Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think u ventured a little too far....1/30 should darn well be the maximum for the 28-135 IS....that is if your hands are steady enuf.

Crazyhorse, what's your reason for pushing to such a low speed?

The 70-200 IS should be good for those who are working pros, amateurs but rich (or at least feel rich) or photojournalists who might shoot in low light with some zoom like 100-200mm. To be fair, the IS makes this a one hellava lens. But otherwise, I don't see how other lenses can't replace this IS version one for most jobs. USE A TRIPOD IF NECESSARY AND POSSIBLE!

Originally posted by mylau

just bought recently, used for many shoots already, very sharp and contrasty lens

hand held all the time?

Originally posted by crazyhorse

Heh, I thought that way on the first photo session a few weeks after I bought my 28-135mm lens, and used shutter speeds of 1/8 and lower. After I got back my prints.......

1/8s...at 28mm or 135mm? I think should be fine if at 28mm...;p

Originally posted by Kho King

1/8s...at 28mm or 135mm? I think should be fine if at 28mm...;p
Having a little knowledge and spreading that bit only is a dangerous thing.

I have the 28-135 and I have shots (yes, they are sharp) taken at 135mm @ 1/8s.

But to get back to the original point that was raised, yes while IS is a great help, it does have its limitations and should not be viewed as a replacement to having (and using) a good tripod (when the situation allows).

Originally posted by Kho King

hand held all the time?

Hand held all the time but shutter speed never go below 1/100

Originally posted by mylau

Hand held all the time but shutter speed never go below 1/100
Try shooting it at 1/60 and let us know the result lah! Heard it is a 2nd generation IS lens where u can shoot at 3 stops below nominal, in this case 1/200.

Originally posted by Barrios
Try shooting it at 1/60 and let us know the result lah! Heard it is a 2nd generation IS lens where u can shoot at 3 stops below nominal, in this case 1/200.

These few weeks very busy, will later shoot at low low speed and post.

Originally posted by Barrios
i think u ventured a little too far....1/30 should darn well be the maximum for the 28-135 IS....that is if your hands are steady enuf.

i think crazyhouse was referring to the fact that at 1/8, u can't freeze anything subject movement, so u can blurred pictures all the time.

so basically even if u can handhold 1/8s (and at 28mm, this is entirely possible with IS), unless u're shooting a rock, any movement of your intended subject will cause motion blur, and any slight wind will cause motion blur in certain kinds of leaves / branches / flowers etc etc that affects the photo.

Then again, if u're shooting a rock, the best way to shoot a rock is to mount the camera on a tripod to get the best and sharpest possible rock u can ever take, and not to mention getting the best use out of the glass in front of the camera ;P

Originally posted by AdamGoi

...got blood some more! :p

hehe....adam u're one of them too?!?! ;p

okay okay...let's all be a little gracious and allow pple to make mistakes. afterall, it's never too late to learn new things. the pple who posted in those threads thinking that they can replace tripods with IS are quite new to photography / SLR photography. (i think)

maybe someone should go start a thread on wat's the stupidest thing in photography u ever did, or wat's the silliest photographic idea u ever held on to ;p

I think those who possess an IS lens would give more precise and objective comments. Those without it tend to provide secondhand information based on articles they have read somewhere. For a person who has just acquired a piece of the latest technology and tested it, I find this lens to be well worthy of the accolades it has received. Nothing incredible, but commendable. At 200mm, shooting at 1/20 and 1/30 give acceptable results. At 1/60, reasonably sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.