Canon 5D Mark XX 150-megapixel images

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Canon’s new 120-megapixel CMOS sensor

Canon successfully develops world's first APS-H-size CMOS image sensor to realize record-high resolution of 120 megapixels

TOKYO, August 24, 2010-Canon Inc. announced today that it has successfully developed an APS-H-size*1 CMOS image sensor that delivers an image resolution of approximately 120 megapixels (13,280 x 9,184 pixels), the world's highest level*2 of resolution for its size.

Compared with Canon's highest-resolution commercial CMOS sensor of the same size, comprising approximately 16.1 million pixels, the newly developed sensor features a pixel count that, at approximately 120 million pixels, is nearly 7.5 times larger and offers a 2.4-fold improvement in resolution.*3

With CMOS sensors, while high-speed readout for high pixel counts is achieved through parallel processing, an increase in parallel-processing signal counts can result in such problems as signal delays and minor deviations in timing. By modifying the method employed to control the readout circuit timing, Canon successfully achieved the high-speed readout of sensor signals. As a result, the new CMOS sensor makes possible a maximum output speed of approximately 9.5 frames per second, supporting the continuous shooting of ultra-high-resolution images.

Canon's newly developed CMOS sensor also incorporates a Full HD (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) video output capability. The sensor can output Full HD video from any approximately one-sixtieth-sized section of its total surface area.

Images captured with Canon's newly developed approximately 120-megapixel CMOS image sensor, even when cropped or digitally magnified, maintain higher levels of definition and clarity than ever before. Additionally, the sensor enables image confirmation across a wide image area, with Full HD video viewing of a select portion of the overall frame.

Through the further development of CMOS image sensors, Canon will break new ground in the world of image expression, targeting new still images that largely surpass those made possible with film, and video movies that capitalize on the unique merits of SLR cameras, namely their high mobility and the expressive power offered through interchangeable lenses.

Based on the above, in the not too far future, it is possible for 5D or 1Ds to have something like 150megapixels images.:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

Computer have to be very powerful also, and hard disk transfer rates must go up 10x lol

by the way, is it for making images to print on expressways or something? 150 megapixels...crazy

Last edited:
Time to get some tera bytes harddisks. :bsmilie:
one day, one day, there may be Terabytes SD cards :dunno:

Computer have to be very powerful also, and hard disk transfer rates must go up 10x lol

by the way, is it for making images to print on expressways or something? 150 megapixels...crazy

maybe it would be useful for those people who love to crop, crop, crop their images :bsmilie:

Anything can happen... I remember the time when camera are only 3 to 4MP and mobilephone is pure phone that are small enough to be carried around easily...

The main thing is... why do we need 120MP pics? The space needed to store them and how much details do we actually want (to count the number of pimples or hair on the person).

maybe it would be useful for those people who love to crop, crop, crop their images :bsmilie:

Yay for UWA lenses, can go birding also!!! :bsmilie:

mount it on a telescope perhaps?

yes, possible.

everytime you take a shot, the camera takes 5 seconds to write the image to the card. :)

If just 5 seconds, I don't mind. Is just the hardware/software requirement to process such large file is what I would mind.

really, if you use the camera to take anything other than landscapes you will cry...

If it take anything more than 1 sec, I will throw it into the dustbin. That is why I don't like small PnS's slow, slow, flash recycling... and I don't care if the pic quality is claim to be extremely sharp or what or with 120MP or even 1K MP. Slow to me means dustbin.

Hmm how big will a 120 MP RAW (uncompressed) file at ISO 102,400 (Hi3 on a D3s) be?

M e m o r i e s ....

In October 1990, at the Photokina trade show, Kodak showed the world's first professional digital camera, the US$30,000 (Sg$50,000), 1.3 megapixel Kodak DCS :dunno:

In 1998, I bought this "high end Digital camera", 1.3megapixel for around Sg$2,000.

mx700-frontl.jpg

The giant "SD" card is a massive 8MB :sweat: Each file is about 80Kb :rolleyes:

In 2010, my SONY cam phone is 12.1 megapixel!

In 2020, my Canon 5D Mk X cam/video may be a 120megapixel toy!

Last edited:
What lens will be needed to resolve this details hungry beast.....:sweat:..:sweat:

to own this camera, u need to have a driving license..... you need to own a house, not a hdb.. unless you widen the hdb door...

pls go to the gym and start training from tomorrow onwards...

Its like carrying your wealth around too also to mention... I think the digital world is moving too fast and currently I will be contented with a 5Dmk3 in the future should I have cash left after my wedding banquet in Oct 2010 :)

The funny thing about the digital world is that everything is based on the binary concept of infinity ... the concept of "the black hole" :dunno:

In the early '80's, I invested in a computer (the IBM-wannabe, which cost me $15K at that time,) and a printer for my business. The files then was mostly in double-digit Kb, so it was a heart-stopping moment when a decade later, we (like what the young members' age now) were astounded that there was a 1.3megapixel machine in the market for such an "affordable" price. A more successful friend did buy one of these toys and we were bewildered by the "high quality" image of 900K!
Many of us were skeptical that it was impossible and crazy to have 5Mb images, and who will actually need all these?:dunno:
But 10 years later, the 10Mb images were becoming the norm.

My story is that, for all you young members, you are a rather fortunate generation to experience things that the older generations can only dream. Embrace them, challenge them, improvise, renew, experiement, enjoy and appreciate the digital world. There is no turning back. The 100Mb images are a reality. Consumers and market forces will shape the speed of technological advancements, Memory cards, chip speeds, internet speeds, etc... will naturally improve to accept these changes.

Life is just a number game. I am happy for all the young photographers of the world! I am happy for you.

As a result, the new CMOS sensor makes possible a maximum output speed of approximately 9.5 frames per second, supporting the continuous shooting of ultra-high-resolution images.

yes, possible.

everytime you take a shot, the camera takes 5 seconds to write the image to the card. :)

Doesn't matter.. as long as it can takes pictures at 9.5 frames per second..

As long as I can continue shooting.. it doesn't bother me how many minutes it takes to write to the card.. :) Provided the battery doesn't run flat before it does! :devil:

When the sensor records such high res images.. can the lens perform to produce a picture that really match the resolution?

Doesn't matter.. as long as it can takes pictures at 9.5 frames per second..

As long as I can continue shooting.. it doesn't bother me how many minutes it takes to write to the card.. :) Provided the battery doesn't run flat before it does! :devil:

You shoot a sports event, can wait till 1 week later for the buffering to complete ;)