Canon 550D or 50D

apcaw

Oct 3, 2008
Good day to all.

Hope all is well.

I am looking into purchasing a DSLR and is really confused as to which one should I buy. I love taking landscape, places, photo session (nude photography) and events (concerts/ parties/ launches/ fashion shows). But I do this all for fun (hobbiest) but still join some photo contest once in a while.

I have narrowed my choices to the 50D and 550D. I have browsed through the forum already and I am sure you often get this comparative question...which one do you suggest?

Below are some of my detailed questions/ considerations:
  • Price is a concern and I'm opting for the mid-range SLRs. (we rule out the Mark and XDs)
  • I used to consider the 500D but since the 550D will be soon out, this is one of my choice. Does anyone have any idea when it will specifically be available in Asia (Philippines)?
  • I am quite hesitant w/ the 50D since it was released in 2008 and has no video. Wouldn't be the 50D be below standard of the upcoming 550D (I know that 550D is a beginner compared to the 50D being a semi-pro camera).
    Another reason why I'm hesitant with the 50D is that it doesn't have video recording.
    Why I am hesitant with the 550D is that it might not be suitable (enough) for my shooting requirements.

Hope anyone can give me a clearer picture. I would really appreciate it.

IQ: 550D over 50D, at least according to 550D previews. (40D is even better than 50D)

AF Speed: xxDs are good on these.

ERGO: personally i hate rebels. coz its too small for my hands, only one wheel knob, & i use AF-ON alot.

BUILT: hands down, you should know which one is better

VIDEO/FPS: i dont care, but its a nice feature.

get 550D with grip, 2 batteries and 50mm f1.8, dont get the kit lens. mayb u can get the tamron 17-50 if u r willing to spend.

wait for 60D to come out then make a decision since u want video function.

wait for 60D to come out then make a decision since u want video function.

When will the 60D come out here in Asia (Manila)? Any ideas?

When will the 60D come out here in Asia (Manila)? Any ideas?

Still rumors dude. Not event officially launch. Unless you know someone top rank in Canon who make decision when 60D will be launched ;p

Thanks for the replies.

When is the release date of the 550D in Asia (Manila)?

my fear for the 550D is that it might be too a "beginner" cam for my needs (shooting events). But I do have to acknowledge the fact that the SLRs classes are getting too thin (bridging over the other) with all these new releases.

my fear for the 550D is that it might be too a "beginner" cam for my needs (shooting events). But I do have to acknowledge the fact that the SLRs classes are getting too thin (bridging over the other) with all these new releases.

What kind of events? Do you need 6.3fps? :dunno:

If you think 550D is too 'beginner', then you can take the semi pro (xxD series).

If you dont really need it urgently, maybe can wait (early next month?) for 550D detail review...

Thanks for the replies.

When is the release date of the 550D in Asia (Manila)?

the 500D or 550D may be feature packed...but i still think ergonomics is very impt for me. Go down to the shops and try holding the xxxD and xxD series...the xxD feels extremely good for me. In fact it made me pay the extra 500-600 for the 50D over the 500D yet forfeit the video capability of the 500D.

The shop owner kept telling that the 500D was a better buy and i could use the money for better lens..but i insisted on the 50D.

If video capabilities is a must, then by all means go for the 550D or maybe the 60D(i have no idea when it will be out). Else you can get a 50D or 2nd hand 40D for about $850

i dunno but im considering ditching my 50D for the 550D because it just nice fits my needs. just nice. but then again, its downgrading. i love the size, but i dun like the plastic feel to it.

i dunno but im considering ditching my 50D for the 550D because it just nice fits my needs. just nice. but then again, its downgrading. i love the size, but i dun like the plastic feel to it.

hehe i know what you mean. I've also considered that as well. But when it comes to actually doing it, i dont think i can bear to part with my 50D:lovegrin:

hehe i know what you mean. I've also considered that as well. But when it comes to actually doing it, i dont think i can bear to part with my 50D:lovegrin:

550D with grip will settle the ergo. anyway if its pro, semi pro or pro, if u r good, the pictures will be good. its not the cam, its how u use the cam, 550D saves u the money.

What kind of events? Do you need 6.3fps? :dunno:

I shoot events like fashion shows and parties. I always get irritatied if I get off focus shots since your subjects moves a lot and lights from the venue changes everytime (not to mention some smoke effects that blurs the images more).

550D with grip will settle the ergo. anyway if its pro, semi pro or pro, if u r good, the pictures will be good. its not the cam, its how u use the cam, 550D saves u the money.

True. A grip to the 550D would help solve the handling issue. If I do decide to purchase a 50D now, wouldn't be not that advisable since its an old model (2008 released)?

Not sure I can wait for the 60D with having no date to hold on to and price tag.

It does seem like a downgrade. From a semi pro to a beginner class. But then again, the gaps between classes are getting thin.

the 500D or 550D may be feature packed...but i still think ergonomics is very impt for me. Go down to the shops and try holding the xxxD and xxD series...the xxD feels extremely good for me. In fact it made me pay the extra 500-600 for the 50D over the 500D yet forfeit the video capability of the 500D.

The shop owner kept telling that the 500D was a better buy and i could use the money for better lens..but i insisted on the 50D.

If video capabilities is a must, then by all means go for the 550D or maybe the 60D(i have no idea when it will be out). Else you can get a 50D or 2nd hand 40D for about $850

Same here with me. The shop keeps on teling me that the 500D is there best seller and recommended buy.

Video is an important thing too since I would like to capture those family moments in video too. Aarrgghh. The pros and cons are endless. :bigeyes:

If you think 550D is too 'beginner', then you can take the semi pro (xxD series).

If you dont really need it urgently, maybe can wait (early next month?) for 550D detail review...

My worry on the XXD are that they are old models. Do you still recommend purchasing one XXD? Can't seem to wait for the 60D when the date of release is still up in the air.

I shoot events like fashion shows and parties. I always get irritatied if I get off focus shots since your subjects moves a lot and lights from the venue changes everytime (not to mention some smoke effects that blurs the images more).

Actually the focus mode used & lenses focusing speed matter more that the body (if you are using center AF for both). Given to "additional effects", having some "blur" images is quite common in such events, I think even if you are using a 1Ds series no one can guarantee that every shots taken is tact sharp (correct me if I am wrong). Only that with more fps the chances of getting in a winning shot is better.