Canon A70 , Fuji F601 or Coolpix 3100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feng

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, I could use some pointers to help me decide on my first digicam and I have more or less narrowed down my list to these three 3MP cameras which should cost below $600.

-Canon PowerShot A70
-Fuji FinePix F601
-Nikon Coolpix 3100

I will use it mostly to capture my kids both indoor and outdoors, size must be small, easy to carry around, can whip out quickly to catch the little cutie in action, so basically i need a fussfree point and shoot cam. And picture must be sharp. FYI, my current cam is a Olympus mju-II! Love it, very good image quality.

I've got some views of my 3 shortlisted and i like your comments too...

A70 - major concern - image quality too soft as seen here http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a70-review/IMG_9732.JPG

Coolpix 3100 - like its small size

FinePix F601 - been hearing good things about its pic quality and color, but its last year model and high $300? repair cost. Current pcshow promo priced it <$600 after trade-in

West_ray thanks for your advice but your link came up blank.

As for my link to the soft A70 image, it is still there, you will see a pic of a lot of trees and water and it looks pretty bad to me. I wonder if A70 users here have similar experiences.

Saw a ad in the paper for a Ricoh Caplio G3 for $499 and it looks another possible choice for me. Read more here http://www.ricohzone.com/Product_RR30.html

Originally posted by West_ray
link doesnt work though ...

I would choose A70 ... the main reason is tat it uses AA batt ...

but i'm getting A70 within this wk .. wonder if PC show got offer any freebies with the purchase ...

feng, maybe u can try to compare using this ... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

BTW, 3100 also uses AA battries too.... :dunno: :cool:

Hi guys, I'm a newbie.:bsmilie: I jus got my 1st DC at the PC show yesterday. Had my mind set on the A70 cos read alot of very good review abt it, But wen i ws there, i was advised by salesman to get A60 instead cos since I'm jus it for 4R prints, A60 is jus as gd as A70 & cheaper somemore:D So i guess it all boils down to the sort of usage the buyer has i mind.;) Too much feature is a waste if u do not use it.:dunno:
Jus my 2 cents, still got lots to learn:embrass:

hihi ... do u have any prob for ur A60 ??? Coz i heard there's many prob with A70 like tat flicking LCD and the cover for the lens cannot be totally shut ... today i just went MS color and encounter the same prob, tat's y i didnt get it ...

Originally posted by matoriv
zhun bo?

a70 so many probs meh?

i'm not sure whether the probs tat i mentioned actually is the "prob" ... tat's wat i heard and experience ... some owners said tat it is 'normal' for the LCD to flick ... and some said not ... so i'm actually having doubts loh ...

hihi ... do u have any prob for ur A60 ??? Coz i heard there's many prob with A70 like tat flicking LCD and the cover for the lens cannot be totally shut ... today i just went MS color and encounter the same prob, tat's y i didnt get it ...

Been trying out my new DC this few days & i must say i like it so far. No problems encountered ( fingers crossed:angel: ) I guess those problems of other members may be a isolated cases. I read a few mags & oso website reviews, all giving A70 good reviews dats y i initiately planned to buy dat model.

A70 user here.. had the camera for about a month, didn't experience any of the problems above. Personally think A70 rox. Just my 2 cents.

hi yunching and Navy ... may i know where u got ur A70 from ?? might be going to the shop to have a look ...

thanks thanks!

hi yunching and Navy ... may i know where u got ur A70 from ?? might be going to the shop to have a look ...

thanks thanks!

I got my A60 at the PC show. Try CP. they r the ones selling Canon cameras at the show.

Hi, I have been reading up and seeing pictures taken from Canon A70 and Nikon 3100. And I am currently liking pictures from the Nikon very much.

A70? The manual controls may give it good reviews but its pictures are SOFT! and I really can't stand fuzzy pictures, it makes me think my eyesight got problem..:what:

Also more or less downgraded the Fuji F601 too.

Originally posted by feng
Hi, I have been reading up and seeing pictures taken from Canon A70 and Nikon 3100. And I am currently liking pictures from the Nikon very much.

A70? The manual controls may give it good reviews but its pictures are SOFT! and I really can't stand fuzzy pictures, it makes me think my eyesight got problem..:what:

Also more or less downgraded the Fuji F601 too.

are the pics taken from the A60 also soft ???

are the pics taken from the A60 also soft ???

I don't know, but A60 is 2 megapixel so you already lost 1 megapixels compare to the current popular 3mp like the A70 and Nikon 3100.

thanks thanks!

I got mine from Alan Photo..

Status
Not open for further replies.