Canon 550D VS Nikon 3100

True. You don't have to know all the brands to make a decision. You won't go wrong with either Canon 550D or Nikon D3100. :)

this one even better. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

"True. You don't have to know all the types of girlfriends to make a decision who to marry. You won't go wrong with either The Rich Girl or The Hot Girl. :)" :bsmilie:

Sorry I am new to this field that's why a lot of brand I never heard before most of my friend is used canon that's why I prefer... At least then can teach me some knowledge... If u think that I am like so into brand then so be it... I dun really care much about it ... As long as I can get one camera and Learn how to take photo that's what's important to me

all cameras are similar, which is precisely why you should consider all your options. if you had considered all your options, and decided on canon after considering them carefully, that's fair enough.

have you?

if your friend who uses canon, cannot teach you the basics of photography and how to use your camera properly (basics-wise), then i don't know what they have been doing.

the average entry level camera model today has become extremely user friendly. i dare say that i could pick up any entry level camera model and be able to do what i want to do after perhaps 15 minutes of fiddling around with the menus. which is why i'm telling you that this "my friend use X brand, so they can teach me better if i use X brand" thing is a silly, silly reason to get X brand.

anyways, i don't know, i think i'm wasting my breath here. if you're so happy to make your purchase, then good luck.... i just hope you don't jump around switching brands later on, complaining about the inadequacies of whatever brand you picked first. a well-informed decision is better than an ill-informed decision. and it seems to me that you're about to commit the latter, based on what i'm looking at now.

Last edited:
anyways, i don't know, i think i'm wasting my breath here. if you're so happy to make your purchase, then good luck.... i just hope you don't jump around switching brands later on, complaining about the inadequacies of whatever brand you picked first. a well-informed decision is better than an ill-informed decision. and it seems to me that you're about to commit the latter, based on what i'm looking at now.

aiya, you should have just put a link : "to know what a pentax can do, click here"...then the link brings to your APAD. TS will wana buy a pentax too.:bsmilie:

Last edited:
aiya, you should have just put a link : "to know what a pentax can do, click here"...then the link brings to your APAD. TS will wana buy a pentax too.:bsmilie:

:sweat: well, i could just as equally post up links to beautiful canon/nikon/olympus/sony/panasonic/etc galleries that i've seen...

my point is that he consider every single option available to him carefully. no one says that he has to scrutinize everything with a critical eye, because there are flaws in every brand... but picking what is best for you, based on your limitations (budget, etc) is the best course of action to take - not just "aiya, i pick this 2 brands la, cos they are the ones i've heard of". :)

anyhow, some will see this as brand-pushing... but my point is - try sony, try olympus, try samsung... you never know what is best for you until you know. and it's not as if cameras are *that* hard to try....?

It's true I agree with you that most of the newbie like me will consider canon or nikon first before other brand becoz of the overwhelming advertisement by the them. I do agree that other brand camera do take good photos since I have one fuji digi cam before... I know all u guys want us to know is think before we make our final decision to purchase the camera. In case some of us will spend the money yet can't get what we want... Really appreciate your kind suggestions and advices to help newbies like us to fall into any unnecessary problems.

Afterall... It all camera do produce good photo the factor is more to the photographer himself... I guess that's where the issues are all about... I think no matter what reason it is, as long as you have the hobby and passion to fall into this field that's the most important thing :)

this one even better. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

"True. You don't have to know all the types of girlfriends to make a decision who to marry. You won't go wrong with either The Rich Girl or The Hot Girl. :)" :bsmilie:

And you won't go wrong with the not rich girl or not hot girl. :bsmilie:

And you won't go wrong with the not rich girl or not hot girl. :bsmilie:

with such limited information, i won't know where i might go wrong or right.

i would really want to know more information first, instead of just giving very brief conditions (e.g. rich, hot, heard-of-brand) :bsmilie:

Afterall... It all camera do produce good photo the factor is more to the photographer himself... I guess that's where the issues are all about... I think no matter what reason it is, as long as you have the hobby and passion to fall into this field that's the most important thing :)

that is correct.

of course, if you have unlimited spending power, then i guess just getting anything... and then switching later on is also fine.

but i think, since that was not mentioned, better to err on the side of caution. anyways, i think you've gotten my point, and i hope you keep it in mind when making the decision.... it would be sad if you realised a few months later that X brand is not what you want, and neither is Y brand. and then when you consider A brand, B brand and G brand, they all seem much better than before.

usually when someone has considered things carefully, they will be much more convicted. of course, there is no foolproof method - some things you will only realise after you use the camera for an extended period... but for most things, they can be sighted out (especially through user accounts, both biased, unbiased, take everything with a pinch of salt).

if i had taken the quick path and just bought "what was popular", i'm not sure if i'd be pleased today. at that time, i remember reading, reading, reading... and pentax offered great value for money, as it still does today. does this mean that i push pentax at everyone? no. all i do is present the fact that there is another choice. and not considering it is not being fair to yourself.

cheers.

Last edited:
i don't mind people not hearing about the brand before

it's just a bit sad when people just dismiss it, though... not that i really mind (because as you say, i'm use to it), but it's just quite interesting to me how people would not even put up a suggestion for consideration without giving a reason, save "have not heard about it".

i mean, we're not even talking about some Aplie (china ripoff of Apple, perhaps) or Suny (china ripoff of Sony, perhaps). Pentax is an established brand, that has been around for quite some time, since the film slr days. but because of the lack of advertisement (and perhaps, user base and widespread general ignorance of newcomers)... it is just... dismissed. :bsmilie:

and... that is what makes me sad. that we (i'm talking about singaporean photographers, collectively) have become a bunch of sheep who are unable to consider options, but only what is fed to us via widespread advertisement/media/word of mouth.

back in 2006, i had never heard about pentax either.

I feel you bro.

I have heard of Pentax. My dad had a Pentax SLR which he later sold. I fiddled with it. It is also sad that people have not heard of Contax. Many people nowadays think it is some china brand. ;) :bsmilie:

But the Chinese in China know Pentax well. And there is quite a big following there. Same for Contax. Generally, the chinese do a lot more research and end up much being much smarter consumers than the general typical Singaporean.

Last edited:
It's true I agree with you that most of the newbie like me will consider canon or nikon first before other brand becoz of the overwhelming advertisement by the them. I do agree that other brand camera do take good photos since I have one fuji digi cam before... I know all u guys want us to know is think before we make our final decision to purchase the camera. In case some of us will spend the money yet can't get what we want... Really appreciate your kind suggestions and advices to help newbies like us to fall into any unnecessary problems.

This is what we have been trying to tell you all this time.

Brands do not matter. But we are telling you some brands do offer a lot more value for less money. And seeing how you have a tight budget, may work better for you.

But in the end, it is your money. How you want to spend it is also up to you.

with such limited information, i won't know where i might go wrong or right.

i would really want to know more information first, instead of just giving very brief conditions (e.g. rich, hot, heard-of-brand) :bsmilie:

Not saying that the point you are trying to convey is wrong or what. But there are a manitude of reasons for TS not wanting to try out brand that he/she had not used or even heard of.

True when I start using a SLR (one year ago) I also went immediately to the more well known brand like Canon and Nikon, and I have even comtemplate on the Olympus and in the end I chose Canon because most of my point and shoot camera came from that brand too. And it gave me some confidence in the quality of the camera.

Of course I read alot of review and most are good. Then it is Canon for me.

You have shown your wisdom in testing out many different brands before settling on a single one, but sometime you have to give other people some benefit of doubt as to why he or she only choose some brands and narrow down to those brands rather than taking a step into uncharted water (for he or herself).

There are always other reasons why we do not want to try out brands that we have not even heard of, maybe we are ignorant. But maybe there are other reasons too.

Camera is not a cheap thing (at least for alot of us). And so we wanted to go for something that can give us a piece of mind... rather than try something 'new' to us that in the end might give us more headache (of course I am not saying anything bad about Pentax or other brands outside Nikon and Canon), this is human nature and I hope you would accept this as a fact and not just a norm for us only.

And many of us are not as adventurous too (and that is a fact too) so the best way to do thing is to go for a brand that we are familiar with, have friends using them, had used them before (and liked it) and also read heaps of good reviews on.

Finally think of it this way... everyone is used to driving Korean and Japanese or even continental cars. Then came a car from India (not Jaguar) or China... I believe few of us would be adventureous enough to buy one... but maybe, these cars are excellent too.

I don't think it's really fair to rave at a person for being naive to the existence of other brands of cameras. That's why they are called "newbies". Even if they decides on a known brand without considering the existence of other brands we can't say they are wrong. Being new they don't really understand the technicalities of the cameras. To them their decision maybe based on numbers. A lot of people buy Canon or Nikon and so if I buy I'm won't be wrong. To a certain extend we've to agree to that. I can safely say different brand cameras within the same level performs equally well. Experts like some of you, of course can says this brand has better IQ, or the other brand is more friendly user, etc. To a newbie, it's probably alien to them. Someone wrote on ClubSnap that he can't understand what it mean by crop 1.6. He thought 50mm cropped means the focal distance is 70mm. So whatever decision someone makes, let's give our respect for neither you or me knows how much photography knowledge the person has when making that decision.

Someone once asked me "For good photography how many % is skill and how many % is equipment. You decides.

I don't think it's really fair to rave at a person for being naive to the existence of other brands of cameras. That's why they are called "newbies". Even if they decides on a known brand without considering the existence of other brands we can't say they are wrong. Being new they don't really understand the technicalities of the cameras. To them their decision maybe based on numbers. A lot of people buy Canon or Nikon and so if I buy I'm won't be wrong. To a certain extend we've to agree to that. I can safely say different brand cameras within the same level performs equally well. Experts like some of you, of course can says this brand has better IQ, or the other brand is more friendly user, etc. To a newbie, it's probably alien to them. Someone wrote on ClubSnap that he can't understand what it mean by crop 1.6. He thought 50mm cropped means the focal distance is 70mm. So whatever decision someone makes, let's give our respect for neither you or me knows how much photography knowledge the person has when making that decision.

Someone once asked me "For good photography how many % is skill and how many % is equipment. You decides.

please read my previous post, you obviously misunderstand my point.

well, like they always say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

perhaps i shouldn't bother the next time round - try to present the so-called newcomer with a balanced view of things, also will have people come and berate you for "raving". wonder if there is some amount of self-defense here: "hey, i didn't do that either. i feel bad that this guy is like me and seems to be getting the heat, so i decide to explain it for him." please note the use of the word "perhaps" - this is not the first time i have pointed out that a lot of the discussion here that happens on clubsnap involves egos and pride and choices that already have been made (and defending them, especially when it comes to purchasing particular brands of cameras), so please do not think that i am targeting anyone personally here. i'm not, for crying out loud. cheers.

so you think that since equipment does not matter as much as skill, anyone can get anything? everyone has a reason for getting what they're getting. i don't think anyone here would be able to say with a clear conscience that they just GRABBED any brand off the shelf and started taking photos without any preference. that's pushing the point a bit too far.

every brand has their pros and cons, and all i'm asking here is that the threadstarter is aware of them, before he makes his decision. is that so hard to differentiate from a gearwhore's point of view?

Last edited:

We give respect, that is why we even bother to post here. We understand what they are going through, that is why we tell them to slow down and look at other brands. We see their situation, that is why we point out that there are other brands out there that offer more for less money so they can save more for their already tight budget.

If we do not care, we will not post. We are not raving. We are trying to cause a reaction from the newbie so he would at least have an attitude change and start looking at the bigger picture and not walk down the same money wasting paths some of us have gone down before. And if that requires some harsher tone, we are willing to be labelled as "ravers" if what we do cause a positive reaction and make them start looking at all the options and ultimately help them.

Call it tough love if you wish. But at least we are do a lot more good than the people sprouting nonsense like "Buy xxxx FTW" or " Buy xxxx brand or xxxxx brand" kind of statements. And at the risk of being labelled too.

To put things in perspective, I am a Nikon user BTW.

Last edited:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And if that requires some harsher tone, we are willing to be labelled as "ravers" if what we do cause a positive reaction and make them start looking at all the options and ultimately help them.

actually, i don't think anyone has been very harsh?

if anyone finds this harsh, better not catch deadpoet on a bad day with a xmm photo in your hand..

actually, i don't think anyone has been very harsh?

if anyone finds this harsh, better not catch deadpoet on a bad day with a xmm photo in your hand..

I was a tad harsher in one of my posts, in today's emo sensitive singapore context.

Sometimes I wonder why we even do this.

Might as well join them... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
please read my previous post, you obviously misunderstand my point.

well, like they always say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

perhaps i shouldn't bother the next time round - try to present the so-called newcomer with a balanced view of things, also will have people come and berate you for "raving". wonder if there is some amount of self-defense here: "hey, i didn't do that either. i feel bad that this guy is like me and seems to be getting the heat, so i decide to explain it for him." please note the use of the word "perhaps" - this is not the first time i have pointed out that a lot of the discussion here that happens on clubsnap involves egos and pride and choices that already have been made, so please do not think that i am targeting anyone personally here. i'm not, for crying out loud. cheers. out of here.

Maybe you should also read my post too (which I hope you did). Many times not wanting to walk into a new area or using a new brand (new to us actually) might be stamped from many factors and reasons, it is not that because the brand is unheard of, so we don't want to use it.

You have good intention, that I know and I think TS know too... and trust me no one is getting defensive here. It is a very civilize discussion. And I know I am guilty of going for those familiar brands too.

But as I have always suggest before (in my first post), it would be better for TS to go into store to test out all the cameras and get only the one that he feel comfortable with. However since TS had already decided on either Nikon or Canon, then let it be. he might not be as adventureous and as I have already stated, camera is not a cheap thing (at least to many of us) so we would want to get something that is a piece of mind to us (the item we choose might not be the best in the market though) but at least we are comfortable with it.

It is like the car examples that I have given too.

So... peace man!

of course, if you have unlimited spending power, then i guess just getting anything... and then switching later on is also fine.

Bro...one issue I want to take up with you is that people with unlimited spending power will think twice and three times before spending the money especially the money is earn by him.

If the money is from Daddy or Mommy then spending it is easy...no need to think.

Sometimes I wonder why we even do this.

Might as well join them... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

next time, we will see somewhere:

go hawker centre, eat anything, all the same. you will sure be happy one. eat char kway teow, or eat prawn noodle, doesn't matter one. must see the skill of the person eating, see if he can adapt to all sorts of food.

as much as we 'd like to think that all equipment is the same, this doesn't extend to everything. sure, maybe a photo could be produced by a nikon, a hello kitty camera, a canon, a pentax. but extending this to say that going for the most popular brands is fine because equipment is not as important as skills neglects the fact that people have preferences. and that is absolutely ridiculous to me. i guess when people are in too deep, they will twist the opposite side's arguments to suit their own tune. :bsmilie:

Last edited: