Canon and Nikon quality lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2004
Hi everyone,

i know canon has some quality lens, call the L lens, better glass, sharper and faster focusing too, they are labelled with 'L' and red strip.

How about Nikon, do they have their own 'L' lens, and what colour strip are they using?

I am not a nikon user, but just curious. thanks in advance.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Nikon calls them G. So does Sony (though Sony also has Carl Zeiss lenses). Pentax marks them with a DA* I think.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
Nikon calls them G. So does Sony (though Sony also has Carl Zeiss lenses). Pentax marks them with a DA* I think.
WRONG answer.

G lens are those without the aperture rings.

For Nikon, the pro lenses with ED element have a gold ring and does not have special labels. Just look at the fast zooms and primes. Those non ED does not have the gold ring.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
WRONG answer.

For Nikon, the pro lenses with ED element have a gold ring and does not have special labels. Just look at the fast zooms and primes. Those non ED does not have the gold ring.

Not all lenses with ED have gold rings. And not all professional grade lenses have gold rings either (especially some of the primes). And a lot of the older Nikon lenses do not have the gold rings too.

K S Kong

Dec 11, 2007
www.flickr.com
In the New Range of Nikon Lens, Lens With ED + Gold Rang + Nano Crystal Coat is the Top Level Lens, Best of the Best is + VR II (eg. AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f2.8G ED VR II )

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
when your bought a Nikon lens that your father says you are ah sia kia, your mother screams at you, your girl friend threaten to breakup with you, your friends say you want to go tan chiak with taking photos, usually that one belongs to the Nikon quality lens.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2009
queenstown / singapore
when your bought a Nikon lens that your father says you are ah sia kia, your mother screams at you, your girl friend threaten to breakup with you, your friends say you want to go tan chiak with taking photos, usually that one belongs to the Nikon quality lens.
lmao! good one catchlights!

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
WRONG answer.

Oh? So the G lenses don't have a separate aperture ring, but they're not (necessarily) the top class lenses? Interesting, I learned something new. :)

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
Oh? So the G lenses don't have a separate aperture ring, but they're not (necessarily) the top class lenses? Interesting, I learned something new. :)
Yup. The G symbol just means there is no physical aperture ring on the lens, and the aperture value is to be selectable on the camera. This effectively make the lens incompatible with older manual film cameras (F3, F2, F, FM series, FE series)

Last edited:

jaRv1s

Jun 5, 2009
Singapore
Yup. The G symbol just means there is no physical aperture ring on the lens, and the aperture value is to be selectable on the camera. This effectively make the lens incompatible with older manual film cameras (F3, F2, F, FM series, FE series)
just to add on a bit, most of the current kit lenses are G lenses...

as from what i had read from various websites... Nikon used to put gold ring on IF-ED lenses only... but nowadays seems like the Gold Ring definition is a little bit blurred... e.g. 14-24mm and 24-70mm are not having real IF design but still having the gold rings...

Jul 8, 2009
I came across this website that has some comparison between Canon and Nikon lenses.

http://www.radiantlite.com/2008/07/canon-versus-nikon-lenses.html

It's true that Canon has a wider range of lenses (and L lenses).
There are still some gaps for Nikon to fill in.
But then that's not the deciding factor on which is better because I doubt we are so rich to buy all the lenses.

Interestingly, NASA is using the D3s in space with the 14-24mm lens.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=34036460

I think time for Nikon to start having some indication on which are their version of L lenses. We must also note that some old Nikon lenses are damn good but are not G, not gold-ringed etc.

Apr 15, 2008
Singapore, east-ish
I think time for Nikon to start having some indication on which are their version of L lenses. We must also note that some old Nikon lenses are damn good but are not G, not gold-ringed etc.

Personally, i really don't see why it's necessary :dunno:

I'd use a lens that has the specs I need, I don't need someone to tell me whether it's a 'L' or not.
(No dissing Canon's decision, of course :))

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
agreed...

Creating this "L" series of lenses just breeds class-consciousness, which goes against the "it's not the camera/lens, it's the photographer" train of thought.

jaRv1s

Jun 5, 2009
Singapore
me three... ;p if i got a gold ring lens, for sure i'll mask it with black gaffer tape... it's the spec of glasses and final images i want, not how the exterior looks like...

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
Hi everyone,

i know canon has some quality lens, call the L lens, better glass, sharper and faster focusing too, they are labelled with 'L' and red strip.

How about Nikon, do they have their own 'L' lens, and what colour strip are they using?

I am not a nikon user, but just curious. thanks in advance.
What makes you think L lenses are better, sharper? Hear say or regurgitating from the net....again.....

cks2k2

Feb 12, 2009
agreed...

Creating this "L" series of lenses just breeds class-consciousness, which goes against the "it's not the camera/lens, it's the photographer" train of thought.
Product differentiation. Canon has always been good at this, while you need a Phd to decode Nikon's crazy lens models.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
creating a super class like a 'L' lens is a sure way to make a lot more money.
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom