Canon A80 DOF shoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Nov 12, 2003
Alexandra
Visit site
Anyone managed to shoot some pictures with good Depth of Field Shots with the Canon A80?
If you managed to shoot some DOF pictures with the A80, please share with us the picture and the camera settings.

Thanks

I took this with a canon A80.

boy01.jpg

well, look at my avatar, the bird is sharp and the background is blurred, it show limited DOF. I took the picture with Sony Cybershot 717.

Shouldn't have used the term Good/Bad DOF...
I am looking for a setting for the A80 in order to get nice out-of-focus backgrounds.

light said:
well, look at my avatar, the bird is sharp and the background is blurred, it show limited DOF. I took the picture with Sony Cybershot 717.

Shouldn't have used the term Good/Bad DOF...
I am looking for a setting for the A80 in order to get nice out-of-focus backgrounds.

Me interested to know too.
Think the range of the A80 rather limited, like difficult to get different DOF.

Billiant photo!
Like the colurs combination of #4.

Can we do it at a further distance with A80, meaning the object to be focus, say a man, is further from the camera.

Cause in your photo, objects to be foused are all quite near.

Thanks for sharing!!

I don't have a A80 so I am speaking from my experience as a former user of A40 :)

To get the bokeh effect, you can try doing this
1. Zoom to the max
2. Set aperture to as big as possible (in A80's case f/2.8 - Keep in mind f/2.8 on A80 is like f/8 on SLRs/DSLRs)
2. Make sure background is as far back as possible.
3. Get closer to the subject (The closer to the subject, the better the bokeh)

Happy shooting ;)

First off, as some have discussed above, the out of focus area is commonly refered to as bokeh. And if you want the subject to be sharp, and the rest of the area thrown into an array of defocused splashes, then I would think a more agreeable term to use would be "a shallow depth of field". Everything from the foreground to the background being pin sharp is refered to as .. errmm..... I'm not sure myself, but along the lines of deep, broad depth of field.

The amount a bokeh (or blurness in layman terms) depends on to components, mainly the focal length and aperture. I will briefly explain here, as this is a common topic. The larger the aperture (f2.8 is larger than f4, f8 is larger than f22), the blurer the background. The longer the focal length (layman terms commonly refered as zoom), the blurer the background. In my opinion, focal length seems to have am overal larger effect on the blurness.

Now, how do you get a very blur background with a digital compact ? The sad thing is..... its difficult. Digital compacts have exceptionally short focal lengths compared to SLRs, and so it is nearly impossible to get any bokeh at all, even when u have large apertures. The Sony f717 was able to do it because it has a huge zoom, but even then, the focal length is still pretty short. But anyway, the best u can do is to shoot at the longest focal length on your cam, with the smallest aperture. Set the subject nearer, with the background further.

I jumped to a D100 dslr from an A40, purely for bokeh.

25853855.jpg

This was done @ 70mm f2.8 . On a digital compact, and equivilant to a 70mm would probably be around 300-400mm zoom.... which would put the subject too far away... so there is hardly a substitute for the real thing.

Its a pity really. If u must, use photoshop to achieve this. But even then, it will take u days of editing to perfect the real thing.

Newbie123 said:
I don't have a A80 so I am speaking from my experience as a former user of A40 :)

To get the bokeh effect, you can try doing this
1. Zoom to the max
2. Set aperture to as big as possible (in A80's case f/2.8 - Keep in mind f/2.8 on A80 is like f/8 on SLRs/DSLRs)

Problem with the A80 at full zoom the largest aperture you will have is f/4.9

Give macro mode at full zoom a go to try and get shallow DoF.

Crysania said:
I am using A80, you can visit my gallery at www.picturesky.com/apple to see some samples. You need the background to be a distance away.

Yup, i did experiment today.
The object to be focus have to be close and the background far.
Only then can we get the DOF effect.

When i press the macro button twice to get the M mode.
I can get very clear close up but adjusting the distance using the left and right button.
Another experiment by a new user....

Crysania said:
I am using A80, you can visit my gallery at www.picturesky.com/apple to see some samples. You need the background to be a distance away.

Nice Album!
Take for example this picture you took

sbw12.jpg

Above picture by Crysania aka Apple

Did you use any close up filter?
How close were you from the spider...?
Hope its not dangerous.. don't try to use Spiderman method to become Spiderwoman.. :blah:

Hey thanks all for sharing ;)

hehe the guy is handsome.. :embrass:

ordinaryless said:
I own a A60.

The only times which i succesfully created a shallow DOF is when i switch to Macro mode and set to the biggest aperture.

Try it and you'll know what i mean. ;)

Yup same here.
Cant actually do it for a portrait shot.
But the manual says the portrait actually set the background to be blur while the object is sharp in the foreground.

kohweekuan said:
Yup same here.
Cant actually do it for a portrait shot.
But the manual says the portrait actually set the background to be blur while the object is sharp in the foreground.

I guess it is supposed to be that way but as marc as said, consumer camera usually doesnt offer 'obvious' shallow DOF.

Alternatively, one can achieve that effect thru PS. :)

ordinaryless said:
I guess it is supposed to be that way but as marc as said, consumer camera usually doesnt offer 'obvious' shallow DOF.

Alternatively, one can achieve that effect thru PS. :)

The object have to be really close up and the background far in order to get more obvious DOF....

Status
Not open for further replies.