Canon 6D - Using Aperture Mode with Flash

november-art

Mar 13, 2012
Hi fellow friends,

can anyone advise me on this?

I use canon 6D body with Flash and I used Aperture priority mode and Flash is in TTL mode during low light situation.

my problem here is my image gets blur. I checked with my friend who uses Nikon and he gets sharp image by just using aperture priority and flash in TTL.
he said although, shutter speed is slow such as 1/30 s, flash compensation helps to prevent the handshake.

But, apparently it is not the case for mine.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

here is my setting details:

Mode : Aperture priority
ISO : Manually set to 800.
Flash : TTL
I used prime lens.

Thanks in advance.

What is your shutter speed anyway? Some settings cause your shutter speed to go into some super duper slow setting.

Some sample pictures would help

For Canon system, flash TTL is not taken into consideration when you are in Av or Tv mode (not sure for Manual). Which means when in the Av mode, the shutter speed is metered based on the ambient lights.

E.g.
Without flash, ur camera meter the scene in Av mode (for instance f8), 1 second
With flash at the same mode, still 1 second.

So, you are stuck with either changing it to manual mode and set the settings urself or use P mode.

Last edited:
For Canon system, flash TTL is not taken into consideration when you are in Av or Tv mode (not sure for Manual). Which means when in the Av mode, the shutter speed is metered based on the ambient lights.

E.g.
Without flash, ur camera meter the scene in Av mode (for instance f8), 1 second
With flash at the same mode, still 1 second.
So, you are stuck with either changing it to manual mode and set the settings urself or use P mode.

There should be a custom function that restricts shutter speeds in Av mode - try the 1/60 - 1/250s setting (that's for the 60D. I'm not sure what the max flash sync is for the 6D)

Last edited:
Thanks bro for your help.

yes, it seems Canon metering doesn't count if it's with flash or without flash.

I tried manual mode (set the Shutter at min 1/100 sec to prevent from handshake and play with Aperture and I set Flash in TTL).

It gives me clear picture.

There should be a custom function that restricts shutter speeds in Av mode - try the 1/60 - 1/250s setting (that's for the 60D. I'm not sure what the max flash sync is for the 6D)

Yes, there is this minimum shutter speed thingy, but it's still not taking the flash into the metering computation... so might as well change to manual and fire away..

Thanks bro for your help.

yes, it seems Canon metering doesn't count if it's with flash or without flash.

I tried manual mode (set the Shutter at min 1/100 sec to prevent from handshake and play with Aperture and I set Flash in TTL).

It gives me clear picture.

btw, found the link that describes the behaviour of the flash in Canon system..

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/656979-flash-photography-canon-eos-cameras.html

For Night photography few keys you need to take note:
1) Aperture
2) Shutter speed
3) ISO

Tip from me is first, take a photo using P mode without the flash attach.
Next try use either manual or aperture priority, set aperture to the highest like f2.8
depending on your lens highest f stop.

Take a photo and check if the photo turns out dark, you might want to adjust the shutter speed.
How? Since you have taken a photo using p mode check the shutter speed in p mode and
adjust lower.

Like say the photo taken in p mode is 125 secs, you might want to try 100 secs and below.
To me flash doesn't really help in low light shoots for landscape.
For close-by subjects at night, you can use flash.
Hope this helps.

Tripod and camera remote helps to prevent camera shake also.

Last edited:
if u too busy to read the EOS Flash Bible, than read the camera manual at least.

in AV mode for canon camera, it will meter for ambient, flash does the fill in for the subject.

so in low light, shutter speed will be low to capture ambient, flash will light up the subject according to where ur activated AF point, aperture n distant, so highly possible ur blurr pitcure is due to camera shake.

Last edited:
For Night photography few keys you need to take note:
1) Aperture
2) Shutter speed
3) ISO

Tip from me is first, take a photo using P mode without the flash attach.
Next try use either manual or aperture priority, set aperture to the highest like f2.8
depending on your lens highest f stop.

Take a photo and check if the photo turns out dark, you might want to adjust the shutter speed.
How? Since you have taken a photo using p mode check the shutter speed in p mode and
adjust lower.

Like say the photo taken in p mode is 125 secs, you might want to try 100 secs and below.
To me flash doesn't really help in low light shoots for landscape.
For close-by subjects at night, you can use flash.
Hope this helps.

Tripod and camera remote helps to prevent camera shake also.

Thanks for your time and detail explanation... I will try your suggestion.

In any camera on the market nowadays, meter reading has nothing to do with flash.

Do understand that flash and camera have two separate metering system.

Just set higher iso As buffer. With 6D, I guess Iso 12800 is not a problem at all. 1600, 3200, 6400 until u get decent shutter speed in AV flash auto mode.