Canon 5Dmk2 or Fuji x100 for Tokyo trip?

Which to choose

Results are only viewable after voting.

zzyzx

Aug 25, 2007
Hi Guy i am going to Tokyo for holiday next month for my very first time and can't decide to lug along my 5Dmk2 with 16-35mm or just bring the Fuji x100 at 35mm (fixed). Before i decide to bring both camera which most likely will break my neck, perhaps you guys can help me make a better decision.

As this is my first trip there, i do not know what to expect to shoot so i feel the 5Dmk2 + 16-35mmL combo may work better, however the Fuji 35mm does effectively ease my neck from strain.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guy i am going to Tokyo for holiday next month for my very first time and can't decide to lug along my 5Dmk2 with 16-35mm or just bring the Fuji x100 at 35mm (fixed). Before i decide to bring both camera which most likely will break my neck, perhaps you guys can help me make a better decision.

As this is my first trip there, i do not know what to expect to shoot so i feel the 5Dmk2 + 16-35mmL combo may work better, however the Fuji 35mm does effectively ease my neck from strain.

Thanks in advance!

Bring both.

On the first day, try the 5D, During the day, you'll wish you had brought the X100 out instead.

Second day onwards, you'll be using just the X100.

Traveling is tiring enough, don't make it more tiring.

Thanks in advance!

If you travel light, you will like to travel :)

X100 with extra battery is the way to go :)

if the trip is only to make picture I would take the canon, but if it's a casual trip during with you would like to make some picture too, the fuji should be enough.
having both can be an option (if is a day you have plenty pictures in mind bring the canon, if another day is more about a casual stroll bring the fuji).
and yes, multiple battery and memory card should avoid missing a good picture, there are also a number of vendor there, just in case.
have a good trip!

Head getting bigger after seeing the replies does not tally with the poll result. LOL.

I would bring along a NEX 5N with the kit lens for casual travel. ;)

In other words, "none of the 2 choices".

The 5D is a bit too heavy unless you enjoy the weight, and the X100 can be fun, but I frequently found myself using wider angles when I was in Tokyo.

I would bring along a NEX 5N with the kit lens for casual travel. ;)

In other words, "none of the 2 choices".

The 5D is a bit too heavy unless you enjoy the weight, and the X100 can be fun, but I frequently found myself using wider angles when I was in Tokyo.

You are trying to make TS head bigger :bsmilie:

i would opt for fuji. you can have the best gear but if you find it a chore to bring out or use it then no point. the downside is u lose the ultra wide focal length and flexibility of zoom(not alot though).

personally for landscape i may use pano and stitch to overcome 1st problem. erm i am used to primes so 2nd problem is not an issue.

Torn between the two camps. Arughhhh!!!!!

What are you trying to capture? Streets? landscapes? casual photos? I literally brought my whole gear to tokyo because i was shooting a gig in japan. But that was only 1 day, i had 7 days more to spend there and lugging my D3 with a 14-24mm almost everyday in the streets with a RS-7 strap, a backpack containing a 70-200mm and 50mm. i can almost walk 4-5 hours without needing to stop. P.S I have a small build ;)

I guess it all depends on your determination. If you're lazy and hate carrying all the weight around then the x100 will be best for you. my vote still goes to the 5D, simply because i have more control on the settings and auto focus ain't a b!tch. my 2 cents

Cheers

I just find it a waste that you spent quite a sum on a good camera like 5DII and then when its needed to get the best of shots in a tour, opt for a X100.

Personally, if I need the versatility, I'd bring the 5DII with 16-35.
If I'm sure I'm only going to do simple walkabouts and mainly streets with no chance landscapes or wide view. I might just bring a X100.
I do prefer the versatility of my G3 with 14/20/45 for exactly the issue of encumbrance for less important trips.

The advice to bring both is good too. Just leave the one you don't like in the hotel room. ;)

Hmm ill bring both. The weight is still ok for me. Unless you are bringing >3 lenses.

For me it will be just the X100 as I walk around and explore the streets.

bring both.... if u bring only one .... u sure will regret why never bring the other one

My first trip to japan I brought my D300 with a whole bag full of lenses only to find myself changing lenses constantly trying to catch the moment. The moment has since gone by. The second trip I brought my GF1 with a whole bag full of lenses, again the same problem but much lighter than the D300. On my third trip I brought my X100, but wished i had a zoom of sorts for more flexible framing although I had great picture quality. In my last trip I brought a Olympus XZ-1 and found it to be an ideal travel companion. Works great in low light and have excellent colors. If I were you, I would bring both cameras. The canon for the serious photography bits and the X100 for more city street shots and when you prefer a lighter day leaving the 5D in the hotel. Will post up the photos when I have the time.

Bring both. Canon for u to shoot. Fuji for others to shoot u. Not every one can handle a dslr.

Bring both. Canon for u to shoot. Fuji for others to shoot u. Not every one can handle a dslr.

This is the best idea :thumbsup:

This way other people can see the photographer in action.

Another photographer using Fuji X100 to take picture of the TS while he is using his CANON to take pictures :)

I say bring both too! Using the 5Dii as the main gun cos the 16-35 is a more versatile lens than the X100. X100 for the discreetness too. :)

Hi there

I am going there too during first to second wk april.

My suggestion is to bring both too if i have both.

I don't have X100 (though I wish to very much), so am bringing just 5D II with 24-70mm and also iphone 4 to take shots.

Having a 3 years old kid with me, so cannot have too heavy gears. still wondering to bring 70-200 f4L.