Canon 7D vs Pentax K-5 vs Nikon D7000

why not wait for sony A77 to reach SG, shouldn't be long now & it introduce new sensor technology, not to mention the price range is near to K-5 & D7000(from the official USA price seems to be cheaper but dun know when reach sg how much it'll bloat)

Get pentax then. A very under rated camera

rhino123 said:
So... what type of real feedback are you looking for?

I personally had experience with 7D (owned one) and loved it. Fabulous video, image and speed. I played with my bro's D7000, loved it too, great image, good low light quality, easy to use video (excellent quality too), smaller than 7D and lighter.

I have never played with K-5, but from reviews, it seemed like a good camera. So there... confusing enough?

Oh... one more thing... K-5 and D7000 shared the same sensor (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/02/inside-nikon-d7000-k-5-sensor-is-there.html)

So how come K-5 sensor is better, this is something that I do not know.

Plus... seriously, D7000 movie is great. It's autofocus during movie mode might not be top notched but usable and seriously you do not really need this ability (7D didn't have and I have made quite a few good clips).

Finally to just use DXOmark on whether a camera is better than the other is way off... those test are done in lab. In real life, things might be a bit different.

I agreed though that you say some user (Canon user, Nikon user or Pentax user) might not say good thing about the particular camera they are using... that is why I included the word 'lover'.

I hope this feedback is real enough for you.

Hello..... 7D costs than pentax.

So if both are same features, why should I buy 7D? It's $500 more, not $50.

Anyway pentax has in body stabilizer....... Sonthing that 7D is lacking, and this will affects the lenses

Hello..... 7D costs than pentax.

So if both are same features, why should I buy 7D? It's $500 more, not $50.

Anyway pentax has in body stabilizer....... Sonthing that 7D is lacking, and this will affects the lenses

Did I ever say, buy 7D? I just say that I own and is using a 7D and I love the 7D. I never, for once, called you or TS or anyone else to buy 7D. So what if Pentax has inbody stabilizer, to you it might be important, to me... I don't care about that... I have a old 300mm f4L lens without any image stabilizer and I shoot pretty sharp, blurr free shots from it, so as long as the lighting permits I have no need of any stabilizer, if lighting not too good or I am not confident of a good shot, I rely on my monopod or worst case, my tripod.

And before any Pentax user started flaming me... I am not against Pentax and its inbody stabilizing system. I love Pentax after seeing some of the pics from flickr and my buddies in the company. I have never really use one before, so very little for me to expand. I used Nikon (D90 and D7000) before, liked the control. I used Sony A55 briefly once, and found it very easy to use and quite addicting.

I have used a Olympus EP-L1... very easy to use but not fast...

Most of my time, I use Canon (1000D, then 40D and recently 7D), so I am more incline to the Canon because I am more used to the Canon and not that Canon is better than any other brands.

SO in summary, don't feel that I suggested any camera brands... it is all up to you to decide. You can trust DXOlab fully and throw all others into the bins while getting only that camera that score the highest, or you could trust your own feeling when you walk right into the shop and play around with it... then look at what is important to you.

TS, starting a XXX vs YYY thread will always fan flames for a brand war, cause this is not a brand specific forum.

I won't want to wade into this sort of brand war, so I will just say what is obvious (in camera spec) and what I know.

K5 -
100% viewfinder
Full mag alloy body (not partial)
Weather resistance (w/ good set of commercial (cheaper) and pro grade lenses that are weather resistant)

Very nice interface
Eg.
1. WB and picture style preview
2. WB and picture style saving of last taken image
3. Save last taken JPEG as RAW at the press of a button

Example of how this is actually useful.
Imagine shooting a nice orange sunrise and you forgot that WB is on AUTO.
Upon preview, you realize your mistake, the AWB makes the scene look less warm.
On the K5, you simply go to WB options, and a preview of the scene will be shown.
Change your WB accordingly the preview will change accordingly.
Just press a button to save the pict as a new file with the selected WB.
BTW, you can then proceed to save it using fluroscent WB for a more magenta look as well
. ;)

4. TAv mode - Select aperture and shutter speed. The camera will adjust ISO for exposure control. Very usable nowadays with the good ISO performance of the camera.
Eg.
Concert hall with a 200mm lens.
You want to have good enough shutter speed to both freeze motion and prevent camera shake.
So you just swith to TAv mode; select 1/200 shutter speed and f4 for better DOF.
The camera will adjust ISO per shot to give proper exposure.

5. 5 customizable user modes
6. Focus adjustment for up to 20 lenses. - so that there is less need to visit a service center just to do it.
7. Pixel mapping out in menu (for defective pixels)- again no need to visit a service center just to do it (and this happens to all cameras of any brand)
8. Very even and fine grain noise, even at high ISO. Easier and more tolerant to push in PP if need be.

Yes, a few camera brands can share the same sensor, but o/p can be very different.
Few things come into play.
AA filter used is different (no perfect answer stronger/weaker filter is better; there are pros and cons to both)
No one knows if sensor is same bin or not. (ie. cheaper sensor = lower binning )
Design of supporting circuitry and chip tweaking (cooler sensor; less noisy board design; higher biased for more sensitivity, etc)
Each brands own definition and philosophy of what color is what color
Each brands approach to noise reduction (heavy -so that it always look nice straight from camera. Light - leave it to the user to do NR to balance detail vs noise)
etc.

Of course, it typically gets closer once the user shoots RAW (closer, not exactly the same since some points mentioned above will always be different).

You can compare the o/p from various cameras here :
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
http://www.dpreview.com/

All cameras at this point of time can produce very good quality photos. I'd even dare say that at normal viewing sizes, they are no different from each other in terms of picture quality. Even w/ pixel peeping, its really nit picking and splitting hairs.
At the end, its really a question of finding value for the money you will spend; preference for certain features over others.
I leave others more familiar with the other brands/cameras to highlight the shining points of the other cameras.

Last edited:
No... he is not, he is just waiting for real feedback for the 3 camera.

real feedback?

well, there are so many factors contributing to make a photo look great.

My personal opinion, an expert shoot with a p&s camera will make the picture look great than a newbabies shoot with these 3 body or even a FF body.

My advise to TS, go to a shop and test it out and see which body suit his taste.

Reading too much reviews and listening to too many user feedback was make the TS confuse and end up dunno what to buy.

i would suggest looking at which of the 3 brands' lens that suit you more. The bodies are more or less the same in between all these brands within the category.

TS, you should buy the Canon or the Pentax.

My quota of posts for being non-fanboyish is over with this one. :p

some shops will give a kind of black face if test one camera for too long, and we are now talking about testing 3 cameras.
That's the reason why there is a list of recommended shops. If you search for further comments here you'll find those shops that never give any face. I have tested a few cameras in some of them, no issue at all. But of course, approach them respectfully, tell them what you like to do.

disagree, renting is not cheap, it cost over $120(estimated) to rent a camera for 2-3 days, renting 3 cameras will cost around $400. Definitely will not buy a camera just for testing which makes no sense right.
After your initial visit to she shops you should not need to rent all 3 cameras. Consider the case that you buy and later decide to resell the camera after a few months. Check Buy & Sell for offerings, compare with new prices. If you are lucky then the next models comes out while you want to sell yours. The damage will be bigger then the rental for 2 days.
There is a very old and long thread about the question what is more relevant for a good picture: skills or equipment. Search for it, read, ponder... and see how much time you spend here for the camera. Technically you can't go wrong with either of the cameras. But you need to go on your own.

yes, i read that FAQ thread too. hence shortlisted this 3 models only. Hope to hear user's personal feedback.

More feedback from users... too bad I am not the user....

the feedback will be biased. and not recommended. Canon users will find their EOS to be the best in handling. same with Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc etc etc.

you'll not get an honest opinion, or you wouldn't trust the opinion due to it being from those specific users.

knowing all the specifics is one thing. knowing how it works is another. but whether you'll buy it depends on HOW you like it.

if you were a really buff guy, and you asked a girl on what shirt she'd like to wear because you were looking for opinions, and you followed those opinions, you'll end up hating the choice of a tight pink tube top.

TS. Should have just consider the Sigma SD1.
It has an unique 3 layers 46mp asp-c sensor.

This 46-megapixel DSLR is delivered in a splash-proof, easy-to-handle build that is similar to that of a classic 35mm camera. Professional and high-end enthusiast photographers will utilize the SD1’s exclusive Foveon 23.5x15.7mm APS-C X3 direct image sensor to capture exceptionally rich and detailed images that have a film-like quality. Users will also benefit from Sigma’s wide selection of interchangeable lenses that are compatible with the SD1]

sigmasd1

the feedback will be biased. and not recommended. Canon users will find their EOS to be the best in handling. same with Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc etc etc.

+1 to that.

A canon fan will not say nikon is good the same applied to a nikon fan.

TS should just go and get 2nd hand a entry level body of any brand, play with it until he hit the limitation of the cam, sell the cam aways and upgrade to a higher end or jump to another brand.

Personal first hand experience will beat users feedback and review flat.

I believe after 1 year down the road, he will know what he needs.

I won't be surprise he will say 1100D or D3100 is even better than Canon 7D, Pentax K-5, Nikon D7000 to fufill his need.

Last edited:
Body Price(estimated)
Canon 7D $2150
Pentax K-5 $1600
Nikon D7000 $1600

What i find out.
Canon 7D - 8fps, 100% viewfinder,weather sealed, excellent focusing speed. good image quality, very good video.

Pentax K-5 - 7fps, weather sealed, excellent image quality and very good video. Camera has built in image stabiliser, hece all IS and non-IS lens will become IS.

Nikon D7000 - very good image quality(K-5 better), 100% viewfinder. poor video. Can use SD and CF cards.

What is your view?
By the way, does K-5 have 100% viewfinder? Would like to hear from users of the above cameras.
is Pentax K-5 so good, it is ranked above all Nikon and camera top range cameras. see http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings/Sheet-view

Base on your description. I am sense that you actually know which camera you prefer.

If I am not wrong, you prefer 7D.

Comparing this 3 brands (Canon, Nikon & Pentax) is like ....

The Romance of the 3 kingdoms (China)

All the 3 countries also got strong points.

one got lots of resources
one got lots of soldiers
one got Guan Gong

it's not easy ...

i own both the Canon & Pentax (Entry level DSLR) and i have to be honest..

the Pentax scores much better in any category except for the marketing part & the amount of pinoys using it.

thanks to those who reply and commented, i believe we have enough facts here from bros who contributed.

yes, each has its own good and bad. Will get a feel of each camera if i have the chance. no hurry lah.