Canon 70-200mm F4L IS Vibration

digisheep

Sep 4, 2010
Singapore
Hi all,

I bought a Canon 70-200mm F4L IS USM recently. The lens can focus pretty quickly. However, I realised that the lens vibrate quite a fair bit when it is trying to focus. It continues to vibrate even after it has gained focus. Is this normal?

Can those with this lens share your experience? Thanks a lot.

Were u closer than the minimum focusing distance?

what vibration? if it's the rather loud hissing, then you are fine, cause' the IS mechanism is telling you that it is working hard.

Hi, yes it is the IS that is causing the hissing sound (vibration). Regardless of the distance focused, the IS continues to vibrate for around 2 seconds even after gaining focus. I'm a bit concerned as all my other lenses IS don't seem to work in this manner i.e. once focused, no more sound will be heard.

Hi, yes it is the IS that is causing the hissing sound (vibration). Regardless of the distance focused, the IS continues to vibrate for around 2 seconds even after gaining focus. I'm a bit concerned as all my other lenses IS don't seem to work in this manner i.e. once focused, no more sound will be heard.

don't worry, you are more than fine. the 70-200L f4 IS is known for its attention seeking IS mechanism.

go turn off the IS, the sound and vibration should be gone, try it to believe it.

Hi tecnica, thanks for the assurance. At least now I know that there isnt anything wrong with the lens. thanks.

Hi tecnica, thanks for the assurance. At least now I know that there isnt anything wrong with the lens. thanks.

however, do note that if there is any other weird persistent sound coming out from the lens, then it's better for you to drop by CSC and have the lens checked.

user discretion is advised.

Hi digisheep,
I got mine recently and when I went into my car and tried to shoot paparazzi style, it scared the daylights out of me. There was a loud hissing sound (focusing) and afgter it focused, 2 seconds it stopped. Snap the pic re-focus, same thing. When I placed the lens close to the ear with the shutter half pressed, I can hear the humming sound. Went straight to the shop, took a few lenses and they all behave the same. It is the IS motor. Today, I tried with the F2.8L IS MK II and when you place your ears beside the lens, you can hear the same humming noise, albeit, a little softer than the F4L IS. So all is well!!!!! Enjoy a superb lens with half the weight!