Canon 5D Mark II or Nikon D700

Which FX body?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
Which one would you go for? I know it's quite hard to compare, Canoners will say 5D and Nikonians will say D700. Imagine if you're neither, and it's your first step to full frame, which would you go for?

Well, I'm a Nikonian myself, but the thing is... I've heard many people switch to Canon for the 5D Mark II, haven't heard any people switching from Canon to the D700.

but the thing is... I've heard many people switch to Canon for the 5D Mark II, haven't heard any people switching from Canon to the D700.

Orh ... this is not true .. i know of friends who switch the other way.

But either way threading on flameable stuffs erh .. what useful info u expect from this poll

Orh ... this is not true .. i know of friends who switch the other way.

But either way threading on flameable stuffs erh .. what useful info u expect from this poll

nope, i'm not expecting anyone to flame. Please provide constructive comments. I need help here.

i'm moving onto FX now. I've sold all my DX lenses. So, I'm not sure if I should switch over to Canon. I've some friends who said the 5D Mk II is really good and are encouraging me to switch - they said I'll get more bang for my buck. Yes, I admit I haven't done much research (which is what I'm doing now).

Just want some opinions from those who have used or tried both? Want to know the pros and cons of each camera.

Whats your underlying reason for the switch? What advantage are u seeking that chooses one over the other. Since u r ( kind of ) starting anew, If FX is ur only requirement , physically handle each of them, and decide which is more ergonomical and intuitive to you. Else, personally u wouldn go too wrong with either

I got a 5d2 mainly because there was a particular lens adapter that i wanted to get and use but only comes in canon flavors.. and it took me a while to deliberate running a second system.

Here are some links from dpreview for review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5dmarkii/page40.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/page32.asp

You can figure the differences between them

Ryan

n..... I've some friends who said the 5D Mk II is really good and are encouraging me to switch - they said I'll get more bang for my buck. .....
more bang for your bucks? like how?

interested to know....

I have similar thoughts also...

sony for built-in IS and its famous mega pix but iso weakness and frame rate

nikon ergonomics and features

canon video capabilities and features

other than those i guess its all minor plus and minus....can take it as almost all the same.
from my research....

nikonian here

I would switch to canon considering D700 only give me half the megapixel of canon. Defeats the purpose of FF cause I have less megapixel if I crop my pictures.

Nikon need to come up with an entry-level FF with at least 21mp and under $4k to really compete in the entry level FF arena. Nikon D3 is way overpriced...

Alternatively I could also go for Sony and port to Zeiss AF zoom lens.

Last edited:
Both are really good cameras.
You can probably rent the 5D MK II out to try, alternatively can visit Canon Showrm at Vivo City.

The more megapixels and the Full HD video recording is an advantage for Canon.
It's also a bit lighter.

While Nikon has the on-camera flash in case you need and the higher frame speed for continous shooting.

If you do not need the 21 MP sensor and the video recording function, then Nikon is a good choice. :)

i'm a nikonian and have always shoot nikon.

i'm also D3 user switch to 5Dm2.

:)

I own both Nikon & Canon system, personally i think both are capable cameras that can produce stunning results! Rather than just focus on which cam body to buy perhaps u may want to broaden your scope of considerations like which company offers you the lenses you would like to own that favors your type of shooting ?? ;)

If I am starting from scratch all over again, I will go for Canon because of the lenses choice......but I am stucked with Nikon Trinities......so for FX....D700 for me :sweat:

You should go with nether. If you're not prepared to make your own decisions and instead rely on a popularity poll, you should wait until you know which camera is right for you.

I am already a Canon user before my 5D Mark II but if I could start again, I'd go for the D700. Its a faster camera in terms of FPS, shutter lag and viewfinder blackout. I hate long blackout times.

Yes, with consideration for the range of FX lenses too.

I like Nikon's ergonomics a lot more than Canon's. And also the build quality. Also love the ISO performance. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with the 95% viewfinder.

Ideally a D3X would be awesome, but that's not within the range of my budget.

:confused:

So get an A900. Essentially the same sensor as the D3X. ;)

Yes, with consideration for the range of FX lenses too.

I like Nikon's ergonomics a lot more than Canon's. And also the build quality. Also love the ISO performance. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with the 95% viewfinder.

Don't you think you already had the answer?

What other opinion that u need to justify your moving to another brand? :dunno:

Between the 2, I would pick the Canon 5Dmkii .
While the D700 wins in AF speed and tracking, the 5D's MP advantage and video capability is too hard to resist.
Furthermore, the noise level of 5D is very very well balanced given its high MP count.

I seriously I doubt I need anything over iso 6400 anyway :)

First thing i would consider before the body is glass.
Sorry, but i'm the kind of guy who favours lens characteristics and such over ISO capabilities or megapixel count.

i views are :

1) if dont need video, d700
2) if need more rugged body, d700
3) if want cheaper creative lighting option, d700
4) if need 17mm tse lens, 5dmkll
5) if need good video, 5dmkll

Status
Not open for further replies.