Canon battery grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrc0w

Jul 22, 2008
Hi all, i'm new to photography. i had a hard time comparing Nikon DSLR and Canon DSLR, and finally settled for a Canon 450D as a start. i believe it's good enough for a beginner.

i have been wondering what's the use of battery grip. i mean for my canon body, it's light and small, why do people buy the battery grip and add onto it. please someone enlighten me.

Please guide me along, all the pro out there. i'm very much interested in photography and keen to learn more. thanks in advance ;)

When you use heavier lenses (or external flash), the grip will improve the handling of the set up. The grip allows you to have an additional battery for prolong usage i.e. while travelling.

More battery power so you can keep shooting + Easier to hold your camera vertically for portrait shots + Possibly faster frames / second + Looks more pro for some people.:)

cool thanks peeps.. how long does it prolong the battery life ? any suggestions what lens should i get bcos i'm going to travelling to other country. currently i only have the lens that comes with the kit, 18-55mm. ;)

How much power it extends depends on the grip and the DSLR it's attached to, and in some cases the battery option you've inserted into the grip itself. No clue for the 450D myself though.

Personally, you may want to ask yourself what you need the grip for really (you haven't indicated what you intend it for after the others have posted). If you're thinking about it for added power, consider just bringing along your charger, and a second battery if possible.

Yeah prolly i really dont need a battery grip. i like my light and compact camera. thanks for answering my questions anyway. Care sharing some photos collection with me ? i wanna learn through the pro's shots too..

More battery power so you can keep shooting + Easier to hold your camera vertically for portrait shots + Possibly faster frames / second + Looks more pro for some people.:)
Just to make it clear,
With the battery grip, frame rate incrase is only for Nikons,
It does not apply for Canons.

If you wanna learn more, best thing to do is the pick up a beginner's guide on photography at the library.

i'm a canoner too, using 400D, msn me la =)

Shootmore, Learnmore!

Just to make it clear,
With the battery grip, frame rate incrase is only for Nikons,
It does not apply for Canons.

If you wanna learn more, best thing to do is the pick up a beginner's guide on photography at the library.

i'm a canoner too, using 400D, msn me la =)

Shootmore, Learnmore!

OH..I tot BG for canon is also increase frame rate??
So that is incorrect.... I mean only applied to Canon DSLR....
For Nikon will increase the frame rate........

At first I tot of buying.. Now I think cant drop and save some $$$ to get the lens instead.

well, the BGs are usually a good to have, because it balances out the weight on the DSLR,

For canon xxxDs, average handed people will find that it'll either strain their hand to squeeze all the 3 fingers on the handgrip,
or to have the last finger under camera itself.. it costs about S$ 170 new

I guess you can get a 50mm F1.8 with that kind of money =)
costs abt S$ 130, cheaper if u buy 2nd hand thorugh BnS =)

well, the BGs are usually a good to have, because it balances out the weight on the DSLR,

For canon xxxDs, average handed people will find that it'll either strain their hand to squeeze all the 3 fingers on the handgrip,
or to have the last finger under camera itself.. it costs about S$ 170 new

I guess you can get a 50mm F1.8 with that kind of money =)
costs abt S$ 130, cheaper if u buy 2nd hand thorugh BnS =)

50mm is $98 before GST.

Yeah prolly i really dont need a battery grip. i like my light and compact camera. thanks for answering my questions anyway. Care sharing some photos collection with me ? i wanna learn through the pro's shots too..

Just check the Photo Galley section. Thousands of pics posted there.

hey thanks snap, i've added you. hope to learn from you too.. thanks a lot

Battery grip is like a lion's mane. Most obvious use is to attract female's attention by appearing bigger and more majestic. Ask any non-photographer, which camera is more pro? and let her compare two 450Ds, one with and one without.

Status
Not open for further replies.