Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

But as I have always suggest before (in my first post), it would be better for TS to go into store to test out all the cameras and get only the one that he feel comfortable with. However since TS had already decided on either Nikon or Canon, then let it be. he might not be as adventureous and as I have already stated, camera is not a cheap thing (at least to many of us) so we would want to get something that is a piece of mind to us (the item we choose might not be the best in the market though) but at least we are comfortable with it.

So... peace man!

bro, i know what you mean....

if he go and test, and he still not comfortable, fair enough.

if he bought the camera before anyone mentioned other brands to him, it could be seen as ignorance, fair enough.

he came to cs for an opinion, and now he knows about the brand, he dismissed it without a second thought because he had "never heard of it".... you think that's fine? i really don't think that's fine. and if i can't express my opinion on the reaction, then it is a sad day for free speech... especially since i never said things like "oei! stupid! pentax good ar. huat huat huat, get it, won't go wrong one." :bsmilie:

Sometimes, its hard to get to the intent of the posts on a forum, which is why it can be misunderstood.

IMO,
If my friend is buying a camera or any other item for that matter and asked my advice, I will do the same thing. I will ask him to open up his options so that he gets a good deal. If he is brand fixated, I would try to turn him around that sort of thinking since I want the best for him. Maybe I would even scold him for being silly for being brand conscious. :bsmilie:
The good folks here are trying to help.

Better than just being totally agreeable:
Friend : "I'm buying from that 1st level store in SLS. Wow! DSLR only $1000 and they selling me special edition UWA attachment, usual price $800, now offer $500. Very good deal"

Me : "Ok" "That is great!"

Well, I'm such a "good friend " :devil:

Last edited:
Maybe you should also read my post too (which I hope you did). Many times not wanting to walk into a new area or using a new brand (new to us actually) might be stamped from many factors and reasons, it is not that because the brand is unheard of, so we don't want to use it.

You have good intention, that I know and I think TS know too... and trust me no one is getting defensive here. It is a very civilize discussion. And I know I am guilty of going for those familiar brands too.

But as I have always suggest before (in my first post), it would be better for TS to go into store to test out all the cameras and get only the one that he feel comfortable with. However since TS had already decided on either Nikon or Canon, then let it be. he might not be as adventureous and as I have already stated, camera is not a cheap thing (at least to many of us) so we would want to get something that is a piece of mind to us (the item we choose might not be the best in the market though) but at least we are comfortable with it.

It is like the car examples that I have given too.

So... peace man!

In a way the majority will get...either Toyota or Nissan or Honda just for that piece of mind. So nobody would want to consider Fiat or Škoda even it is just as good? :think:

Bro...one issue I want to take up with you is that people with unlimited spending power will think twice and three times before spending the money especially the money is earn by him.

If the money is from Daddy or Mommy then spending it is easy...no need to think.

haha, well.... good for them. i'm not one to begrudge parental love.

anyhow, beyond a certain point, i guess it doesn't matter?

in any case, i have always bought my own gear self-sufficiently, even when i was a student.

...You have good intention, that I know and I think TS know too... and trust me no one is getting defensive here. It is a very civilize discussion. And I know I am guilty of going for those familiar brands too....

Most of us are typing in a civil mood, myself included. What TS decides to do in the end have no bearing on our lives. No point getting all riled up.

But others may not read it the same. who knows? :dunno: :bsmilie:

But it is good that you are civil about it, and so are nightmare and myself.

Last edited:
Better than just being totally agreeable:
Friend : "I'm buying from that 1st level store in SLS. Wow! DSLR only $1000 and they selling me special edition UWA attachment, usual price $800, now offer $500. Very good deal"

Me : "Ok" "That is great!"

Well, I'm such a "good friend " :devil:

you'd be surprised, i bet a lot of the people who are singing "eh, get X brand. FTW one, won't go wrong." would be using the brand they are talking about.

good intentions? nah, more interested in getting more people to support whatever choice they made... :bsmilie:

you'd be surprised, i bet a lot of the people who are singing "eh, get X brand. FTW one, won't go wrong." would be using the brand they are talking about.

good intentions? nah, more interested in getting more people to support whatever choice they made... :bsmilie:

Herding effect, bro. :bsmilie::bsmilie: It is a symptom of insecurities.

In a way the majority will get...either Toyota or Nissan or Honda just for that piece of mind. So nobody would want to consider Fiat or Škoda even it is just as good? :think:

it doesn't matter, if you don't like the layout of the fiat, or the interior design, or how the dashboard looks, it's just you.

is the driver, not the car...

next up: ian thorpe will be wearing this for his next swimming competition, paired with a thick winter fleece jacket.

peacock_dress.jpg

is the swimmer, swimmer will overcome swimwear anytime. personal preference (or knowledge of choice) is not important. :bsmilie: i bet he won't win. but on the bright side, he would look really pretty streaming through the water. :bsmilie:

bro, i know what you mean....

if he go and test, and he still not comfortable, fair enough.

if he bought the camera before anyone mentioned other brands to him, it could be seen as ignorance, fair enough.

he came to cs for an opinion, and now he knows about the brand, he dismissed it without a second thought because he had "never heard of it".... you think that's fine? i really don't think that's fine. and if i can't express my opinion on the reaction, then it is a sad day for free speech... especially since i never said things like "oei! stupid! pentax good ar. huat huat huat, get it, won't go wrong one." :bsmilie:

Ok... I feel you :)

But you have did your part, suggesting something or conveying a point. And if that suggestion or advise is not being accepted or was being brushed off or reject... well... no need to get your blood pressure up a notch. Just shrug and walk away.

Peace... man.

But you have did your part, suggesting something or conveying a point. And if that suggestion or advise is not being accepted or was being brushed off or reject... well... no need to get your blood pressure up a notch. Just shrug and walk away.

lol.... i'm sorry if i conveyed the impression that i was getting pissed off...

i'm not. :) don't worry about that. if my blood pressure shot up everytime that happened, i'd be dead by now, 4 years on in cs. :bsmilie:

Sorry I am new to this field that's why a lot of brand I never heard before most of my friend is used canon that's why I prefer... At least then can teach me some knowledge... If u think that I am like so into brand then so be it... I dun really care much about it ... As long as I can get one camera and Learn how to take photo that's what's important to me

If budget is really the concern, then the more you should take a look at what pentax can offer. So far, it has been a "threat" at entry level dslr against Nikon/Canon/Sony:bsmilie:

If you really compare the entry level dslrs and their spec, you will find that Pentax does offer more for the price. Just like how sony use to target the entry level with the A200/300 series.
Ask yourself, if you really just need any 1 camera to help you kick-start, why didn't you just use your handphone or a compact camera at ~$150? you are looking for extra features to make better image I believe. Look through the options before you buy.

So to answer the question of 550D vs D3100. I am for D3100 coz they do seem to be around the same level with D3100 more competitively priced.

I agree with you 100%. Whenever friends ask me about camera or lens, I'll always advice them to go to the web and read what people says about it. Read the pros and cons of it. Bring their memory cards to the retailers and try the camera out themselves. Get a first hand or personal feel of the camera. Personally I had a friend who asked me about certain Canon or Nikon models. I gave him a lot of links to read. At the end of the day he bought a Sony A550. After using it for his 1st trip to Turkey he lamented he should have bought a Canon or Nikon. There are reasons beyond our comprehension why people after reading so much and yet decides on one brand over another. Maybe the salesman's talk was the deciding factor. People ask for opinions and as long as we give our views objectively whether they take our views into considerations when making that decision is not really our concern. Some times with too many options/brands, the process of deciding which to buy becomes complicated and at times confusing, take the easy way out.

For film camera I use Nikon. For digital photography I use Canon. PNS camera I use Lumix, Sony, Casio and DLux 4.

TS, I hope you're still here somewhere :)
lots of really useful advice being given.
the least you could do is at least consider all the advice then make a more informed decision.

good luck!

maybe he saw lots and lots of Canikon posters in Turkey too! :)

time to confine him in a room full of sony posters for 7 days and 7 nights to repent. :bsmilie:

when he is out, he will BBB every single sony camera there is. from a55 to NEX5 to a900 :bsmilie:

time to confine him in a room full of sony posters for 7 days and 7 nights to repent. :bsmilie:

when he is out, he will BBB every single sony camera there is. from a55 to NEX5 to a900 :bsmilie:
lock him in the Sony Style shop after closing time.
The ear lobes and 2 eye sockets will spell 'S-O-N-Y' ;)

I think the moral of the story here is: don't underestimate the power of branding :)

Friends, there's is no need for such sarcastic remarks. Whether he saw a lot of Nikon or Canon posters that lead him to express a regret you and I don't know. If you wish you can continue with your wild imaginations. Personally I feel this thread has turned into a thread for poking fun at others which is regretable.

Wow that's a lot of remarks from all of u and yes the TS is still here I know what u all guys trying to tell me and I really appreciate it at the end which camera I bought I guess it doesn't matter much I already read through all your comments I will look into the areas which u guys talking about...

For those people who might misunderstand any of the members here please do not misunderstand... I am glad that people actually make an effort to reply in the post I think that is really what all of us newbie want... Someone to actually guide us be it the hard way or the soft way, it's all from their experience and they are want to share with us... I guess I am really fortunate that many of the members actually do look after newbies...

Cheers for them... :)