Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

atomtomion

Sep 11, 2010
Guys, can anyone advise me which one to get ? Canon 550D or Nikon 3100. From what i understand the price is almost the same now right. I am a newbie so most likely need to get one body with kit lens ? any recommendation?

Before buying the camera, do you have any close friends who have already into photography ?

My view is, if your friends are using Nikon, then I suggest you to get a Nikon.
Why? So, you guys could share lenses and flashes together.

Well, I'm a Canon 550D user, and all I can say it's a good camera with spectacular features, with impressive performance with it's price.

I'm not sure about the Nikon D3100, but judging from my contextual knowledge with it's specifications, it is also a camera with up to date features.
Mind you, a HD Video function, a CMOS sensor.

Lens wise, I strongly don't suggest you to buy the kit lens just because it is cheap.

For a basic start,
I would suggest a

- Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
- Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC

The problem I see with many people here is that they buy the kit lens, and after shooting and shooting, they will tend to upgrade for a faster lens like constant f/2.8

I would suggest that you should read more and more before your purchase.

An impulse purchase will always never be a perfect purchase.

Re-purchase equipments will lead to a loss of money and time.

I see i see. right now i planning to spend around 1.2k for everything . Therefore if i buy other lens that will be over 1.2k already. Just now i went to TK foto ckeck the price, they said kit 1 is 1199 with standard items plus screen protector, filter and tripod. Then heppen to go china town and see see i ask one shop they sold 550d kit 1 at 1150 but with only standard items. which one should i buy ? and the price is around 1.2 k right ? Did anyone buy DSLR at chinatown before ? is it reliable? Can anyone advise me please. Thanks.

I see i see. right now i planning to spend around 1.2k for everything . Therefore if i buy other lens that will be over 1.2k already. Just now i went to TK foto ckeck the price, they said kit 1 is 1199 with standard items plus screen protector, filter and tripod. Then heppen to go china town and see see i ask one shop they sold 550d kit 1 at 1150 but with only standard items. which one should i buy ? and the price is around 1.2 k right ? Did anyone buy DSLR at chinatown before ? is it reliable? Can anyone advise me please. Thanks.

Why don't you just buy it at TK? or at SLRR?

For pricing info:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Last edited:
Before buying the camera, do you have any close friends who have already into photography ?

My view is, if your friends are using Nikon, then I suggest you to get a Nikon.
Why? So, you guys could share lenses and flashes together.

Well, I'm a Canon 550D user, and all I can say it's a good camera with spectacular features, with impressive performance with it's price.

I'm not sure about the Nikon D3100, but judging from my contextual knowledge with it's specifications, it is also a camera with up to date features.
Mind you, a HD Video function, a CMOS sensor.

Lens wise, I strongly don't suggest you to buy the kit lens just because it is cheap.

For a basic start,
I would suggest a

- Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
- Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC

The problem I see with many people here is that they buy the kit lens, and after shooting and shooting, they will tend to upgrade for a faster lens like constant f/2.8

I would suggest that you should read more and more before your purchase.

An impulse purchase will always never be a perfect purchase.

Re-purchase equipments will lead to a loss of money and time.

Hi, why choose Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC over VC?

Best regards.

Best regards.

Because quite a number of reputable review sites found the non-VC version to be sharper and slightly better IQ.

From http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-VC-Lens-Review.aspx
Overall, the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC lens is sharper, has less vignetting, has a similar amount of CA and has less barrel distortion on the wide end but more pincushion distortion on the long end. The non-VC 17-50 is a bit smaller and lighter. Obviously the 17-50 VC has the 4-stop-rated (I didn't test this yet) stabilization advantage.

From http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/482-tamron_1750_28vc_canon
The Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] VC is a very promising lens based on its sheer specifications. However, it falls somewhat short of the high expectations especially when considering the excellent performance of its non-VC variant. The biggest weakness of the lens is the rather soft corner/border performance at large aperture settings.

Last edited:

Best regards.

i'm a Non-VC user, the Sharpness and IQ is impressive !! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Icic thanks guys for all ur kind suggestion I think my starting fund only got 1.2 k I guess is not enough for me to get one more Lens. Can the kit Lens take good photo too right ? I hope so...

Icic thanks guys for all ur kind suggestion I think my starting fund only got 1.2 k I guess is not enough for me to get one more Lens. Can the kit Lens take good photo too right ? I hope so...

Yes, kit lens can also take good photo.

Guys, can anyone advise me which one to get ? Canon 550D or Nikon 3100. From what i understand the price is almost the same now right. I am a newbie so most likely need to get one body with kit lens ? any recommendation?

suggest you get the k-r. :bsmilie: $910 with kit lens. :heart:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB still can get 35mm f/2.4 prime lens with your 1k budget. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB $288 only. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!! :bsmilie:

Best regards.

don't really need VC that much for shorter focal lengths also.

of course, if you have in-body shake reduction, it comes with every lens, VC or no VC.. then in that case, since it's there, might as well get it. :heart::bsmilie:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB still can get 35mm f/2.4 prime lens with your 1k budget. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB $288 only. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!! :bsmilie:

the 35mm f/2.4 is impressive................. how i wish canon has that.... :D

Lol what is k-r ??

k-r is from pentax.

Canon

Nikon

Pentax

Sony

Panasonic

Olympus

Contax

Leica

Voiglander

Cosina

Fujifilm

wow, i see i see lol ... i really never heard that brand before lol... i guess i still prefer Canon ba... hahaz.... Is there any shop can pay using credit card installment without interest ? So far i ask most of the shops need to charge 3% for the installment :cry: