Canon (canon mount) UWA:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi134

Jun 21, 2007
I want to know whish UWA Lens is best for Canon 50D:
-Canon (I know it would be the best but by seeing price list)
-Sigma
-Tamron
-Tokina

Please suggest, I read a lot on forum but at the end I am nore confuse :confused:

Appreciate your help on this.....

best UWA for cropped body: EF-S 10-22. Very flare resistant, very low barrel distortion, high resolving power. :)

How about reading reviews? Use the lens type, combine the term with 'review' and feed Google. Plenty of pages to read, compare and conclude.

I want to know whish UWA Lens is best for Canon 50D:
-Canon (I know it would be the best but by seeing price list)
-Sigma
-Tamron
-Tokina

Please suggest, I read a lot on forum but at the end I am nore confuse :confused:

Appreciate your help on this.....

There is a similar thread talking about a few options of UWA. You cannot confuse, if you are, nobody will be able to help you :)
I will narrow down (myself) to Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, 10-20 f3.5, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 10-24
You need to know what you really want, your priority.
- you want 10 mm wide, or don't mind 11 mm (for tokina)

Sigma f4-5.6 has been known as a good UWA. and cheaper. Tokina 11-16 is the 2nd ex,around $950. The Sigma f3.5 is most ex, around 1100 if not wrong.

2nd, you need to sure will you like the 10mm wide or the longer zoom ability of the Sigma (10-20) Tamron (10-24) vs Tokina 11-16

3rd, u need to know, or try to imagine, for what, and when you will likely use your UWA. Will u use it indoor very often? Will u use for indoor portrait?

EF-S 10-22, wider, bigger range and very sharp. Probably only the Tokina 11-16 is sharper from reading reviews.

Very well summaried.
Went throught the same choices, just got my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, best performence/price, especially at 10mm

There is a similar thread talking about a few options of UWA. You cannot confuse, if you are, nobody will be able to help you :)
I will narrow down (myself) to Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, 10-20 f3.5, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 10-24
You need to know what you really want, your priority.
- you want 10 mm wide, or don't mind 11 mm (for tokina)

Sigma f4-5.6 has been known as a good UWA. and cheaper. Tokina 11-16 is the 2nd ex,around $950. The Sigma f3.5 is most ex, around 1100 if not wrong.

2nd, you need to sure will you like the 10mm wide or the longer zoom ability of the Sigma (10-20) Tamron (10-24) vs Tokina 11-16

3rd, u need to know, or try to imagine, for what, and when you will likely use your UWA. Will u use it indoor very often? Will u use for indoor portrait?

Very well summaried.
Went throught the same choices, just got my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, best performence/price, especially at 10mm

Good buy.
Actually I forgot to add the EFS10-22. According to some CSer with their testing, EFS performs better in flare control compare to the Tokina.

if you study lens characteristics, you will find it a challenge to design and build a good UWA. The main issue with the lens design is edge-to-edge sharpness, vignette and also its resolving power.

If i were to narrow down into a couple of choices, it will be either the EF-S 10-22 or Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. The Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 10-24 aren't really that sharp at the corners, quite a drawback when you need to capture all the details you need on landscape photography. I picked the EF-S over the Tokina as I don't need f/2.8 for landscapes. :)

Thanks Guys for your valuable inputs...

I have gone through each and also read very good comparisons on
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/sigma_10-20_vs_canon_tamron_tokina.htm

Now I am narrowed down to Sigma and Canon.
My main use of UWA will be for landscape, and I am going to use max at 10mm (I think so).

Shall I close this by saying Canon is the best? I know canon costs ~1100 but I am not able to get the price for Sigma ...

I was in your situation when looking for a UWA Len.
In the end, I opt for the tokina AT-X Pro DX 11 - 16 2.8 new over a Canon 10-22.

1. Price
2. Picture (new and sharp pictures and like the indoors shot)
3. Package (build)

I am into 3rd party lens as being a newbie to photography to pay for the high prices of Canon Lens, I don't think I can justify the price of Canon Lens.
I am happy with this Tokina 11 - 16 UWA and enjoyed shooting these two days and espcially in door with the good 2.8 aperture. Yet to take it out for scenary shot. Maybe this weekend to capture the sunrise skyline and sunset skyline.

Got it from Parisik on 10/2/2010 @Holland Village at $881 before gst. Oh by the wa, I went to the shop on Friday 12/2/2010 and got a new Sigma 24 - 70 2.8 HSM.

Have fun hunting down your UWA lens.

Cheers !

Hi 5DKM,

Thanks for your reply. Well so far all my lenses are canon one.. and Canon 10-22 is ~1100 and Tokina 11 - 16 UWA you said its ~800.

I am not going to use this UWA lens extinsively as maximum time I shoot with my fav 24-105 and thats the reason I was thinking that is it worth spending 1100 on Canon?

I am also thinking that if I am not going to use that much then why not go for used lens?

Guys, any good place where I can go and see used lenses. (I am checking on this site as well but is there any shop where I can go and check)

Cheers

I am also thinking that if I am not going to use that much then why not go for used lens?
Please have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311048
Plenty of tips, read the entire thread.
Guys, any good place where I can go and see used lenses. (I am checking on this site as well but is there any shop where I can go and check)

There are shops at Peninsular Plaza and Adelphi selling 2nd hand equipment.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340845

10-22. I recommend it wholeheartedly. Probably the best lens I have ever used on a crop sensor. Images taken with it:

4111574957_1af428f489.jpg

4153496809_4f3ee225f5.jpg

4154264954_2f871988cb.jpg

4177858219_255ba67463.jpg

4153484953_2edaafeb2b.jpg

best UWA for cropped body: EF-S 10-22. Very flare resistant, very low barrel distortion, high resolving power. :)

yes, fair enough.....

but price not so friendly. something to keep in mind.

Any users of Tokina 12-24mm F4? Can chare the performance of this lens...?

Canon 10-22mm is a little pricy to me. :(

the extra $$$ is worth it for this 10-22mm imho

In my search for a UWA, I never considered the 12-24... losing 2mm focal length on a UWA was too much for me. 11-16 still can consider :p

here are some photozone.de results comparing sigma versus canon on aps-c (8 megapixel)

there is no test for 15 megapixels.. so..

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/3...-56-hsm-ex-dc-lab-test-report--review?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/174-canon-ef-s-10-22mm-f35-45-usm-test-report--review?start=1

one thing i'll say, if you plan to shoot at 10mm, from that test alone - sigma 10-20 is better choice. but on all other counts, it falls short. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.