128.

your RGB should be in this level if you found an area in your image that reads in this level you can now pick your WB tool and hover on that spot.

hi, thks u for the reply.. actually my question is, when using canon DPP to adjust the out of white balance raw file, how to make yellow picture white, yet skin tone is correct... my pns tungsten can make picture white.. but my dslr pic is yellow even if i chose tungsten in canon DPP... thks..

hi, thks u for the reply.. actually my question is, when using canon DPP to adjust the out of white balance raw file, how to make yellow picture white, yet skin tone is correct... my pns tungsten can make picture white.. but my dslr pic is yellow even if i chose tungsten in canon DPP... thks..

Ok first of all i recommend using adobe camera raw. set your workspace to adobe rgb and load them in camera raw. forget about DPP there are only limited things you can do in DPP.

if you want to maximize the potential of WB i suggest you do it in camera raw because you can see the values of the RGB so many times all at the same time when you hover over the image using the color sampler tool and mark whatever part u want on the image.

Find a spot in the image that can give you a value of R=125-127, G=125-127, B=125-127.
do not stop until you have seen one. i am sure there is.

when you get that spot that reads like the above click your white balance tool and click inside the circle where your color sampler tool is located. this will give you a correct and accurate white balance.

if you still want to do it in DPP try the double clicking your raw file and open your tool pallete or crtl+T on pc or option+T on a mac and go the the RGB tab.

inside the RGB tab click the eye drop tool and sample on the image or hover on the image. this will adjust the RGB channels according to the spot you sample. try to hover it to something neutral like gray or red or green or blue.. just hover to taste until your satisfied.

on the lower left hand corner of the screen you will see some number like

(560,2789) 234,222,109

the numbers inside the parenthesis represents the the X and Y of the image.

the next figure like xxx,xxx,xxx is your RGB. try to find the sweet spot that can give you values in the middle of 0-255 for all of them.. it doesnt matter if they are not exactly the same but just make sure they are not so much apart. try looking for something like

128,125,127 or if you can find 128,127,127 it would be fine.

there you go buddy.... my novel is finish. i am typing this while lying on my bed with my neck twisted. :)

Last edited:
one is by using camera technique and the other is photoshop...choose your poison.

Ok first of all i recommend using adobe camera raw. set your workspace to adobe rgb and load them in camera raw. forget about DPP there are only limited things you can do in DPP.

if you want to maximize the potential of WB i suggest you do it in camera raw because you can see the values of the RGB so many times all at the same time when you hover over the image using the color sampler tool and mark whatever part u want on the image.

Find a spot in the image that can give you a value of R=125-127, G=125-127, B=125-127.
do not stop until you have seen one. i am sure there is.

when you get that spot that reads like the above click your white balance tool and click inside the circle where your color sampler tool is located. this will give you a correct and accurate white balance.

if you still want to do it in DPP try the double clicking your raw file and open your tool pallete or crtl+T on pc or option+T on a mac and go the the RGB tab.

inside the RGB tab click the eye drop tool and sample on the image or hover on the image. this will adjust the RGB channels according to the spot you sample. try to hover it to something neutral like gray or red or green or blue.. just hover to taste until your satisfied.

on the lower left hand corner of the screen you will see some number like

(560,2789) 234,222,109

the numbers inside the parenthesis represents the the X and Y of the image.

the next figure like xxx,xxx,xxx is your RGB. try to find the sweet spot that can give you values in the middle of 0-255 for all of them.. it doesnt matter if they are not exactly the same but just make sure they are not so much apart. try looking for something like

128,125,127 or if you can find 128,127,127 it would be fine.

there you go buddy.... my novel is finish. i am typing this while lying on my bed with my neck twisted. :)

hi, thks for the reply... i will try to locate the RGB figures.. cos till now, i cant find... maybe it dont exist, cos my raw is taken via parameter setting in the eos... do i need to set parameter to RGB... i will try and then find again.. thks...

one is by using camera technique and the other is photoshop...choose your poison.

now tat my pns can take raw, i only started to learn to process raw... still trying... cos all the while i using jpeg only... eos raw do i need to set to rgb, cos pns there is no setting for rgb, only raw...

If your raw photo was taken under white fluorescent light, then choose White fluorescent or Auto in DPP and see if you like how your photo looks. (If camera was already set to White fluorescent or Auto then choosing 'Shot settings' will show your photo in White fluorescent or Auto respectively.)

After that, you can adjust warmth/coolness and green/magenta, by clicking Tune and dragging right/left and up/down respectively. (You can also adjust warmth/coolness by clicking Color temperature and adjusting the slider.)

Alternatively, if there is something plain white in your picture, you can click on the 'dropper' icon, bring it to the white object and then click it.

Last edited:
hi, thks for the reply... i will try to locate the RGB figures.. cos till now, i cant find... maybe it dont exist, cos my raw is taken via parameter setting in the eos... do i need to set parameter to RGB... i will try and then find again.. thks...

they should exist.. even jpeg got RGB values in DPP and camera raw.

now tat my pns can take raw, i only started to learn to process raw... still trying... cos all the while i using jpeg only... eos raw do i need to set to rgb, cos pns there is no setting for rgb, only raw...

the main reason why people shoot in raw because they need to process afterwards. raw files or cr2 files can give you an extended range of options you can do in post processing in correcting WB and adjusting the exposure and color balancing things like that..

make sure your camera profile is set to adobe RGB. do not mind the white balance in the camera if you shooting raw because you can always set this afterwards.

just make sure that the figures are correct.. the RGB figures. this is the correct way in setting a perfect white balance.

you can see that in DPP as i mentioned in previous post.. its located on the lower left hand corner of the screen when using DPP under the RGB tab.

If your raw photo was taken under white fluorescent, then choose White fluorescent or Auto in DPP and see what it looks like. (If camera was already set to White fluorescent or Auto then you can choose Shot settings.).

errr.. even you dont set this it doesnt matter. that is why your shooting raw. ;)

the main reason why people shoot in raw because they need to process afterwards. raw files or cr2 files can give you an extended range of options you can do in post processing in correcting WB and adjusting the exposure and color balancing things like that..

make sure your camera profile is set to adobe RGB. do not mind the white balance in the camera if you shooting raw because you can always set this afterwards.

just make sure that the figures are correct.. the RGB figures. this is the correct way in setting a perfect white balance.

you can see that in DPP as i mentioned in previous post.. its located on the lower left hand corner of the screen when using DPP under the RGB tab.

thks again... i will try again with dslr camera setting to Raw RBG... i just realise zoom browser 6.4 also can save from raw to tiff or jpeg... lol...

Simple: Just use the color-dropper tool in DPP. It's under Custom White Balance.

Use the color-sampler or color-dropper tool (Shaped like a syringe), click on different white objects in the image to find the best color. If you don't have anything white in that image at all, go to another image that has white subject(white table cloth/shirt/napkin/even plates), click it, save settings and apply to the pictures without white subjects in it, and "Ta Da"... you will get the white balance "balanced". :)

If you try Adobe Lightroom, you will find that the RAW conversion is so much better than DPP but don't worry... DPP does a reasonable good job considering it's F.O.C.

And Using SRGB is perfectly fine. It's most universal.

Last edited:
Simple: Just use the color-dropper tool in DPP. It's under Custom White Balance.

Use the color-sampler or color-dropper tool (Shaped like a syringe), click on different white objects in the image to find the best color. If you don't have anything white in that image at all, go to another image that has white subject(white table cloth/shirt/napkin/even plates), click it, save settings and apply to the pictures without white subjects in it, and "Ta Da"... you will get the white balance "balanced". :)

If you try Adobe Lightroom, you will find that the RAW conversion is so much better than DPP but don't worry... DPP does a reasonable good job considering it's F.O.C.

And Using SRGB is perfectly fine. It's most universal.

ah, so this is the trick (find a white subject)... let me try... thks so much...

Status
Not open for further replies.