Canon 5d Mk3 or 2 lenses

SK8WONG

Feb 1, 2012
Hoping i could get some suggestions. Im deciding whether to upgrade my 7d to a 5d Mk3. But im also thinking for a little extra cash instead of the 5d i could get a 70-200L and 16-35L. I only have one lens at the moment for my 7d and its a 24-70L.

Thanks

Anything you find lacking on your current setup?

Both setup you mentioned are VERY different....Depending on what you want, it could go either ways.

Hi, my 7d and the 24-70l isn't wide enough. I like landscapes and was thinking the 5d would be wider cos it's full frame. But then if I bought a 16-35 on my 7d would that be wide enough for landscape?? Sorry I'm just learning and want to spend my cash on the right equipment!

imo...if you want it wide, you can consider a UWA lens (e.g. EF-S 10-22) instead of changing camera body. But 10-22 is a Crop body only lens, so this may be an issue when you want to go FF. 16-35 on 7D isn't very wide to me (but will be a different beast on a FF)....Almost similar to my 17-50 in terms of FOV.

Out of curiosity, why did you go for a 7D + 24-70 setup in the first place?

Cool, I kinda figured it wouldn't be wide enough that's why I was thinking full frame!! But I also want a 70-200 to take photos of rugby from the sidelines. I got the 7d cos the guy at the shop said its good enough for a beginner. And now I'm starting to realize how important The lenses are and didnt know about crop body and full frame. I got the kit with 18-135 but I kinda broke that lens. Hmmm so do u think I should get the 2 lenses instead of upgrading the body?

If I were in your shoes, I would spend the money on the lens instead....70-200 on crop will look beautiful for sports (you will get "extra" 1.6x zoom compared to FF)... But not so, for the 16-35. I will still recommend a "real" UWA on crop.

Why do you want to upgrade to FF?

Why do you want the two lenses?

If you can't decide, just keep the cash in the bank and put it towards retirement fund. In 20 years cameras and lenses will be much cheaper and you can spend your retired life shooting with a much cheaper camera. :bsmilie:

lenses outlast bodies.

don't listen to anyone here asking you to rationalize, got money want to buy 70 200 and 16 35? just buy.

your lampa song can liao.

Last edited:
SK8WONG said:
I got the 7d cos the guy at the shop said its good enough for a beginner.

You should have just gotten a 18-135 kit lens instead.

seems like he broke that lens that it came the body....

Nah, seems like he was psycho-ed by a salesperson into overspending.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Skystrike I think I will just do that!! Thanks mate

I'd go for lens, till the body die, then upgrade body.
alternatively, spend all on TOTO and 4D. One strike can buy all. No need headache.

Go get 5d mk3 and use your current lens. Save for the 70-200. Enjoy your hard earned money to what you see fit. All that matters is you and what you really wanted.

All that matters is you and what you really wanted.
What matters is what he needs .. Following wants will only empty the pocket. But since TS can't really point out the needs and is still in his early days with the cam best to get the kit lens. There is a reason why it comes with the cam kit.

5dmk3 with just a 24-70 vs 7d with 3L lenses. The latter gives you more flexibilty.

I wanted to suggest trading your 7d for a used 5dmk2, but since you shoot sports, that would not work out. In ur shoes, i will go for the lenses first. Future, i can upgrade to 5dmk3 or get a used 5dmk2 as a 2nd body.

Hoping i could get some suggestions. Im deciding whether to upgrade my 7d to a 5d Mk3. But im also thinking for a little extra cash instead of the 5d i could get a 70-200L and 16-35L. I only have one lens at the moment for my 7d and its a 24-70L.

Thanks

I say go for lenses, the 2 you mentioned can last you for life as long as EOS bodies keep churning out.

This is absurd.. after reading your first post. The only recommendation i can say is stick to what you have. And keep those few thousand dollars in your bank.

This is absurd.. after reading your first post. The only recommendation i can say is stick to what you have. And keep those few thousand dollars in your bank.

sorry but have to agree with milktea on this

this sort of situation usually leads to buyer's regret later no matter what decision you make and just feeds the 2nd hand market (which is good )

keep your money until you REALLY know what you want to do and where you want to go in photography

otherwise have your cake and eat it too and get a 2nd hand 1Ds Mk I or Mk II ... or a 5D Mk I or Mk II ..... you should still have spare cash in hand going down that road ... and if you regret it later, you can still sell it off for a very small loss (consider it 'rent')

OR go rent a FF camera for the weekend to test-drive

Last edited: