Canon 70-200 mkII + 2x extender question

Nov 15, 2012
SGP
Hi people, I was experimenting with a 500mm mirror lens last night, and it jitters like mad when I'm focusing. End up 1 shot marginally ok while the rest were just out of focus.

I have a 70-200 and was toying with the idea of getting a 2x extender. Like to ask if anyone has tried and does the focusing jitter a lot at 400mm?

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by 'jitter'? The image shaking in viewfinder? Well, that's pretty normal since the narrow field of view amplifies the slightest movement of the camera / lens system. AFAIR, the 500m mirror lenses are manual focus lenses, it's pretty normal that the image 'jitters' while you focus and touch the lens.
But then: is your tripod / tripod head stable enough?
If you want to use this physically longer lens of 70-200 with extender then do consider a tripod collar balance the camera / lens setup.

Yep, it jumps around in the view finder.

I use a old manfrotto tripod/head combi that's been quite stable, sufficient to handle heavier setups, so I'm guessing it's not the factor.

Thanks for helping me to frame the question, due to the narrow FOV, will the 70-200/2x extender combi also be as jittery?

Thanks for helping me to frame the question, due to the narrow FOV, will the 70-200/2x extender combi also be as jittery?
The 500mm mirror lens is rather compact. The lever of the long lens and the weight / center of gravity being further away from the ball head will make it even worse when the camera is mounted on the tripod head. If you use a tripod collar for the lens then the entire setup is a) better balanced; and b) movements at the camera side will cause less jitter because the pivotal point is somewhere in the middle of the setup.

What do you mean by 'jitter'? The image shaking in viewfinder? Well, that's pretty normal since the narrow field of view amplifies the slightest movement of the camera / lens system. AFAIR, the 500m mirror lenses are manual focus lenses, it's pretty normal that the image 'jitters' while you focus and touch the lens.
But then: is your tripod / tripod head stable enough?
If you want to use this physically longer lens of 70-200 with extender then do consider a tripod collar balance the camera / lens setup.

The 500mm mirror lens is rather compact. The lever of the long lens and the weight / center of gravity being further away from the ball head will make it even worse when the camera is mounted on the tripod head. If you use a tripod collar for the lens then the entire setup is a) better balanced; and b) movements at the camera side will cause less jitter because the pivotal point is somewhere in the middle of the setup.

Thanks. Will get a extender to try out then. :)

the more tele the lens,the more easier to get jitter.
i have the lens and the 2x MK III extender and at 400mm,the stability of the tripod head and tripod is very important.
but iam more concern with the IQ on this set up.
iam curious what do u shoot with these lenses?

Last edited:
the more tele the lens,the more easier to get jitter.
i have the lens and the 2x MK III extender and at 400mm,the stability of the tripod head and tripod is very important.
but iam more concern with the IQ on this set up.
iam curious what do u shoot with these lenses?

For now, just moon shots. Not proficient enough to try moving targets.

What camera are you using? You might want to just get a wired remote

5D mk2. I do use a wired remote for shooting, but the 500mm is manual, hence still need to move the lens when focusing.

5D mk2. I do use a wired remote for shooting, but the 500mm is manual, hence still need to move the lens when focusing.

The moon moves significantly at 500mm. By the time u focus, u need to recompose already, which may explain the jitters. Not to mention u probably need at least 1/500s for sharp shots

Thanks for the tip!

The movement was visible, but still managable, given that the focus didn't really change much. By moving targets, I meant anything moving faster than a slug probably.

Last edited:

I haven't use a mirror lens before,but when shooting moon i prefer to use manual focus.
and yes the moon moves so its best that u give allowance to the position it is moving towards so u do not need to keep adjusting your lens position. be it using a 70-200mm with 2x TC or a 500mm mirror lens,stability is very important in shooting moon.
some things u can take note other than positioning the lens mentioned above and a stable support,it is best that u use a remote shutter and mirror lock up if your camera has this features.