Canon 6D or Nikon Df

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick76

Nov 27, 2012
Singapore
I am contemplating to upgrade to a FF camera. Reason being that I love the IQ of what high ISO can achieve.

I have a budget of 3.5K and both Canon 6D and Nikon Df falls within the range.

I am a Canon user and have just sold off my camera. Currently, I am left with a Sigma f/1.4 ART DG lens. There should not be a problem for me to switch over to Nikon as I can do the lens conversion to Nikon mount. For me, I normally shoot landscape and portraiture.

Need advice on which will suit my needs better.

Thanks.

If you are shooting landscapes and portraiture, I don't really see how high ISO can give help you much as compared to what you were previous using.

Anyway, back to your question. It can go either ways be it a 6D or DF. It largely depends on the ergonomics that you are comfortable with

In my limited experience, I've 'touched' the DF before and I don't like how I have to look at each button to know what dials change ISO, Shutter speed, EV. And for 6D, after using 5D for a period of time, I hate how it's missing the joystick. But of course, this WILL differ from each individual.

Hmm... For the genre you mentioned, I'd be considering between the Canon 6D and the Nikon D800.

The Df is certainly capable of fulfilling your requirements, but I'd think you would appreciate the higher pixel count and higher dynamic range at base ISO of the Nikon D800.

Between the 2, I'd go for the Nikon D800.

Have you actually gone hands on with either camera? Either one is capable of fulfilling your needs (although, as Skystrike pointed out earlier, why are you so concerned with high ISO performance if you're shooting landscapes and portraits? Heck, an APS-C camera can fill those needs).

The price may be in the same range, but the handling and design 'philosophies' of these bodies are very different. The 6D was launched to compete with the D600 -- they both feature the modern design of buttons and dials. The Df is a throwback to manual focus Nikons like the FE, with more of the direct controls that Nikon seems to favour. You may or may not prefer this.

Lens ranges? Little to choose between them, though if you want to be really picky, Nikon has the king of wide angle zooms in its 14-24/2.8. Exceptional, but that bulbous front element is not everyone's cup of tea.

I will echo everyone's recommendation here and to advise to pick up and hold each camera at a shop and make a decision based on that.

The only common denominator among the two cameras is they are the lightest FF camera in their respective lines. Otherwise, they are very different cameras. IMO anyway.

Thanks for all your advice.

I have tried 6D a few times at Vivocity but I have yet to lay my hands on a Nikon Df.

Thanks for all your advice.

I have tried 6D a few times at Vivocity but I have yet to lay my hands on a Nikon Df.

are you okay with the DF not being able to take video?
if your fine with it then okay but if u want the most bang for your buck
i would say canon 6d or nikon D610 for the cheaper price then go buy a Good glass with the remains.

u like landscape so think about getting a good UWA like the canon 16-35 or the nikon 14-24. If u want smaller size lens then get the 20mm f2.8, might not be Ultra wide but its still pretty wide for the size and weight.

I dun take video with camera.

Previously, I am using a Canon 100D. I really enjoy the light weight especially when going abroad.

Hmm... For the genre you mentioned, I'd be considering between the Canon 6D and the Nikon D800.

The Df is certainly capable of fulfilling your requirements, but I'd think you would appreciate the higher pixel count and higher dynamic range at base ISO of the Nikon D800.

Between the 2, I'd go for the Nikon D800.

Hi Blur Shadow,

I think D800 with kit lens is over my budget.

I dun take video with camera.

Previously, I am using a Canon 100D. I really enjoy the light weight especially when going abroad.

hmm let me list down the requirements for u
Budget 3k SGD
Light Weight
Landscape & Travel
No need video
High ISO capability

May i suggest Sony A7? its a FF so the iso capability isn't that bad. Its Light weight, Under 3k SGD.

hmm let me list down the requirements for u
Budget 3k SGD
Light Weight
Landscape & Travel
No need video
High ISO capability

May i suggest Sony A7? its a FF so the iso capability isn't that bad. Its Light weight, Under 3k SGD.

I dun quite like Sony. I think lens choice are rather limited.

Thank you for your recommendation anyway.

I am contemplating to upgrade to a FF camera. Reason being that I love the IQ of what high ISO can achieve.

I have a budget of 3.5K and both Canon 6D and Nikon Df falls within the range.

I am a Canon user and have just sold off my camera. Currently, I am left with a Sigma f/1.4 ART DG lens. There should not be a problem for me to switch over to Nikon as I can do the lens conversion to Nikon mount. For me, I normally shoot landscape and portraiture.

Need advice on which will suit my needs better.

Thanks.

May I know why you sell off your Canon? This is an important question, because it will determine which camera you should get. The 6D being a Canon is going to handle like a Canon, and if you sell your previous Canon away because you don't like the handling, ergonomic, etc of Canon, you would not like the 6D.

Hi Blur Shadow,

I think D800 with kit lens is over my budget.

The D800 kit isn't sold in Singapore, I believe.

Besides, why would you want a kit lens for your proposed genre?

In any case, I'd pick the Df over the Canon then, given the Df's superior (IMO) sensor.

May I know why you sell off your Canon? This is an important question, because it will determine which camera you should get. The 6D being a Canon is going to handle like a Canon, and if you sell your previous Canon away because you don't like the handling, ergonomic, etc of Canon, you would not like the 6D.

I prefer something which handle high ISO better.

The D800 kit isn't sold in Singapore, I believe.

Besides, why would you want a kit lens for your proposed genre?

In any case, I'd pick the Df over the Canon then, given the Df's superior (IMO) sensor.

Hi Blur Shadow,

I picked up the following from one of the review..

"One real shame (although perhaps not a surprise) is the fact that the Df's focusing screen is fixed. We had hoped for an accessory split-prism focusing screen for manual focus..."

What does this really mean?

Hi Blur Shadow,

I picked up the following from one of the review..

"One real shame (although perhaps not a surprise) is the fact that the Df's focusing screen is fixed. We had hoped for an accessory split-prism focusing screen for manual focus..."

What does this really mean?

Hey there! I'm on my iPhone, so it really isn't too convenient for me to type the explanation all out.

Thankfully, there are some really useful resources online that can do a better job than I can at explaining.

Here is what a focusing screen does:
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_FocusingScreens_QuickGuide.pdf

Here is a manual on how to change a focusing screen to provide you an idea of where the focusing screen is located:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install4.pdf

And here is a link to a video of what a split prism focusing screen can do:
http://petapixel.com/2013/01/02/a-demo-of-split-screen-and-microprism-ring-focusing-in-old-slrs

So apparently, Nikon does not allow the focusing screen to be changed in the Nikon Df.

My concern with Nikon Df is on the layout of the dials and buttons. It seems not so user friendly.

To side track a bit, if FF is not one of my criteria, another of my pick will be Pentax K3. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.