Canon 85mm f1.8 or 100mm f2.8 marco or Tamron 90mm marco?

jonestyan

Deregistered
Dec 16, 2006
NorthEast Sengkang
Dear Fellow members

Kindly advise which lens should I buy? Canon 85mm f1.8 or 100mm f2.8 marco or Tamron 90mm marco?

Can the Canon 100mm f2.8 marco USM replace the 85mm f1.8 in term of len choice?

I mean if I am getting the Canon 100mm f2.8 Marco I don't need the 85mm f1.8?

Used lens for the above is it ok to buy venus New lens?

Thank you :)

you are comparing 1:1 lens with 1:7 lens?

what do you want to use for?

The 85mm F1.8 have a shallower DoF and larger aperture permitting higher shutter speed for the same exposure. The macro lens can do macro. They are not direct substitute for one another.

But in "general" case, the 100mm macro can be used in place of the 85mm, althou the longer focal length can cause a bit inconvenience sometimes.

Generally the 100mm macro is better (in a few aspects) compared to the T90, just that it is more expensive. If the price difference is no issue, the Canon 100mm macro is better.

When using a lens, what matters most is whether it is still in good operating condition. Being old or new doesn't matter (you buy a new lens and use it, it will became old). As for whether it is "safe" to buy old lens or whether the seller can be trusted, that is a different issue. if you are afraid of being cheated or short changed, it is safer to buy new lens.

Last edited:
i presume u intend to use it as a portrait/macro lens..

For a more versatile option : 100mm f 2.8

For a more versatile on a budget option : Tammy 90 f2.8 <-- Value for money

Depends on budget and usage. What are you using it for?

85mm is a shorter FL. You might be able to use it indoors more than a 100mm lens for portrait work (unless you live in a big house).
Its cheap though.
It certainly cannot do macro AS IS, but if you don't mind extension tubes or a closeup filter, you will get a cheap, fast 85mm lens that 'can do' macro

90mm is kind of a compromise solution between the 3 lenses you mentioned. I'd get this one if the price is around that of the 85mm. Main reason being that its more convenient to use for macro. 5mm difference between 85mm and 90mm should not change working distance for portraits too much. Additionally you can focus nearer even if indoors as this is a macro lens.

100mm macro is a bit long for indoor portraits. Focus distance is no advantage over the 90mm (your not really going to be too much further from the subject vs a 90mm). Probably the most pricey of the 3.

I'd go for 90mm as the 1st choice, followed by the 85mm. Unless you factor in build quality (arguable) and cost is no option, which may swing things a bit.

Last edited:
If you want to do macro then of course the 85 is out.
The Tamron is sharp so can be considered.
There is also the new 100 macro IS to consider.
If you only want do portrait then the 85 is a more suitable lens.

My usage would likely for events like wedding, portraits, perhap some Marco shots. currently own Tamron 17 - 50m f2.8. looking for lens for events and peoples taking. Thank you.

Try a MACRO lens, there isn't any lens named after Marco Polo :)

My usage would likely for events like wedding, portraits, perhap some Marco shots. currently own Tamron 17 - 50m f2.8. looking for lens for events and peoples taking. Thank you.

Seems like you are going to concentrate on people more. If so then the 85 1.8.

You can reverse your kit lens to take macro.

depends on what you want to shoot... Just get both the 85 mm and 100 macro :thumbsup:

since your primary purpose is not macro, i would go with 85mm f1.8 over 100mm f2.8.

r u on a full frame or crop?

People and event as your main subject topic - then EF85mm f1.8 is a better choice. It is lighter, brighter f-value, DOF is fastastic and it is cheaper. I feel that 85mm is 'more flexible' than 100mm during event due to limitation of space.

I would recommend 2nd hand lens, though you need to take risk. Main reason is re-selling would not cause significany lost, most of the time you can sell at the same price as what you had got it for.
For EF85mm f1.8, go for those that have hood and filter.

i sold my 85mmf1.8 and now use 100mm L Macro lens double as protrait lens, i find it better (2 in1) and also with IS.

i presume u intend to use it as a portrait/macro lens..

For a more versatile option : 100mm f 2.8

For a more versatile on a budget option : Tammy 90 f2.8 <-- Value for money

Then again, the price difference between the Canon and the Tamron isn't that significant.

Budget Constraints -> Tamron 90. But focusing is slow. Can also consider the non-L 100mm Macro

If you like low DOF ->85 f1.8

Under low light conditions, 100L allows you to use lower shutter speeds and lower ISO vs 85mm because of HIS. You're likely to get a sharp shot at 1/40 for 100L wide open.
This advantage only for still portraits only though. For moving subjects, will be different story

For me, I bring the 100L out more vs the 85 f1.8 nowadays, unless I want the low DOF look. Even then, the 100L has quite low DOF at 100mm f2.8 already