canon 70-200 f4 L vs. sigma 70-200 2.8 APO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipside

Jan 12, 2006
thinkin of buying a telephoto and these 2 are on my short list. the sigma is more expensive and faster but i dont think u can really go wrong with an L-series glass (albeit a slower 1).

theres also d 70-200 f2.8 L but thats double d price for 1 extra stop.

what u guys think? and from experience?

If you can live with the slower fstop, by all means go ahead. But sometimes you might be wishing you gotten the extra stop. Image quality is slightly lower on the Sigma. I still recommend the 70-200/2.8 L non-USM.

hi flipside

most of my friends and myself finds that we seldom use this range, although we had each bought lens of this zoom range 70-200, f4 or f2.8, canon, nikon or otherwise.

my adivce is if possible, borrow from your shooting buddy if he or she has got 1. bring it out as you have intent to. have a actual feel, than see how often you will use it.

just my 2cents.

denniskee said:
hi flipside

most of my friends and myself finds that we seldom use this range, although we had each bought lens of this zoom range 70-200, f4 or f2.8, canon, nikon or otherwise.

my adivce is if possible, borrow from your shooting buddy if he or she has got 1. bring it out as you have intent to. have a actual feel, than see how often you will use it.

just my 2cents.

Totally agreed. I have no need for the 70-200 range.

I find an 85mm prime even more useful. I skipped the 70-200 and got the 100-400 instead.

Do bear in mind that the 70-200 f4 is way lighter and image quality-wise equals the 70-200 f2.8 IS and non-IS models.

Ever since Sigma increased the price of their 70-200/2.8 I no longer think that it's worthwhile to get one. Try to pick up a second hand 70-200/2.8L non-is. It's about 1400-1600 on the used market and is only about 300-400 more than the sigma. Well worth the extra couple of hundreds IMO. For under a 1000, the 70-200/4L is a good choice.

TMC said:
If you can live with the slower fstop, by all means go ahead. But sometimes you might be wishing you gotten the extra stop. Image quality is slightly lower on the Sigma. I still recommend the 70-200/2.8 L non-USM.
I guess you meant 'non-IS''??

Adding to what denniskee and NorthernLights have mentioned, I've found that the 70-200mm range on a 1.6X crop camera, although still useful, is probably less so than if it were on a film camera or full-frame DSLR.

The 70mm end becomes 112mm, which is a little too long for general shooting. At the extreme end it reaches 320mm. Sounds good, but I still find it a little short for some events and also at the zoo. If you're dealing with domesticated animals such as dogs and cats, it's still useful, but it won't cut it if you're going to take a trip to Sungei Buloh for birding.

On the street, the telephoto end makes it quite apt at capturing those candid shots but its mere length and colour attracts enough attention to make you the center of attention.

Putting all of that aside though, the 70-200mm f/4 is a great buy for photographers on a budget. This and the kit lens will get you plenty of shots, with stunning sharpness and colour reproduction. And its light, easy to carry around all day even for a smaller-sized person like myself.

Also, look into Sigma's 70-300mm APO Macro...it gives you 100mm more at the tele end, but at f/5.6, you'd probably need to use a tripod. Observe your own habits to see if you typically shoot from a tripod or are mostly a handheld shooter. For slower subjects, IS might be more important to you than an extra stop.

actaully the 70-200 f4 is a great outdoor and day lens that do not both break the bank and your shoulders from prolong usage. I second it unless you want more bokeh, have the IS so you could still shoot indoors with lowlight.

the tele range also has its share of fans if you want to achieve a few different types of effects. close up shots of portraits, details, isolation of background from subjects etc.

During this month i have seen a great photographer i assist shooting produced impressive unposed candids with the 70-200mmIS.

Belle&Sebastain said:
actaully the 70-200 f4 is a great outdoor and day lens that do not both break the bank and your shoulders from prolong usage. I second it unless you want more bokeh, have the IS so you could still shoot indoors with lowlight.
??? y would he need the f4 if he has the IS as well???:dunno:

i'll get the sigma for f2.8 and HSM. fast focusing is very impt to long lenses

Hmmm... was thinking of getting the sigma 70-200 f2.8 but after reading this thread i'm having second thoughts...

Anyone ever tried shooting indoor events with the canon 70-200 f4 (hand held) with external flash? Any problems? Still think the f4's a little slow for indoor use...

here are mine shot using70-200 f4 ,handheld with ext flash...syn at 200-250 in TV mode...
i think this is an excellent len for me. :thumbsup:
70-200c.jpg

70-2001a.jpg

if you have flash, unless the distance is big, you can step down to f5.6 and still get proper exposure. f2.8 offers you the chance to take pics indoors if it is bright enough w/o the flash and maintain a decent shutter speed. with proper holding techniques of course.

I can hand hold reasonably well without flash indoors. Work on your techniques. 1/60 at 200mm isn't a problem. I believe most people can do this after some practice. Pump up the ISO!

Hmmm...ok. Just that I see quite a few selling their 70-200 f4L in the B&S... almost everyone said that they're upgrading to a 2.8 version for indoor use...

Me and my friend covered a fashion shoot recently, he was using the Sigma 70-200 2.8...the brand new lens missed almost 30-40% of the shots!!!!

Ive seen his work before so its def not his skills.

So if you do choose the Sigma lens, please do extensive testing before choosing.
As my friend did test the lens, but only at the shop without fast moving subjects and a monitor to check properly.

Maybe he got a lemon...i dont know, but from the research off the web concerning Sigma lenses it is a rather huge margin of hits and misses...this is rather intolerable and unacceptable.

Cheers

TMC said:
if you have flash, unless the distance is big, you can step down to f5.6 and still get proper exposure. f2.8 offers you the chance to take pics indoors if it is bright enough w/o the flash and maintain a decent shutter speed. with proper holding techniques of course.

if f4 is not enough, f2.8 won't be enough as well.... for fashion shows, 70-200F4L is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.