Canon 7D for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicboy

Nov 28, 2010
Planet Earth
www.flickr.com
Is that too advanced?
I am a newbie to DSLRs - am decent with a point and shoot and proficient with photoshop but wanting to move on to the realm of DSLRs...
Checking out the Canon 7D at the moment, or the 60D (though the body looks brittle...)
Any veteran advice and acquaintance would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Carl

Welcome to cs!!
If u have the budget, why not??
But be sure to set aside a sum for accessories as always advised..
Take a look at the stickies.. it'll help ;)
Enjoy ur stay :)

Hey there and welcome to CS!

Firstly, the 7D is not too advanced, as you definitely can pick it up with your experience, but I do think that the 60D is not brittle at all. I have got a friend with the 60D and I think it performs well, and with its price, I do think that its valued for money! Most importantly, it's what you like, and just make the decision according to your needs :)

Two approaches: get a lower end body, start shooting and get the advanced one (8D then?) later. Or get the 7D now and forget about new body for the next 5 years or more. I'd say the main question is how serious you are about the hobby. If unsure start with a lower end. So far nobody suffered from going this way ;)

My advice is read your manual and practice shooting, join outings and play with your settings and you wont go wrong Welcome to CS!

Welcome to CS . . . ;)

it really depend on your budget and how far you want to go in this hobby . . . :)

Welcome to CS . . . ;)

it really depend on your budget and how far you want to go in this hobby . . . :)

even if you go far into the hobby, it doesn't mean that you necessarily need a higher end camera. it depends on what you shoot.

frankly speaking, for a lot of subjects, such as landscapes, you don't necessarily need a higher end body. beyond the entry level camera, there is little that can be offered by a higher end body.

Hmm think no DSLR is really too advanced . Like driving a normal car and a luxurious car. Same skills need, just need to get used to both cars and of course , the luxurious car would have more features than the normal car that makes the driving experience much better.

If you compare a 5Dm2 with a 1000D, the same basic understanding is needed to operate. Just that the 5dm2 might have features that you might not need as a non professional.

So the questions is really on what value you want for your $$ :)

I realize one thing about buying more expensive stuff: Usually, it's the "intangibles" that seal the deal.

I would say it's pretty difficult to compare 2 cameras (eg. 60D and 7D) and go "well, the 7D costs x% more than the 60D because it has ____, _____ and _____ features".

It could be something as minor as a different shape of the grip, or the feel of the buttons. But those things might make the experience of using it more enjoyable.

but of course.... one must set limits!
Most important point is not to spend beyond one's means!

I realize one thing about buying more expensive stuff: Usually, it's the "intangibles" that seal the deal.

I would say it's pretty difficult to compare 2 cameras (eg. 60D and 7D) and go "well, the 7D costs x% more than the 60D because it has ____, _____ and _____ features".

It could be something as minor as a different shape of the grip, or the feel of the buttons. But those things might make the experience of using it more enjoyable.

but of course.... one must set limits!
Most important point is not to spend beyond one's means!

Bro... get the Hasselblad H4D bro... 60MP FTW!
:devil::devil:

Thanks for all the kind advice!
Will very very seriously deliberate on this matter for a couple more days...
Any recommended lenses for portrait photography?
I wish to capture my 7mth boy on digital! =)

Thanks for all the kind advice!
Will very very seriously deliberate on this matter for a couple more days...
Any recommended lenses for portrait photography?
I wish to capture my 7mth boy on digital! =)

You only need the holy trinity

50mm 1.4

85mm 1.4

135mm 1.8

:)

bad influence! :bsmilie:

but I would choose to go wider... it's a crop factor camera after all...
I'd say Sigma 30/1.4

Oops you just add one more to the list haha. :cool:

You veterans all use prime lenses?
Does anyone recommend zoom lenses?
And are the Canon ones the best compared to Tamron / Sigma / Tokina?

Is that too advanced?
I am a newbie to DSLRs - am decent with a point and shoot and proficient with photoshop but wanting to move on to the realm of DSLRs...
Checking out the Canon 7D at the moment, or the 60D (though the body looks brittle...)

Cheers!
Carl

:thumbsup: 7D :thumbsup:

Is that too advanced?

Cheers!
Carl

The present dslr, there are nothing too advance nor too simple for the beginner or pro.(some may have difference view on this:bsmilie:) However, do not equal getting a more advance camera means automatically taking good photo. If you can afford, why not? However, do budget for getting the right lens for your genre and as well as any other accessories, as these can be quite expensive.

Last edited:

you can find out more at photozone.de.

third party lenses can have comparable offerings to canon ones.

stick with Canon lens if the budget allows. However, these third party lens offer value for money (not all the time though) and sometimes they even excel better than the canon itself. You gotta read the review.... too many lens to cover...

edit. photozone.de is a good.

Status
Not open for further replies.