Canon 5D shutter piece came off - need advice urgently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayne

Jun 5, 2006
hi there,

lent my camera to some colleagues for their shoot yesterday and today, they told me the camera is not working anymore.

when i removed the lens, the shutter's glass piece at the bottom came off. asked if they dropped the camera, they said no. just don't know what happened to it. so now, i consider my camera body damaged.

the glass piece is not broken. it is just loose. and i have no idea how they handled the inner mechanics of the camera because i wasn't around during their shoot.

now, my camera and lens are insured. this is the first time this has happened to my camera and i am rather shocked because it is barely a year old and was in perfect working condition when they began using it last night (i was around to help test the set up).

and i have no idea what the next step should be.

apparently my insurance claim is only 80%.
i am new to this company i am working at.
i do not wish to piss any of my colleagues off.
i didn't mail in my warranty card.
this is my only dslr camera.
my 20yo colleague is volunteering to pay for the damage.
but he is just 20 and is too broke and probably didn't know how to operate a camera with proper care (the way he assured me he would).

i believe the camera wasn't handled properly even though i was assured they never once dropped the camera. at the same time, i just want my body replaced/repaired without having to fork a single cent out of my own pocket. yet it seems very unreasonable of me to 'demand' compensation because i was the one who lent them the camera in the first place. i took the risk.

so i am really stuck. and confused. those with similar experience, please give me some advice. i still have all my purchase receipts.

ps: moderators can move my thread or lock it because i posted the same thing under the canon forum. just trying to improve traffic because my 1 year insurance for this camera is due in 4 weeks. just anxious to gather the right advice.

Shouldn't the shop who sold you the camera have sent the warranty card for you? When I got my camera I think that's what they did. Anyway, do you have any proof of your date of purchase? I think perhaps you should just go down to the service centre and see if you can convince them that the camera is still under warranty and assure them that the damage is not due to negligence.

got to check the terms of compensation in your insurance.

if your colleague really damaged the camera, let your colleague pay the dues. you can pay for the repair first and allow your colleague to pay you in installments. you can ask your colleague nicely without being angry. it's about responsibility.

hi cantaresg,

i still have my warranty card with me. i am sure they didn't send it.
i have proof of my date of purchase. will try going to service center this saturday.

hi eikin,

there is no way to proof or determine who exactly is responsible for the damage because 3 were involved in the shoot.

Don't despire. Doubt your friend have anything to do with it.

This same thing happened to my friend's new 5D as well. The mirror just came off while he was shooting.

Just bring it to Canon service centre. They should replace it free on charge.

what lens he mounted on ?

I'm sorry to heard that my friend.

If the shutter count spoil, it cost about 40+ (base on my 350D service charges last month)

Hope it cover by the warranty

Brother, Service centre didn't open on weekend.

Only Monday to Friday !!

Customer Service Centre
1 HarbourFront Ave
#04-01 Keppel Bay Tower
Singapore 098632
Operating hours:
Mondays to Fridays, 8.30 am to 5.30pm (except public holidays) - Tel: 6799 8888
Open till 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays - Tel: 6796 3199

hi cantaresg,

i have proof of my date of purchase. will try going to service center this saturday.

hi eikin,

there is no way to proof or determine who exactly is responsible for the damage because 3 were involved in the shoot.

hi eikin,

yes it's hard to determine, i'm suggesting that you can ask nicely what really happened, since you suspected mishandling. just need to take it with an open heart, no need to worry about pissing off people if everyone's honest about things. otherwise you can only see how the service centre can help. also, always good to check your insurance's terms again (circumstances eligible for claim)

Hi Yayne,

Can understand how do you feel.You are such a nice person. But no worry.It might due to the swing mirror only. No big deal. Just Handle it carefully and DONT DROP it mirror out.

No worry about the Canon Service, I believe they are quite nice. Wont ask you much on the receipt, just any thing with date of purchase is good enough. The warranty card actually has your purchase date.

If the mirror is loosen, they might give you free of charge..

Good luck my friend..

Jus went to the service center this morn... ppl there r quite nice... dun worry too much... jus sent in and see how they say...

hi there,

lent my camera to some colleagues for their shoot yesterday and today, they told me the camera is not working anymore.

when i removed the lens, the shutter's glass piece at the bottom came off. asked if they dropped the camera, they said no. just don't know what happened to it. so now, i consider my camera body damaged.

the glass piece is not broken. it is just loose. and i have no idea how they handled the inner mechanics of the camera because i wasn't around during their shoot.

now, my camera and lens are insured. this is the first time this has happened to my camera and i am rather shocked because it is barely a year old and was in perfect working condition when they began using it last night (i was around to help test the set up).

and i have no idea what the next step should be.

apparently my insurance claim is only 80%.
i am new to this company i am working at.
i do not wish to piss any of my colleagues off.
i didn't mail in my warranty card.
this is my only dslr camera.
my 20yo colleague is volunteering to pay for the damage.
but he is just 20 and is too broke and probably didn't know how to operate a camera with proper care (the way he assured me he would).

i believe the camera wasn't handled properly even though i was assured they never once dropped the camera. at the same time, i just want my body replaced/repaired without having to fork a single cent out of my own pocket. yet it seems very unreasonable of me to 'demand' compensation because i was the one who lent them the camera in the first place. i took the risk.

so i am really stuck. and confused. those with similar experience, please give me some advice. i still have all my purchase receipts.

ps: moderators can move my thread or lock it because i posted the same thing under the canon forum. just trying to improve traffic because my 1 year insurance for this camera is due in 4 weeks. just anxious to gather the right advice.

hi cantaresg,

hi eikin,

just sent it to Canon for a warranty claim.

Lesson learned.

Be weary who you lend your camera to.

mirror comes off seems to be common problem among the newer dslr.

some of my friends had the same problem but their's were not due to mis-handling as in using ef-s mount lens or drop or bang against hard surfaces.

just check the exterial of your camera for sign of seriouse deep scratches or dent if you suspect they had drop or bang your camera. but event if the happens, unless it is very hard knock, I doubt the mirror will comes off, though the camera is going to hospital for sure in this case. if it does comes off, it is due to manufacturing problem.

if is ef-s lens that causes it, just look at the mirror for chipped or crack, check the mirror frame for scratches.

my guess is due to manufacturing problem and since yours is new (i assume under warrenty), just send it to canon service centre lor.

Not sure about how the other models ie.. 30D etc has the mirror mounted on the mirror mechanism.. but for the 5D it's just secure with 4 to 5 tag of glue..

I have seen this happened.. to be honest no big deal.. bring it to CSS.. tell them to fixed it.. ask them to check for scratches on the mirror first.. your cam will be ready in 45mins (do not let them talk you into leaving it there.. why ? because the repair is damn straight forward).. next check your focusing screen made sure it is not scratch by the mirror when it came loose...

Once everything is settle and you get your cam back.. go and treat your friends to some nice coffee, so that they know it's not their fault.. I assure you it is not their fault.. do not believe as the Technician at CCS (those guys inside the "fish tank"), they will tell U all sort of err.. and ah... but finally repair it for you for free.. :thumbsup:

Note: if your friends drop it .. is there any scratches or dent on the body.. I believe there is no such marking..

Cheer up.. really not a big deal.. but remember to check the focusing screen.. if it is scratched .. then it up to how you deal with the CCS chaps.. new screen cost $60...

PS.. while U are there ask them to clean the sensor too.. as the sensor will DEFINTELY be dirty during the repair.. and yes they will ask you to pay.. DO NOT agree.. as the sensor is dirty because the service the mirror that SHOULD NOT have come loose in the first place..:sticktong

Good Luck.. ;)

wow, lowlights! you have brilliant knowledge of how the css operate! so great to have a contributor like you! i know who to look for when my canon s3 breaks down!

hi all,

thanks for the advice. i'm bringing the camera to the service center this morning, will come back with more questions for sure.

lowlights, when i do utilise the sensor cleaning function on the camera, the shutter seems to snap open and never seems to close (pardon my layman's expression). have i been doing it wrongly? shutter seems to stay open for hours. the battery outruns and i am forced to switch the camera off.

i can't find the warranty card, the store probably mailed it when i made the purchase. anyhow will bring my purchase receipt to the center after calling them.

love_sky, what do you mean by "shutter count spoil?"
are there limited shutter counts for every dslr camera?

hi all,

thanks for the advice. i'm bringing the camera to the service center this morning, will come back with more questions for sure.

lowlights, when i do utilise the sensor cleaning function on the camera, the shutter seems to snap open and never seems to close (pardon my layman's expression). have i been doing it wrongly? shutter seems to stay open for hours. the battery outruns and i am forced to switch the camera off.

i can't find the warranty card, the store probably mailed it when i made the purchase. anyhow will bring my purchase receipt to the center after calling them.

love_sky, what do you mean by "shutter count spoil?"
are there limited shutter counts for every dslr camera?

You have to turn off the camera so that the shutter will close automatically. That is the way.

I think what love_sky mean is the mirror might be stuck in the shutter and damage it.

Your case may or may not be due to mis-handling.

Heard of a fellow 1DMK2 shutter came off by itself during continuous shooting just recently only.

Back from the service center, it'll take them 5 days to fix it.

thanks mtulinn for that tip on the sensor cleaning.

lowlights, you were right, they wanted to charge 20 bucks for the sensor cleaning. sited your reason and they finally agreed it should be part of the service. the technicians said the mirror isn't scratched so i'm taking their word for it. it looked fine to me. appreciate your advice. i'll give it an over all check again when i pop by next week. :)

i asked for a shutter count anyway. is it limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.