Canon 7D Av mode quick dial changes both shutter speed and exposure?

zinvie

Feb 14, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a problem here. I just bought a Canon 7D and was playing around with the settings in Av mode.
I noticed when looking through my viewfinder and rotating my quick dial (the dial behind the camera, not the one on top), it not only changes the shutter setting, but also the exposure! This happens for manual mode and shutter moder.

This becomes very irritating as sometime i need to quickly change my settings while looking through the viewfinder. Is there anyway to lock the exposure?

RTFM!!! sighs..... :faint::kok::faint:

If your ISO is fixed, or your changes to shutter speed, etc, are beyond what the auto ISO can do, how do you expect the camera to compensate for your changes to shutter speed, etc? Especially in Manual mode, it is YOUR job to adjust the settings to achieve the desired exposure - not the cameras job to achieve a balanced exposure based on your settings.

P mode (program mode) will try to adjust everything to maintain the exposure value.

And yes, this is also covered in your manual, and on almost all newbie guides out there, including the one here in CS.

Hi guys,

I have a problem here. I just bought a Canon 7D and was playing around with the settings in Av mode.
I noticed when looking through my viewfinder and rotating my quick dial (the dial behind the camera, not the one on top), it not only changes the shutter setting, but also the exposure! This happens for manual mode and shutter moder.

This becomes very irritating as sometime i need to quickly change my settings while looking through the viewfinder. Is there anyway to lock the exposure?

huh? don't move the quick dail (the one behind the camera). Just use the dial on the top to set the aperture the way you wanted in an Aperture mode... I don't understand why you want to move that quick dail as that is for you to manually set your exposure.

If you want to utilise both dials for what both shutter speed and aperture, go for fully manual mode.

In P, Av and Tv mode, the rear dial is for exposure compensation. So of course it's going to change the exposure value. If you want to change Aperture (in Av), Shutter Speed (in Tv) or Program Shift (in P), use the front dial. If you keep turning it accidentally, there is a lock switch. I happen to prefer the exp compensation on the rear dial -- quick change without having to press a button.

That's been the default operation standard for all the 2-dial, mid-range Canon DSLRs I've used. As said before, read your manual for precise details.

Hi guys,

For manual mode, the camera won't change the exposure. You are the one that decide the exposure by setting your 3 parameters. What you saw there regarding the exposure going up and down is what the camera think the photo will be over or under exposed based on its metering.

You might want to go for the free canon classes..what you're describing is not camera fault but a lack of knowledge with the camera...we were all once like that too...hands on classes do help more than reading

Thanks guys for the replies. Yeah, i found out late last night after reading the manual. Thanks for your feedback guys