Canon 5D Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkhunter

Oct 6, 2008
I'm considering this camera instead of my Nikon D700. Love the video feature.

But my question is about the lenses. I am not very familiar with Canon lenses. Does Canon have comparable lenses to Nikkors? I especially love the 105mm macro lens from Nikon (for its amazing DoF blurring), and the 50mm 1.4, etc.

1. You should ask in the Canon forum.
2. You should try doing some research on your own, like on photozone.de
3. Almost all macro lenses have amazing DOF blurring.

canon lenses are better

but the nikon 700 is really sharp right out of the cam, cuz of the in-cam sharpening.

i dont use my video function at all but i guess its nice to have.

canon lenses are better

but the nikon 700 is really sharp right out of the cam, cuz of the in-cam sharpening.

i dont use my video function at all but i guess its nice to have.

1. That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Nikon is well-known for it's excellent lenses.

2. That only applies to JPEG. RAW is another matter, but still sharper as Nikon doesn't degrade sharpness for noise reduction.

canon has wonderful primes and macro lens.

100mm F2.8 macro.

85mm F1.2L

50mm F1.2L

the 2 Ls above Nikon has no answer to. perhaps only the Nikkor 85mm F1.4, which is still not F1.2.

I'm using nikon now as well after moving over from canon, and what i experience is that canon seems to have better "high end" lens for primes and telephoto lens, while nikon kicks canon's a** with regards to wide angle.

canon has wonderful primes and macro lens.

100mm F2.8 macro.

85mm F1.2L

50mm F1.2L

the 2 Ls above Nikon has no answer to. perhaps only the Nikkor 85mm F1.4, which is still not F1.2.

I'm using nikon now as well after moving over from canon, and what i experience is that canon seems to have better "high end" lens for primes and telephoto lens, while nikon kicks canon's a** with regards to wide angle.

And considering how shallow the DOF is at 1.2 and that the lens isn't sharp at 1.2, you'd need to stop it down anyway. :p

so out of all the lenses, that's the 3 you pick out? When the nikon 24-70 stomps all over the Canon L version? And the lack of decent wide-angle lenses from canon?

As for the macro, all camps have a good 100/105mm macro. Not sure where your "no answer" argument comes in.

I am both a Canon and Nikon user.

In short, they have equivalent offerings.

As suggested u might want to do some background reading up.

Ryan

Do you shoot with flash a lot? Nikon's flash system behaves slightly different from Canon. Do read up on the entire Canon system and compare it to Nikon.

Do you have a lot of lenses that you would need to replace?

in honesty, canon has more affordable offerings.

i believe that if you go nikon, most people will be forced to go take up the 24-70mm f2.8 and the long range lens 70-200 f2.8 VR. i think the same thing for nikon wide angle - f2.8

for canon, there is a cheaper option of buying the f4 trinity lens - 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 (w/IS) which delivers 'pro' quality (definition of their L lens range).

that is the major complaint on nikon - lack of a cheaper fixed f-stop variable focal length lens.

if you buy D700, i think u would expect to pay in the 6.5-7k range for a nice kit ie w/24-70 f2.8. canon u can probably get away with around 5k or less w/ 24-105 f4. this price difference can be a major consideration for people moving up from a crop set-up with EF-S or DX lenses.

but ofc if your poison are primes, then there is almost no diff in offering.

however, if you already have a stable of nikon primes, i dont think there is a point switching to the 5D2. i bet nikon will throw their own HD video FF into the fray soon. in any case, the D700 is also a very good body and better AF system than 5D2.

And considering how shallow the DOF is at 1.2 and that the lens isn't sharp at 1.2, you'd need to stop it down anyway. :p

that is rubbish... the aperture and DoF is a function of distance and f1.2 is very very very usable and SHARP on both the 50mm f1.2L and 85mm f1.2L. a lot of photographers shoot wide open at f1.2 depending on the distance to subject.

this image was shot wide open at f1.2 - focal point at the 'AR'. there is a flickr group for the canon 50mm shot only wide open at f1.2 and you'd be amazed.

Last edited:
in honesty, canon has more affordable offerings.

i believe that if you go nikon, most people will be forced to go take up the 24-70mm f2.8 and the long range lens 70-200 f2.8 VR. i think the same thing for nikon wide angle - f2.8

for canon, there is a cheaper option of buying the f4 trinity lens - 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 (w/IS) which delivers 'pro' quality (definition of their L lens range).

that is the major complaint on nikon - lack of a cheaper fixed f-stop variable focal length lens.

if you buy D700, i think u would expect to pay in the 6.5-7k range for a nice kit ie w/24-70 f2.8. canon u can probably get away with around 5k or less w/ 24-105 f4. this price difference can be a major consideration for people moving up from a crop set-up with EF-S or DX lenses.

but ofc if your poison are primes, then there is almost no diff in offering.

however, if you already have a stable of nikon primes, i dont think there is a point switching to the 5D2. i bet nikon will throw their own HD video FF into the fray soon. in any case, the D700 is also a very good body and better AF system than 5D2.

I think the TS already has a D700.

"I'm considering this camera instead of my Nikon D700. Love the video feature. "

that is rubbish... the aperture and DoF is a function of distance and f1.2 is very very very usable and SHARP on both the 50mm f1.2L and 85mm f1.2L. a lot of photographers shoot wide open at f1.2 depending on the distance to subject.

LOL. Aperture is not a function of distance.

I am amazed. Amazed that a lens in this price class has such pronounced vignetting. You still need to stop it down. :)

I have used both the cameras (D700 + 5D MKII). Lenses are no doubt more affordable (f/4) in Canon's camp. But you should ask this question to yourself that which lenses would you like to shoot with? More lenses in Canon should not mean that you have to jump the ship. Nikon's f/2.8 lenses are infact excellent piece of glass, if you can afford it. On the other hand, D700 is a much better camera than 5D MKII. Read up on the internet about the differences between the two.

At the end, it all depends on what makes you happy. I do not like the feel of a 5D, and spent more $$ on buying a Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens, and couldn't be happier.

Just remember, you will get what you pay$$$$.

LOL. Aperture is not a function of distance.

I am amazed. Amazed that a lens in this price class has such pronounced vignetting. You still need to stop it down. :)

it is a function of distance. if you are too close up, your DoF is too minute. if you enable a further distance, your DoF can enable a complete face or upper body in full focus, with the necessary bokeh on everything else.

someone else has put it more succinctly than i can,
Distance to the subject is more important than aperture. 1.2 is insane at two feet. Maybe a couple of millimeters. But by the time you back up far enough to do a head and shoulders shot your DOF is several inches.

the vignette is applied post processing, no other effects added. no way i can get such heavy vignetting, unless i use my sigma 30mm f1.4 DC on a full frame.

anyway, i talk also no use, just see for yourself - http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_50mm_f1-2/pool/. these are all taken at f1.2 only.

Last edited:
it is a function of distance.

No, aperture is NOT a function of distance. DOF is affected by aperture and distance. Aperture itself isn't.

the vignette is applied post processing, no other effects added. no way i can get such heavy vignetting, unless i use my sigma 30mm f1.4 DC on a full frame.

I was not referring to your shot. I was referring to the hard numbers in reviews.

Yes D700 have the ability to tune the color, contrast and sharpness of the image it capture. (affect JPEG thou, not RAW if not i am not wrong)

This is built into all cameras, including the one in your cellphone. It's the basics of the JPEG processing engine.

buy 5d mk ii for just video function seems a bit wastefully. Whereas I actually think nikon has amazing series of zoom lenses. So y not wait for D800 or equivalent equipped with video function? Unless u love primes lens then canon might be worth considering...

so out of all the lenses, that's the 3 you pick out? When the nikon 24-70 stomps all over the Canon L version? And the lack of decent wide-angle lenses from canon?

As for the macro, all camps have a good 100/105mm macro. Not sure where your "no answer" argument comes in.

i was answering the TS's questions on primes and macros only, and if you notice, i also did say nikon kick's canon's a** on wide angle lens. So "no answer" refers to the 1.2Ls. Nikon's 1.2 primes come only in the form of the old manual AIS/AI lens.

and the 24-70 lens of both canon and nikon are excellent. I've used the canon version b4 switching to nikon. and if you look at the prices, the excess premium nikon charges for its 24-70 compared to canon, it had better be a good lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.