Canon Digital Camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeryltan

Jan 5, 2006
s5.photobucket.com
I know this is a Camera forum but I can't find any Camcorder forums so I hope someone can help me with this question nevertheless..

I am shopping for a Canon Digital Camcorder and these are my criterias for it..

1) Preferably not tape (ie. prefer DVD / SD Card, especially SD Card)
2) Light / Small
3) Built in mini video light
4) At least > 1+ megapixel
5) Should have some digital zoom capabilities when using SD Card for video recording (Possible?)
6) Accepts 2GB SD Cards or higher..
7) Budget definitely less than S$2k :)

Anybody can recommend me something, preferable from Canon? I'm new to Camcorders and with so many models, I'm lost for choice..

jeryltan said:
I know this is a Camera forum but I can't find any Camcorder forums so I hope someone can help me with this question nevertheless..

I am shopping for a Canon Digital Camcorder and these are my criterias for it..

1) Preferably not tape (ie. prefer DVD / SD Card, especially SD Card)
Why not tape? DVD camcorders compresses data when recording(into Mpeg 2) that means that if you wants to do editing later, you need to convert the format back into AVI/MOV unless you use the software provided. Also keep in mind that data are lost during conversion. Then again, DVD are good if you do not plan on editing/future editing.

Guess the only 2 choices for you are DC 10/20..
jeryltan said:
3) Built in mini video light
Most dun come with it.. You can get a small on camera lite..
jeryltan said:
5) Should have some digital zoom capabilities when using SD Card for video recording (Possible?)
SD only for stills..
jeryltan said:
6) Accepts 2GB SD Cards or higher..
Not sure but thinks most newer model shouldn't have a problem..
jeryltan said:
7) Budget definitely less than S$2k
Both Sub S$2K

Other than the DVD models, I suggest you look at MVX(tapes) models as well..

Just my opinion.. ;)

Does it have to be a camcorder? I was looking for something to replace my camcorder also. An option that interests me is the Canon PowerShot S2 IS:

1. Using SD/MMC card.
2. Light & small (when compared with an average camcorder of course.)
3. No mini video light though.
4. 5MP, since it's primary function is a still digital camera you get a lens with a pretty decent focal range with macro capability. Up to 640x 480 pixels at 30 fps with stereo audio.
5. 12x optical zoom which can be used during recording. Not to mention IS capability.
6. Accepts up to 2GB, not sure if can accept greater than that. Needs to be high speed card though in order to be able to record max. 1GB worth of footage per file.
7. <S$1K.

If you want to see the sample clips, go to dpreview.com or steves-digicams.com

Actually, I'm considering both options but prefer DVD due to it's portability..

I thought most video editing software nowadays can edit MPeg2 video format as well?
Editing would probably be a necessity which was why I thought a DVD would be easier, can just play directly from my DVD-Rom, using a DVD/RW rather than do a data transfer via USB..
I read in the brouchure that DC20 comes with a mini video light? Guess it's not very effective for really dark surroundings though :think:
There were 1 or 2 models, I think that allows shooting directly into SD Cards, ie. MXV35i and MXV45i.. But doesn't indicate what the highest capacity SD Card it can accept :think: and I think Card recording is only 320 x 240?

JediLights said:
Why not tape? DVD camcorders compresses data when recording(into Mpeg 2) that means that if you wants to do editing later, you need to convert the format back into AVI/MOV unless you use the software provided. Also keep in mind that data are lost during conversion. Then again, DVD are good if you do not plan on editing/future editing.

Guess the only 2 choices for you are DC 10/20..

Most dun come with it.. You can get a small on camera lite..

SD only for stills..

Not sure but thinks most newer model shouldn't have a problem..

Both Sub S$2K

Other than the DVD models, I suggest you look at MVX(tapes) models as well..

Just my opinion.. ;)

To Gadget..
As for the PowerShot S2 IS, like mentioned it's still primarily a digital camera, from what I have read, the videos taken out of this wouldn't be as good as a dedicated camcorder? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.. Also, I already have a Canon 350D so I probably won't be using it as a digital still camera..
BTW, which Camcorder did you switch from previously before the PowerShot S2 IS? Was the difference in video quality very apparent? Will take a look at the samples too.. Tks :thumbsup:

Actually, most pro editing systems requires the format to be uncompressed.. DVD (mpeg2) is definately compressed thus requires a addtional step of conversion. Try to edit a Unprotected DVD using Window Movie Maker and see if its easier to do it with MiniDV or DVD-Rom and you will know what I mean.. ;p

DVD camcorders are really designed for people who just wants to record and watch/pple who have not much time to do editing.. I am not saying that you can't edit if you record in Mpeg2, I'm just saying its more troublesome. And Mpeg2 is of a lower quality compare to MiniDV(Uncompressed DV). :)

If you dun really care much about resolution of your video then, yes, you can use a camera to take video.. or record footages into SD. Reason why camcorders are still using MiniDV, (unless you want to spent thousands to go tapeless) is because 1 hour of DV footage occupies about 12gb of real estate. :(

Well, if you dun mind Mpeg2, I think JVC also have a HDD camcorder you might be interested in. How much? :dunno:

Just how I feel..;)

Canon Digital Camcorder? How abt the XL2? ;p

Tks for all your feedback.. I've gotten myself the DC20.. Pretty happy with it :)

jsbn said:
Canon Digital Camcorder? How abt the XL2? ;p
walao tat bugger cost $6k

XL1H $14k w/o GST

his budget is $2k

Tks.. It's my 1st CamCorder.. Going to attend the free class on 21st Jan to learn how to "shoot like a film maker" ;)

rinaldi86 said:
enjoy using! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.