Canon Compact Camera

lzf28

Mar 2, 2011
Hi, I'm looking to get a new canon compact camera which is capable of capturing good night pictures and sceneries.
Looking at S110. Is it good?

Many thanks!

if you're looking only at Canon for your compact, yes...the S110 is a pretty capable compact. the Canon G1 X is also classified as a compact, although it's quite a bit bulkier than the S110 that you're looking at, so I'm not sure if you'd find it suitable. it's also more expensive...but it's got a much larger-than-average sensor, and a versatile lens, and takes very nice pictures :)

Hi, I'm looking to get a new canon compact camera which is capable of capturing good night pictures and sceneries.
Have you read any reviews? Have you defined what "good night pictures and sceneries" means to you? Different people have different ideas.
A good picture is 80% non-technical and depend on the photographer, only maybe 20% are contributed by the camera system.
S110 and others are very capable cameras if the person behind the viewfinder knows a thing or two about photography. If not, the best camera is pointless, it cannot read the mind of the person pressing the shutter.

S110 is very good, so is G15, so is XZ-2 and so on and so for.

The most logical thing to do is to state your budget, and look at cameras within that budget and finally, go to the shop, test which one you like best, then choose that one.

And please, don't limit yourself to Canon or Nikon or any other brands, there are other choices out there too.

For your requirements, any compact will do. Most important is that you have a tripod for your "night landscapes"

I used a few models of powershot S series since s30, and recommended S model to others around (mostly light users) all the time, instead of A or G series of canon, or other lines of different brands.
Because I found it has always been a nice balanced point as a main camera for light users, or backup P&S for heavy users, in terms of image quality, operation control and handiness, and $$.
out there might be a better model at any given time, if you would spend time and effort to search, maybe fuji F or S series, maybe Pan LX. But to me, not worth it any more. Go and get a current or earlier S, keep it in pocket, and start to shot till it dead --- hey my S45 still works nicely to produce vivid images for web or full screen other than a dead battery.

As to "good night pictures", it is where all the $$$ goes, fast F stop, high ISO, IS, AND maybe hundreds of hours of experience. Don't demand it too eagerly until you could understand people spend a few hundred to just buy a capable tripod.

Many thanks!
how good is good?
All camera are good and can capture image. But of course in most cases...the more dollars you pay..the better it gets. But not forgetting...
the camera will only work as good as the person who is using it.

In any case. you can read review or Google pictures taken by S110. I believe there are alot on the internet by now.:)

Thank you for the advice given to this noob here!!! after some research, i have finally bought the s110 over the weekend!! =D