Canon 70-200 f/4L IS white petal shape lens hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutesperm

Apr 18, 2008
Hi there to all CSer~

Sold off my 55-250 to a nice chap at CS.
And got myself a new Canon f/4L IS that came with lens hood ET-74.

Btw, here the question.
I seen a photographer on TV before that uses a 70-200 f/4 with a very nice looking white petal shape lens hood.
It really does added the overall look on the whole lens. (i'm a narcissistic dork ;p)

Ive tried searching with the key word 'lens hood' and google it. But i coulnt find it.

Hereby, started this topic and hope that all shifu here to give me some point and poinder as to where can i acquire one.

Thanks

Hi there to all CSer~

Sold off my 55-250 to a nice chap at CS.
And got myself a new Canon f/4L IS that came with lens hood ET-74.

Btw, here the question.
I seen a photographer on TV before that uses a 70-200 f/4 with a very nice looking white petal shape lens hood.
It really does added the overall look on the whole lens. (i'm a narcissistic dork ;p)

Ive tried searching with the key word 'lens hood' and google it. But i coulnt find it.

Hereby, started this topic and hope that all shifu here to give me some point and poinder as to where can i acquire one.

Thanks

As long as there's no red ring, it's NOT a Canon L.

Saw it briefly on TV.

It coulda be a Nikon like Gavin clarified.

Btw, do Canon have any White petal hood like that Nikon 70-200?

If not, guess i have to cut up my ET-74 barrel shape to petal shape and spray paint it white. Chio~~! ;)

Saw it briefly on TV.

It coulda be a Nikon like Gavin clarified.

Btw, do Canon have any White petal hood like that Nikon 70-200?

If not, guess i have to cut up my ET-74 barrel shape to petal shape and spray paint it white. Chio~~! ;)

Your hood is a functional thing designed for optimal shading of stray light that may hit the front element of your lens. It is not a thing of ego-boosting nor is it an accessory of beauty. Cutting it up will likely cripple its full function.

You are missing the whole point of using a lens hood. :nono:

Petal hoods seem to work more effectively in my opinion as it kinda shades more. Another function of a lens hood which kinda like is that it does help prevent physical impact on the front element/filter to a certain extent.

I find the white of the L 70200s glaring and attracts waaay too much attention. Not often a good thing when shooting. If I wern't so lazy, I would tape everything up in black.

Petal hoods seem to work more effectively in my opinion as it kinda shades more. Another function of a lens hood which kinda like is that it does help prevent physical impact on the front element/filter to a certain extent.

I am sure the manufacturers thought quite hard about hood profiles with different lenses, and how each profile (petal or barrel) optimally shades the lens from flare/stray light. That's probably why some lenses have petal hoods and others have barrel hoods.

Petal hoods are designed such that the light cut off from the front element of the lense is more or less even (the cuts in the hood coincides with the corners of your frame, so that there is less light falloff at the corners when you use the hood). If you put on a petal hood and look at the shadow cast by the hood on the front element of the lense, you should be able to see a roughly rectangular frame formed by the shadows.

I find the white of the L 70200s glaring and attracts waaay too much attention. Not often a good thing when shooting. If I wern't so lazy, I would tape everything up in black.

Do u even know why Canon makes it white? The reason is becos these white tele Ls have fluorite elements inside them in which too much heat will affect its properties. Therefore it's white to reduce heat internally or reduce its 'Greenhouse Effect'.

Do u even know why Canon makes it white? The reason is becos these white tele Ls have fluorite elements inside them in which too much heat will affect its properties. Therefore it's white to reduce heat internally or reduce its 'Greenhouse Effect'.

Used to have that misconception as well ... till I found out that only some of the L tele zooms have a or a few flourite element(s). Some don't. Same thing goes for the fixed focal length L teles.

think the day i can make up my mind on the 70-200, first thing i do is gaffer the whole lens in black.

I doubt the difference in white and black even affects the amount of heat absorption enough to affect the precision of the fluorite optics.

I doubt the difference in white and black even affects the amount of heat absorption enough to affect the precision of the fluorite optics.

Mabbie for the long long L teles with flourite in them, under 30-40 degee sun for nearly half a day equipment left there and remotely fired type of shooting will be affected.

think the day i can make up my mind on the 70-200, first thing i do is gaffer the whole lens in black.

Hmm...since I'm too lazy to black tape the garish white, I should consider spray painting the hood
HAWT PEENK!!!
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hm...from what I read from couple of articles, it does seem that Canon do take the heat factor in to consideration, thus using white instead of black. Guess I need to check the credibility of these articles..

Status
Not open for further replies.