Canon 550D

jasonjoseph

Nov 10, 2009
Found a review of a Canon 550D, don't know much about the cam.

http://prolost.com/

theres other juicy stuff on there too.

Not a very convincing upgrade from 500D if buyin solely for upgradin video capabilities.. And 18mp on a small sensor, who are they tryin to kid.. Sales gimmick.. Haha

Not a very convincing upgrade from 500D if buyin solely for upgradin video capabilities.. And 18mp on a small sensor, who are they tryin to kid.. Sales gimmick.. Haha

You serious? The manual control of exposure in video mode means we can now get shallow DOF which was almost impossible on the 500D. For video work this is a must-have feature IMO. And now we also can get 50p at 720, 50i at 1080, etc which the 500D couldn't do. What more would you want for video at this price?

Hi, But, the sensor in handycam is much smaller compared with d550

Buang, the sensor is the SAME size in a 550d as your 7d... If you truly know nothing, dun post for the sake of posting

i like the estimated price.
i think it will be great cam for students to get.

bro, if i use old nikon lens with Aperture ring with a EF converter on 500D?

students might as well get the 500D, cheaper, and still 15 mp on the same sensor. the video's great too.

students might as well get the 500D, cheaper, and still 15 mp on the same sensor. the video's great too.

The 500D video is not so good for students, because you cannot control the depth of field. Also the frame rates are limited compared with the 550D, so 550D is not really a good learning tool. For example, 1080 resolution on 500D shoots at 20fps, which is not even a standard format. Better to get the 550D and have a bigger choice of standard frame rates.

The way I see it, as a stills camera, 7D would be superior due to it being a faster camera. But as a video camera, the 550D would be on par with the 7D. The 550D even has a higher resolution screen- 1140K dots compared to 920K.

However, like any HDSLR, it needs alot of support gear to get nice footage, mainly a proper video tripod and some form of stabilizers like a steadicam or a shoulder rig.

For me, dSLRs would be greate alternatives to other more mainstream pro camcorders, but I sure wouldn't wanna fiddle with all the manual focusing and stuffs when I'm going for a holiday. Just a simple HD camcorder, plus a shotgun mic, slap on a CPL, and I'm all ready to go :)

Regards,
gibss.

Am new to Clubsnap!

Just shot a short film on the 550D and entered it in a competition and it's in the running for the grand prize of a 7D!

Help vote and win a camera for yourself too!

Watch it here.

http://www.civiclife.sg/competition-filmdetails-vote.php?id=112

Share with your friends if you like it.

Thanks!

David Gan

You already posted this in the Canon forum. I believe cross posting is not allowed here.

i think students should be using a video camera instead of a dslr. just imo.

I see.. one problem is when 550d in mode IA focus and using external flash, the pictures will be blur in the night or dark room, but conduct with only IA servo. compare when using it own internal flash the pictures will be much2 better…that’s what happened to me. so, at night i only can use IA servo mode with my external flash. i think my external flash does not suitable with my 550d.