• Dont clean if there are no spots visible on image

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Go ahead to clean sensor at service center

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xiaosinful

Jan 24, 2019
Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you guys brought your canon DSLR into canon service center for servicing(I.E cleaning of camera sensor)

from the site seems like there are a few services for DSLR which are as follows:

Check shutter count for EOS DSLR cameras$21.40
D-SLR, Mirror Less Camera Sensor Clean
*Services are carried out and assessed using appropriate software to determine pass or fail.
*Charge will be limited to cleaning of sensor, if any work is required beyond the sensor cleaning estimate will be provided.
$21.40
D-SLR Focusing Screen Clean
*Charge will be limited to cleaning of sensor, if any work is required beyond the sensor cleaning estimate will be provided.
$42.80
AF Check, calibration and adjustment - Camera or Lens (per item rate)$64.20

I am more interested in Sensor Clean , is there a need for focusing screen clean/ AF check? My main concern here is dont check/clean no problem, later bring to service tell me must change this and that or worst clean already break the camera, tell me change new camera.

anyone care to share you experience? No need clean , just use blower?

Some people are quite particular about a clean focus screen, although it has zero impact on image and focus accuracy (for Autofocus). It's a matter of personal preference. For Autofocus accuracy, use the focus test charts and check for yourself. But keep in mind: variations between lenses and cameras exist and there won't be 100% accuracy. It is always a question of what is acceptable to you.
For sensor cleaning, there are tons of YT videos, tutorials etc. Material costs a few Dollars, done. Be careful, go slowly.

Some people are quite particular about a clean focus screen, although it has zero impact on image and focus accuracy (for Autofocus). It's a matter of personal preference. For Autofocus accuracy, use the focus test charts and check for yourself. But keep in mind: variations between lenses and cameras exist and there won't be 100% accuracy. It is always a question of what is acceptable to you.
For sensor cleaning, there are tons of YT videos, tutorials etc. Material costs a few Dollars, done. Be careful, go slowly.

Ok , so not advisable to send to canon for sensor cleaning? Not comfortable to clean sensor , a few dollars might end up spoiling the sensor

Ok , so not advisable to send to canon for sensor cleaning? Not comfortable to clean sensor , a few dollars might end up spoiling the sensor
I cannot judge their work since I do sensor cleaning myself. I would suggest a more optimistic approach, both towards Canon Service Center as well as to DIY sensor cleaning.

Canon service centre is ok, they will check first and give you a quote. Any additional services they will call you to confirm.
I last used them maybe 1-2 years ago but don't think you will go too wrong with them.

Alternative recommendation is fellow member 'fatigue'. His contact number can be found on his profile:
https://www.clubsnap.com/members/fatigue.23585/#about

(aka 'camera whisper' featured on CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...fixes-what-the-professionals-can-t-or-9118382)

Canon service centre is ok, they will check first and give you a quote. Any additional services they will call you to confirm.
I last used them maybe 1-2 years ago but don't think you will go too wrong with them.

Alternative recommendation is fellow member 'fatigue'. His contact number can be found on his profile:
https://www.clubsnap.com/members/fatigue.23585/#about

(aka 'camera whisper' featured on CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...fixes-what-the-professionals-can-t-or-9118382)

Thanks for your reply! I have actually saw the CNA report on the camera , didnt know he has an account in clubsnap, would probably contact him for cleaning instead of canon.