Canon 85mm f1.8 USM

rain-station

May 1, 2010
AMK
Hi guys I m recently considering the above lens not sure shld I buy it for portraiture ? As I m using 550D . I hv got 50mm f1.8 though most ppl said is plastic lens but personally I love it vry much.
Shld I buy a 2nd hand or new leh? Any suggestion?

Hi guys I m recently considering the above lens not sure shld I buy it for portraiture ? As I m using 550D . I hv got 50mm f1.8 though most ppl said is plastic lens but personally I love it vry much.

Make sure you are comfortable with the focal length for the kind of shot you're intending to take.
50/1.8 is very affordable, so don't expect it to be made like a pro-grade model.
If you have a basic zoom lens that includes 85mm, try that to see if it is a comfortable focal length to shoot portraits with.

buying new or 2nd hand also totally up to you. Price vs perceived peace-of-mind :)

Let the people blabber. If you love your lens and you are happy with the results then why spend money to satisfy other people's chit-chat? Use the lens, learn to capture good pictures.
You should only buy if you really know that you need this lens. Is your 50mm too short? Do you know how to use a f/1.8 lens? 2nd hand prices are just slightly below the shop prices. Some people must have everything new, others are relaxed with 2nd hand equipment. Finally your call. We have some guides about checking 2nd hand equipment.

Thanks guys . I understand what should I do Liao lol