Canon 550D vs Pentax K-R

zhehaolau

Aug 12, 2010
Hi guys,

I am considering this two DSLR and the price seems to be close, after considering the "free gifts" canon and MSC will give.

Pentax K-R @ SLRR kit 2: 1060
Canon 550D kit1 @ MSC(w/ crumpler bag, 8GB SD card, tripod, filter, lcd protector) : 1299

My friend just bought his K-R and i tested it, it was pretty good just that night time at starbucks, af not very reliable.
Image quality are they around the same or k-r would be better? I love that the k-r has image stabilisation in built as i am considering getting a Tamron 17-50 non-vc, but i think i would be buying a battery grip but the k-r doesnt have one.
So i am stuck. :dunno:

Thanks for any advice!! ;)

Look here for comparative samples between these 2 models.
The samples for Kr is not out yet, but the one for Kx is there and its close or comparable to the older model.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

The battery grip is a moot point unless you want it for portrait orientation shooting. The function of a battery grip is to provide AA battery option or more Li-on battery power/ more ease to use portrait orientation due to the additional shutter button. For a Kr, it already take either Li-on or AA's.

Take note that the lens used can affect AF performance. A slower lens like the kit lens (f3.5 at widest) allows less light onto the AF sensor compared to a faster lens like a f2.8 lens.

The 550D has more megapix, and does AF in video.
The Kr has better high ISO performance, SR on-body, in camera HDR, level indicator

Both cameras are good. Depends on what you need and value.

do consider lens options as well. canon has more lens options available than pentax. and kx IQ =/= kr IQ.

@pinholecam

Thanks for the advice!
Yea i like to do portrait shooting with bokeh thus really considering getting the battery grip and f2.8.
Don't think i will use the video that much but have to really say the 550d's video quality is damn good.

@litlefiter
Still don't have intention for future lens except for tamron 17-50mm which have both mount but if i choose the canon one, i will probably get the 50 1.8 first.
Pentax doesn't have Nissin flash right? :S

Thanks!

i would go for the pentax. but that's just me.

if you are basing it on af, then canon entry level af capabilities will be limited as well. i haven't used the 550d, but there is no reason why canon, with its highly structured layout would want to cannibalise its own profits by giving consumers a top product at the entry level.

that said, canon 550d is a very decent camera - choice up to you. colors can be tweaked, sharpness will be equal given the right glass. what's important is your thirst to learn how to achieve what you want.

Hi guys,

I am considering this two DSLR and the price seems to be close, after considering the "free gifts" canon and MSC will give.

Canon 550D kit1 @ MSC(w/ crumpler bag, 8GB SD card, tripod, filter, lcd protector) : 1299

hi there, MSC free gifts are the crumpler bag, 8GB SD card, tripod, filter, lcd protector?

they only offer me 8gb and filter:C

not forgetting pentax's SR is on body unlike canon which IS is on lens.. save you lots of money. ;)

My friend just bought his K-R and i tested it, it was pretty good just that night time at starbucks, af not very reliable.
Image quality are they around the same or k-r would be better? I love that the k-r has image stabilisation in built as i am considering getting a Tamron 17-50 non-vc, but i think i would be buying a battery grip but the k-r doesnt have one.

Are you trying to decide on which camera to get based on the freebies and a bit on the third party accessories?

Are you trying to decide on which camera to get based on the freebies and a bit on the third party accessories?

both camera is good, if it comes with bundle with good stuff why not just take it?

Donno if i sounded a little weird or something but i am a student so trying to look for the best deals around yet getting a good body to start with. (;

hi there, MSC free gifts are the crumpler bag, 8GB SD card, tripod, filter, lcd protector?

they only offer me 8gb and filter:C

That's during IT Show period. They will give 8gb, tripod, filter, lcd protector. While canon gives the bag. (;

not forgetting pentax's SR is on body unlike canon which IS is on lens.. save you lots of money. ;)

Yea that is one very important point! Thinking of going to get the tamron 17-50mm non-vc and based on my experiments, i think i really need IS at night.

i would go for the pentax. but that's just me.

if you are basing it on af, then canon entry level af capabilities will be limited as well. i haven't used the 550d, but there is no reason why canon, with its highly structured layout would want to cannibalise its own profits by giving consumers a top product at the entry level.

that said, canon 550d is a very decent camera - choice up to you. colors can be tweaked, sharpness will be equal given the right glass. what's important is your thirst to learn how to achieve what you want.

if you're into IQ i believe KR is the better way to go.

Thanks for the advice bros. I am also considering Nikon D90 if price is good. What do you guys think?

Donno if i sounded a little weird or something but i am a student so trying to look for the best deals around yet getting a good body to start with. (;

The freebies don't cost too much, are low grade and easily outgrown within a few months. Something to think about.

1. Bag - may not be the style you want/need. Few compartments and low in padding. Not the real deal though its branded. You can easily look for one new or get one of buy and sell here.
2. SD card - low speed ones are cheap. $20 or less?
3. Tripod - flimsy stuff $15-$25
4. Filter - $10
5. LCD protector - $10-$15

So no big deal to the freebies. Better to get you own, which will suit you need/want and at better quality.

D90 while a good camera is imo a bit old. Compared to the 2 listed before, it does have a better built body. Get the newer cameras and benefit from the new features and sensor performance.

Last edited:
Alright i will leave D90 out. Yea i felt D90 and the body felt good but i guess it's 2 years old already.

This is the quote i got from MSC last Sep:
Canon EOS 550d kit with 18-55mmis len--------------$1299(inc.gst)
Free 8 g card, Len book ,guide book from agent
free lcd protector worth $13.50 , 3 section tripod worth $35,58mm filterworth $15 from mscolor
Plus Register on line will get a EOS Clumpler bag 5 million home and second
Canon original LB-E6 battery+ 15 month agent warranty
Promotion strictly for 4 days only( 2-5 SEP 10)

And looks like the canon 550d dropped price again to 1199. :O
Really tempting because i am pretty sure i will need to use the battery grip.

Thanks for everyone's advice! I guess i will wait till around 26th Nov before i decide!
But in short, can i say IQ is almost the same for both?

Wonder why are you comparing the price of Pentax Kr kit2 with Canon 550D kit 1? Pentax Kr kit 1 cost only $910.

Hi guys,

My friend just bought his K-R and i tested it, it was pretty good just that nightime at starbucks, af not very reliable.

@cyc1op
Oh yea i forgot i was comparing the KR kit 2 against 550d.
Hahahaha fail!

I guess somehow i feel tt if i am getting the pentax, i will be going for kit 2 because the 50-200 is certainly useful in future when i use 17-50. (;

@cyc1op
Oh yea i forgot i was comparing the KR kit 2 against 550d.
Hahahaha fail!

I guess somehow i feel tt if i am getting the pentax, i will be going for kit 2 because the 50-200 is certainly useful in future when i use 17-50. (;

why not just buy body only? that is alot better if u r going to get the tammy 17-50 anyway

Alright i will leave D90 out. Yea i felt D90 and the body felt good but i guess it's 2 years old already.

This is the quote i got from MSC last Sep:

And looks like the canon 550d dropped price again to 1199. :O
Really tempting because i am pretty sure i will need to use the battery grip.

Thanks for everyone's advice! I guess i will wait till around 26th Nov before i decide!
But in short, can i say IQ is almost the same for both?

erm why do you have to wait for 26th nov?

just a thought but what will you be using the camera for? take note that you are not just buying a camera but also an entire system of accessories and options as well.

eg, if you want to try underwater photography then be sure whatever camera you choose has a waterproof casing available.