Canon CP-E2 Flash Battery Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
Thinking of getting one to reduce the recycling time for my 550EX flash, which I find a little slow to recharge, especially when firing short bursts of 5-6 frames, it takes 1-2 seconds to recharge fully. Any idea of its performance when coupled with the 550EX? Or are there any other compatible 3rd party flash battery packs to consider as well which gives better performance than CP-E2? Priority is that it has to have a fast recharge time and fairly lightweight.

Thanks in advance.

Garion said:
Thinking of getting one to reduce the recycling time for my 550EX flash, which I find a little slow to recharge, especially when firing short bursts of 5-6 frames, it takes 1-2 seconds to recharge fully. Any idea of its performance when coupled with the 550EX? Or are there any other compatible 3rd party flash battery packs to consider as well which gives better performance than CP-E2? Priority is that it has to have a fast recharge time and fairly lightweight.

Thanks in advance.

550EX - 5 sec
CP-E2 - 2.5 sec
The best Quantum - 1.5 sec

The CP-E2 is cheap but just a piece of plastic while the Quantum is very rugged. In naturescapes.net they all seem to use Quantum or Digital Camera Battery and CP-E2 is unheard of.

erwinx said:
550EX - 5 sec
CP-E2 - 2.5 sec

The CP-E2 is cheap but just a piece of plastic while the Quantum is very rugged. In naturescapes.net they all seem to use Quantum or Digital Camera Battery and CP-E2 is unheard of.
how much is this CP-E2? Thx!

be careful firing your flash at high speed continuous mode... you might burn out your flash—it does need some rest (too cool down).

CP-E2 is around $200.

The timings are for full flash discharge. If the flash is firing at less than full power, recycling time will be faster.

550EX - 5 sec
CP-E2 - 2.5 sec

Which local shops sell the Quantum?

erwinx said:
550EX - 5 sec
CP-E2 - 2.5 sec

Thanks erwinx for the info. BTW do any local shops sell the Quantum battery pack? Any idea how much is it? TIA.

Garion said:
Thanks erwinx for the info. BTW do any local shops sell the Quantum battery pack? Any idea how much is it? TIA.

Nelson at Konota sells Quantum.

Note that the Quantum turbo reportedly recharges faster than the Quantum Turbo C (similar prices). Including cable both are around $900. Bhphoto/adorama price around US$420.

Garion, think you might be better of with Digital Camera Battery

erwinx said:
Nelson at Konota sells Quantum.

Note that the Quantum turbo reportedly recharges faster than the Quantum Turbo C (similar prices). Including cable both are around $900. Bhphoto/adorama price around US$420.

Thanks erwinx, seems like its pretty pricy compared to the CP-E2. :sweat:

oeyvind said:
Garion, think you might be better of with Digital Camera Battery
Whats that? How much it costs?

http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com/

Cost:

DP6068 CANON 10D, D60, D30 CAMERA CABLE USD68.97

DP6075 Digital Camera Battery cable for the EOS-1D & 1DS camera body
USD38.97

DP9113 CANON PRO FLASH CABLE. FAST RECYCLE TIME. CAUTION MAY HARM FLASH IF MISUSED. PLEASE READ FLASH INSTRUCTION MANUAL
USD197.97

or

DP9083 Canon High Voltage. 550EX, 540EZ, 480G, 430EZ. USD98.97

DP0455 40 WATT DIGITAL CAMERA BATTERY USD299

I bought the CP-E2 when I started shooting events/weddings and I think its worth the $200...

The CP-E2 like many have correctly stated is a bit "pricey" for a box containing 6-AA batts and a cable. However, when mated with the 550EX, it allows the flash to recharge in less than half the time compared to using the 550EX alone. For S$200, cannot complain lah!

The Quantum is "better"... (1 sec faster from full discharge) but a lot pricier! I see a lot of "pros" using the CP-E2 and they seem happy with it!

Garion said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and replies, its been very helpful. Due to budget constraints, I've made up my mind to purchase the CP-E2 battery pack. Thanks once again for the kind help.

Status
Not open for further replies.