Canon 50mm F1.2L vs F1.4

Is it worth it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I have to say the size and weight of the 1.4 is very good for travel. But I'm spoiled by being able to shoot 1.2 :p

Last edited:
Snoweagle said:
When u get a FF body and use the 1.2L, u will see the difference.

which is? can explain? I never use it on ff before n I might rent it this weekend..

SCULDER said:
which is? can explain? I never use it on ff before n I might rent it this weekend..

*In my best Morpheus voice*
"Unfortunately, nobody can be told of just how cool the f/1.2 is. You would have to see it for yourself."

Blur Shadow said:
*In my best Morpheus voice*
"Unfortunately, nobody can be told of just how cool the f/1.2 is. You would have to see it for yourself."

let's not forget the 85mm f1.2l..Lol

Since you're at it. Go rent it. Its best you try and see for yourself. No amount of explaining is better than you trying it yourself. :)

Just to show u one of my pics. Still my fave though.

Picture5-3.jpg

Sharing a shot done at 1.2.

7106155685_7a8b9ac709_c.jpg

A little bigger here

Ryan

One good thing about the f1.2, is that you can shoot in really dark places, including museums where flash photography isn't allowed:

402480_2989090399567_898815453_n.jpg

Above were shot at f1.2 and it IS sharp. I shot this through tempered glass handheld.

Last edited:
Kenneth67C said:
One good thing about the f1.2, is that you can shoot in really dark places, including museums where flash photography isn't allowed:

Above were shot at f1.2 and it IS sharp. I shot this through tempered glass handheld.

Agree. I've shot in almost total darkness before in a private event with smoke machines and still able to lock on everytime.

Is the 50L problematic on the 5D III when focussing? I read a lot about the focus shift on this lens.

Is the 50L problematic on the 5D III when focussing? I read a lot about the focus shift on this lens.

You know...a lot of rumors and perhaps misconceptions surround the 50L IMO.
They say focus shift occurs at near MFD.

In my experience with this lens, I've never encountered focus shift. The hunting at MFD is because you are trying to focus on an object that is too near, the lens cannot lock onto the subject and so it hunts. This is perfectly normal.

I've never had problems with the 50L on the 5D3 or 1D4.

I think it also depends on your copy of the 50L. So far so gd on mine even after a few years of usage.

Snoweagle said:
I think it also depends on your copy of the 50L. So far so gd on mine even after a few years of usage.

Brother one quick question. Do you think the optical performance of L lenses deteriorate after the usage of a few years? Any optical shift noticed due to the poor construction? Dust accumulation and fungal growth are exceptions. What I heard is that with proper care, these glasses can perform at the same level for as many years as 10. Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Brother one quick question. Do you think the optical performance of L lenses deteriorate after the usage of a few years? Any optical shift noticed due to the poor construction? Dust accumulation and fungal growth are exceptions. What I heard is that with proper care, these glasses can perform at the same level for as many years as 10. Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

No it doesn't deteriorate. I store all my lenses in my dry cabinet and clean after every use, that's how I maintain my lenses...including my DSLR.

This would be a great multi-year test. I read a post quite some time ago from a poster who was adamant that his Canon 17-55 lens deteriorated over 3 to 4 years. He brought it back to Canon to recalibrate. Of course we'll never know unless a uniform, well controlled test is performed over several years.

I can't help but think that all lenses are subject to eventual front/back focusing issues over an extended period of use. I also think that the moving parts of the lens including the "IS" mechanism is subject to wear and tear.

Given enough time (whether through use or dis-use), all systems must break down. This has been attested in a documentary which showed if man were suddenly wiped out, everything that he has created including large structures like buildings and transportation infrastructures (bridges, tunnels, etc.) would break down sooner than most of us would think.

raydio said:
This would be a great multi-year test. I read a post quite some time ago from a poster who was adamant that his Canon 17-55 lens deteriorated over 3 to 4 years. He brought it back to Canon to recalibrate. Of course we'll never know unless a uniform, well controlled test is performed over several years.

I can't help but think that all lenses are subject to eventual front/back focusing issues over an extended period of use. I also think that the moving parts of the lens including the "IS" mechanism is subject to wear and tear.

Given enough time (whether through use or dis-use), all systems must break down. This has been attested in a documentary which showed if man were suddenly wiped out, everything that he has created including large structures like buildings and transportation infrastructures (bridges, tunnels, etc.) would break down sooner than most of us would think.

What a surprise! ;)

Still it really amazes me why some people are so worry about their item breaking down or will it work after many years. Yea i know its expensive that why u are concern But.
These tools/gear are electronics and so they will eventually break down or get into problem in time to come. And that is the price of this hobby. Able to purchase it is 1 thing. Able to support it in a long run or not. That's another thing (not a secret, one should be aware that the more costly your gear are..the more it going to cost if it got into trouble?). And please. Even your house and car that cost even much more dont last forever. :bsmilie: